KIV Community

Help!! Routines at 6 months? Is it truly possible?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Help!! Routines at 6 months? Is it truly possible?

Postby Jax on Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:32 pm

Jax
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby B&T on Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:42 pm

I hear your pain. My dd had no schedule forever, or so I thought. I was a slow learner (not saying you are!) and it took me forever to identify her needs. I couldn't tell when she was hungry, tired or over/understimulated. Then I started reading some books that talked about sleep and realized that I was the problem. I wasn't aware of her signs showing me she was tired. I also didn't know how frequently she should be sleeping. I know every baby is different, but at about 6 months, he should be showing the signs.
It sounds like he has started the typical 2- 2 hour naps. This should continue for awhile, assuming he's not sick or teething. If he is teething which you seem to think he is, maybe try some teething tablets or tylenol. Maybe his sleep schedule is off because of the teething pain, and if you can take the pain away he might sleep better.

It is hard to get out when they nap twice a day. For me, I can get out from 1-3 that's it! But, try and enjoy all that time to yourself because he'll be on to one nap a day before you know it!
B&T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Jax on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Of course today he is already on his 3rd nap!! Hopefully in a few days things will be back to normal and we can start trying to get into a proper routine. At least then I'll somewhat know what to expect.
Thanks again.
Jax
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:18 pm

growth spurts always cause more sleep needs too.

With my first, we could never get to a group, because my son slept in, and then napped again at 11, so the groups were already started or over. if you're interested, here's what I did. I had weight to lose (big time. or big bum?) so everymorning, when we got up, I drank a bunch of water, nursed him, put him in the stroller and went for an hour-long power walk in our neighbourhood. I mapped out a route, and for me it was nice to go the same way everyday. look at houses, think to myself, have a calm, quiet time. then we'd get home and he'd nap, I'd sower and eat brekkie ( a tasty protein shake). And the rest of the day filled up with errands, house stuff. and to meet other moms, I found the La Leche League groups. Sorry, I don't mean to assume you are breastfeeding. Anyway, there meetings were in the afternoons, and I found it much easier to meet other moms there, as we could really chat, unlike playgroups, as I learned later. and I got some numbers, got bold, and made playdates for tea at my house or whatever. I never used to be one to 'seek' out friends, and be the first to make the phone call, but this motherhood gig is different thananything else, and you need your friends, your community. and I knew it wasn't going to come to my door unless I invited it.
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Angie Legacy on Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:08 pm

We started a routine with my son the first week he was home... Every night we did play time, bath , feed and down to sleep.
Obviously he didn't sleep through the night right away but by 8 weeks he would sleep through the night and then we started a morning routine and so on... Now we have him on a routine that is pretty much the same, although we do leave room for some changes as neccessary but it has worked miracles for us
Angie Legacy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mookie's mum on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:49 pm

mookie's mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Jax on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:10 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. We seem to be coming around a little bit now. We have had a similar 'routine' for the last couple of days. I guess I won't let it worry me. I'll just go with the flow.
Jax
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Parenting