KIV Community

kicking kid

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

kicking kid

Postby Mommyinthesun on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 am

So my daughter when upset loves to kick me when she's in time out. She will run to her room grab a toy and run back to time out. I'll walk over grab the toy not saying anything to her and walk away before I do get "into the clear" she kicks me"

I've grounded her for it many times by taking away toy and TV privalages but nothing is sinking in. She just doesn't care. She doesn't care for her own safety either so I'm at a point to I am looking for maybe something else that will be more effective? Any advice?
Mommyinthesun
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: kicking kid

Postby TazDevil on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:14 am

Yup. What she said. Kids win power struggles. I never bothered to engage in one because they are always attention getting for the kids which is a win for them.

With DS we used the (heated) garage for his space to think. It wasn't a specific time-out or for punishment. He could come out when he wasn't angry anymore. We just wanted him separated from out attention and not in his room with the toys.

Maybe try to figure out what the cause is? Kids misbehave because of a reason. Maybe it is attention or control. Maybe give her both in a positive way so she won't need to demand it in a negative one?
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting