KIV Community

companion for s/n 12 yr old boy

An inclusive forum for all special families and their supporters. Come and share your resources, information, and experiences. Make valuable new connections and provide support to others.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

companion for s/n 12 yr old boy

Postby beany on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:50 am

Does anyone know where I would find possiblities for firing a "friend" to do things with a high functioning almost 13 yr old boy. I would like to start out with a couple of hours a week where someone can take him out in the community to shoot hoops or go for ice cream , take the bus etc. The things we take for granted but he can learn from his friend by doing with him. This is my dream but I don't know how to make it come true for J. In spring break and the summer I would need to hire "friend " more of course or maybe even have more "friends".He does not need to be baby sat just have an external brain for him when he is out and about. Thoughts...I need ideas how to find people in order to assist him in the independence process. I have thought of going to the high school in our area and discussing with them my issue. I am thinking a later teen boy or young man would be best, one that is patient and understanding of a very kind , lively boy who has trouble getting his thoughts together and out. Help...I know people here have a wealth of experience
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: companion for s/n 12 yr old boy

Postby michelle 37 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:49 pm

here some place u may email and see how they can help

http://www.canassist.ca/EN/main/programs.html

http://rivonline.org/services

http://www.lifetimenetworks.org/

and if you not marry just living with other u can do this . I have done it
get a big

http://www.bbbsvictoria.com/en/Home/default.aspx

TEEN COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS

Teen Community Connections (TCC) is an inclusive program for youth living with developmental disabilities between the ages of 13 and 18. Program staff help support students to make friends, develop social and life skills and access the community. Support is offered up to three days per week after-school from September to June. The program also runs through the summer as a full day camp in July to August. Over 35 families are currently supported by TCC. To be eligible for the program, youth must be accessing or waitlisted for Supported Child Development funding.

For more information on Teen Community Connections, please call 250-477-7231 local 237
and they do a summer camp
michelle 37
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beany on Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you Michelle 37. I will do some checking in to what is appropriate for him.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby nolan's mom on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:20 pm

I would also suggest posting an ad at UVIC or Camosun. You might find a student who would be interested in doing something like this and they may also have the added benefit of being somewhat skilled.
nolan's mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Special Families, Special Friends