KIV Community

Kazuo Ishiguro books

You guessed it, this is a forum all about books. What you're reading now, which ones you like, which ones you don't, and anything else to do with books.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Kazuo Ishiguro books

Postby Sue on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Grabbed "Never Let Me Go" from the library shelf on a whim. Still not sure how I feel about it and not sure if I want to read others from him... He also wrote "The Remains of the Day" and "When We Were Orphans", among others...
"We do the best we can with what we
know, and when we know better, we do better."
Maya Angelou
Sue

Region:

Re: Kazuo Ishiguro books

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Haven't read it but saw the movie. Disturbing, but also beautiful too. Now I am curious as to his (her?) other novels.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Kazuo Ishiguro books

Postby Myshkin on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm

I read "Remains of the Day" years ago. It was very good, but I remember thinking that because the movie is soooooo well done the book wasn't as much better than the movie as books usually tend to be. If that makes sense.

Remains of the Day wasn't much like "Never Let Me Go." I enjoyed Never Let Me Go, but it had kind of a sad emptiness to it. Remains is more like a mainstream novel but with some very beautiful and human themes. I'd say it's quite worth reading. And certainly watch the film: Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins and enough symbolism that you find something new at least the first half dozen times :)

I haven't read When we Were Orphans.
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Sir Winston Churchill
Myshkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Books, books, books