KIV Community

Is Asia surpassing us in education?

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Is Asia surpassing us in education?

Postby alexkameno on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Okay this is the part that scares me.

I know as North Americans we've been somewhat the leader of the 'humanity' pack. At least as far as technology and living standards are concerned. However, looks like it's all shifting towards Far east Asia.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmorris ... er-behind/

Do you think we are really falling behind? I've heard tons of stories especially of the new immigrant kids who find our science and Math (Especially math) curriculum immensely easy to what they were use to.

Although now there are a few online services that teach Math and science online like
Math.com, StudyPug or Thinkific they are not really helping just North Americans right?

Bottom line, are our kids falling behind when it comes to Math and Science? I like to believe that the rest of the world is catching up but we all know that ain't the truth.
Last edited by alexkameno on Thu May 11, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alexkameno
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Is Asia surpassing us in education?

Postby Kelly.campbell on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:26 am

I agree that technology is increasingly important, but it’s not so clear-cut as to what makes a ‘top tech nation.' Is it just the skills, or does it also need the imagination to be able to apply them? After all, many truly revolutionary advances are the result of using technology in unexpected ways.
Kelly.campbell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Is Asia surpassing us in education?

Postby alexkameno on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for your reply Kelly. I just feel like we don't 'innovate' as much as we did just 5 or 10 years ago. There hasn't been a true world changing invention in years. Usually, it's the North American environment that produces them.
alexkameno
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Rants & Raves