KIV Community

Discovery School

An inclusive forum for all special families and their supporters. Come and share your resources, information, and experiences. Make valuable new connections and provide support to others.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Discovery School

Postby BCdreamin on Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 am

Does anyone have any impressions to share about Discovery School?

TIA!
BCdreamin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Discovery School

Postby StitchedUp on Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am

A co-worker sent her child to Discovery School and was very happy with it.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tracy on Tue May 06, 2014 2:58 pm

I know that if we ever won the lotto this is the first school we would look at to send our youngest :D WAY out of our league -so wish that was not the case, she would love it there, and thrive!

I have heard amazing things about it!
tracy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby BCdreamin on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:10 am

Can you share any more? It would be great to hear in particular what you think are the great things about the school? My understanding was that it was partially funded and therefore not terribly expensive but am I wrong?

Thanks so much!
BCdreamin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby StitchedUp on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:21 am

Tuition is just over $7,000 per year. I can see how one family might find that manageable (like my co-worker) and another might not.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Laurie-Ann on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Our son has just finished his 2nd year at Discovery. It has changed his life and our life as a family in so many positive ways. His self esteem has gone from 0% to 75%. He suffers from severe Adhd and has many learning disabilities. The limit on class sizes are no more than 10 kids per class and that class has a teacher and an EA. Yes there is a cost and this makes our family financially challenged, but we had to do something good because he was getting lost in the regular system. He was going into grade 4 with but was only at a beginning grade 1 level. They wouldn't hold him back and he didn't qualify for help. He starts grade 6 in September and is at a middle grade 4 to beginning grade 5 level. He's so happy and we are thrilled. The staff there is outstanding. We are so happy we have been able to do this for him. Email me privately if you want and if you'd like to meet and chat more I would do that too. HTC.

Laurie-Ann
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 pm

It is an amazing school. We have friends who attend and love it. Due to the high staffing ratio of 1 teacher and EA to 10 children their fees are about $700 per month I think? However the school is designed for kids with learning challenges and provides programs that the public school cannot.

They have to Grade 12 now so kids can graduate from there too which is great.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Special Families, Special Friends