KIV Community

Similarly Minded Folk?

Want to meet with other parents and their kids? Maybe set up a playgroup, or go on a group hike? If so, this is the place to do it. Connect with other parents, let them know what you're planning, and enjoy each other's company.

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Similarly Minded Folk?

Postby jeanbean78 on Mon May 14, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone,
My family is relatively new to Victoria. We have a 1 year old son and have not done a very good job of connecting with other families who share our philosophy of life, kids, etc. So we are coming out of our shells in hopes of expanding our community!
We are looking for families who are active, outdoorsy, inclined toward attachment parenting but not dogmatic about it (or anything else in life!). We are spiritually inclined people who love a good conversation about any religion or spiritual exploration. Our health care approach is alternative as I am in the field of complementary medicine, and our lifestyle reflects these values. In other words- we want friends who are not afraid that we have not vaccinated our child and who value a very conscious approach to food. We enjoy (and are in need of!) a few good laughs. And while we love our boy dearly, both my husband and I are self employed professionals who also love our work in the world, hence we are passionate about balance in our life.
Please be in touch if you resonate with any of this or if you know of anyone who sounds a little off beat, like we are!

Thank you for reading~
Cheers!
jeanbean78
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Similarly Minded Folk?

Postby JLSmith on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi! I just recently moved to Victoria as well! My son is 4 but he gets along with younger kids too. I moved here to study Acupuncture and I'm finishing up my BA in psychology online this summer. I've been out exploring the beaches and parks with my son quite a bit, I'd love some company the next time I go out.
Beanjean made me laugh, that was my sister's nickname when she was a kid!
JLSmith
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Annabanana on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Hello there,

I know your message is quite old, but if you are still interested in meeting people, I would like to say I am in the same boat as far as meeting similarly minded people. Most of my friends do not have children or live for away if they do. Like you, I am concerned about what I eat, am inclined towards, but not dogmatic about attachment parenting, and very interested in spirituality. As for what I value in a person, kindness first, then open-mindedness. One thing that seems odd to mention, is that I am not interested in befriending anyone who is not conscious of their class privilege. I do not care is someone is rich and well educated, but if they judge anyone who is not this is a problem.

I should mention that my child is a very outgoing and warm two and a half year old. We especially love outdoor adventures.
Annabanana
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby muminvic on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:07 am

I think I have some things in common with all of you and would love to meet for a playdate sometime. We moved here about a year ago and have had a very hard time meeting new people here. My son is 2 years old and really does love to play with others and just stand back and watch the big kids play!
Eats on Feets: Connecting Babies and Breast Milk
From informal to informed -- Eats On Feets, the leading resource for community based breastmilk sharing. Eats On Feets is a world-wide network for those who have made the informed choice to share breastmilk.

https://www.facebook.com/eatsonfeetsvancouverisland
muminvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Playgroups & Outings