KIV Community

There has got to be more people reading!

You guessed it, this is a forum all about books. What you're reading now, which ones you like, which ones you don't, and anything else to do with books.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: There has got to be more people reading!

Postby Estelle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 pm

CharleneK wrote:I loved the book Memoirs of a Geisha, but don't want to see the movie in case it wrecks it for me, know what I mean? ;-)

I loved the book and the movie. There are some differences but overall the movie was really well done. It's on netflix and I've probably watched it 7 times.
You can't use logic to talk someone out of a belief they didn't use logic to get themselves into.
Estelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Ok, good to know! Maybe I will put it on hold at the library; it has been many years ago since I read it, so the differences from the book to the movie might not be as apparent to me now with the passage of time! ;-)
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Myshkin on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:12 pm

T wrote:I just remember the masacre of 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. I had to take a client to see 'Simon Birch' and I just about cried the entire way through it as it was so horribly done. And that is one of my favourite books and that movie was just an insult to it. It still bothers me to this day (must let it go...).

This made me smile. I watched Simon Birch first so actually enjoyed it but it certainly doesn't compare with Owen Meany. At least it doesn't have the same title, maybe it just accidentally resembles the book ;) What a wonderful and strange story,it's definitely a favourite. Have you read "The World According to Garp"?

I found the movie versions of The Remains of the Day and The Shawshank Redemption better than the books. Not much but a smidge.

I just finished Call the Midwife ( and it's two sequels) by Jennifer Worth. It's a memoir. A really good read. The show is great too, pretty true to the feel of the book.

Love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Sir Winston Churchill
Myshkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:26 pm

I loved the book and the movie. There are some differences but overall the movie was really well done. It's on netflix and I've probably watched it 7 times.
Ok, I finally watched it & it was quite well done, a pleasant surprise! :)
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ivy-Girl on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:55 am

I just started the neatest book. I''m a huge Jane Austen fan and have read all of her books a number of times...but I've stayed away from the fan fiction that has come out about the family, Mr Darcy this, Mr. Darcy's that...just doesn't work for me. This book called LONGBOURN is about the staff that serve the Bennetts, so the Bennetts are not the main characters, they just a placed here and there in the story in passing. The main character is Sarah a housemaid for the Bennetts. So far, it's fabulous! I love upstairs/downstairs stuff...trouble is in my mind in this book I'm using all the Downton Abbey faces for the characters! :lol:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/173 ... earch=true
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

Woot!

The sequel for 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' is out today :) I just downloaded 'Hollow City' by Ransom Riggs but I'm not sure where it's going to fall on my reading list right now.

Other books that are on my recently read or waiting to get to them list:

*The Cuckoo's Calling (Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling)
*Half Blood Blues (Esi Edugyan) But this one has been on my kobo for some time and keeps getting passed by so I'm not sure if I really want to actually read it now or not.
*Paris: The Novel (Edward Rutherfurd)
*The Aviator's Wife (Melanie Benjamin)
*Escape From Camp 14 (Blaine Harden) but that one has to wait until I'm in the right mood and headspace to read
*The 'Divergent' trilogy (Veronica Roth)
*The Harem Midwife (Roberta Rich)
*The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared (Jonas Jonasson)
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Myshkin wrote:
T wrote:I just remember the masacre of 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. I had to take a client to see 'Simon Birch' and I just about cried the entire way through it as it was so horribly done. And that is one of my favourite books and that movie was just an insult to it. It still bothers me to this day (must let it go...).

This made me smile. I watched Simon Birch first so actually enjoyed it but it certainly doesn't compare with Owen Meany. At least it doesn't have the same title, maybe it just accidentally resembles the book ;) What a wonderful and strange story,it's definitely a favourite. Have you read "The World According to Garp"?

Unfortunately it was very loosely based on that book. It's part of the reason that when John Irving allowed 'Cider House Rules' to be made to a movie that he was more involved with the script so that it would keep truer to the book.

I have read all of his books as he is one of my favourite authors. DH doesn't understand but I think that's in part because by the time he finally agreed to read a book he didn't trust me to suggest one to him but just choose one and selected 'In One Person' and he didn't like that one. Not one that I would suggest as an entry to Irving either.
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby mc on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Just finished AMY Tan's "the valley of amazement". It was good. If you liked her other books or memoirs of a geisha you will probably like this one. Set in 1920's china in a courtesan house.
mc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:00 pm

I just read Omens by Kelly Armstrong - Goodreads gave it 4 out of 5 stars, which I don't really agree with (I see it is book #1 in the Cainsville series, so I guess that's why I feel like I didn't really get an answer to the storyline at the end of the book) not bad, but not an 'amazing' read.
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby T on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 pm

I just finished Jonas Jonasson's second book 'The Girl Who Save the King of Sweden'. I seriously love this author and his writing style. He makes me laugh when I read his books (the first was 'The 100 year old man who stepped out the window and disappeared). Can't wait for his next book!
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:23 am

Oh good, another author to add to my list! :D
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Flanders Fields on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:31 pm

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children has just been chosen for our book club - there are so many on hold at the library and there are 7 of us. Does anyone want to sell theirs to me? we might need a couple!
Let me know - cheers :-D
Flanders Fields
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:01 pm

I loved that book! There is a second one out too - and I hear a third one is in the works!
Sorry, I don't own a copy to sell you.
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Flanders Fields on Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:33 pm

That is great to hear Charlene :) I look forward to that too!
Flanders Fields
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Maybe Russell's used books have a few copies for sale? :-k
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

PreviousNext

Return to Books, books, books