KIV Community

Calling all Cesarean by Choice Mothers

The place to ask all the questions, share your experiences, offer advice and chat with other parents about this awesome and bewildering experience.

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Calling all Cesarean by Choice Mothers

Postby VicStepmom on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I know Victoria is very pro-natural birth - and that is great, but it can leave those of us who prefer and would choose cesarean feeling, well, very alone and misunderstood. I know I have felt that way - and so, a while back I created a facebook group - the "Cesarean by Choice Awareness Network" - a place where moms who would choose cesarean can connect and converse in a respectful and safe environment.

As a disclaimer: Please discuss your treatment choices and plans with your health care provider as they are in the best position to advise you as to the medical implications of your choices. (note: disclaimer should also apply if you were planning an all-natural unmedicated childbirth)....

Also as a side note - if you plan on joining the group just to harass those who are there - that is really an awful thing to do.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Calling all Cesarean by Choice Mothers

Postby uplate on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Not here to harass lol, (one of children was a life threatening emergency situation and I was lucky to have a cesarean)

...... but I was under the impression that doctors do NOT do cesareans by choice UNLESS there is a compelling medical reason to offer the choice (aka first birth was a cesarean, diabeties, fibroids, etc).

am I wrong? I am not sure you can request a cesarean unless you need one.
uplate
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ttbrown80 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:17 am

I am a proud cesarean by choice - both before and after the birth of my dd
who was an emergency cesarean and without it she would not have made it

People need to realize just like everything else - it is the choice of the individual and should keep there personal opinions to themselves - if you don't like it that is on a individual - freedom of speech I am all for but not to slander anothers opinion.

The world has a lot bigger problems locally and worldwide than if a ceasrean is a right or wrong choice. Good for you for creating a group where those that are shunned by the "all natural" groups can discuss their fears and get support.
ttbrown80
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby rosamond on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 am

rosamond
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby uplate on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:49 am

uplate
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 am

Women choose cesarean for a wide variety of reasons - and you most certainly can request a cesarean even absent a medical condition and expect to have a conversation with your care provider about the relative risks and benefits. Care providers are not obligated to perform a cesarean - but there are care providers who will and you can ask to be referred to someone who can accommodate the request.

There are only two ways for a baby to be born - planned vaginal delivery and planned cesarean delivery - each has risks and benefits and the individual woman most certainly should be able to choose which plan best meets her needs and those of her child under her particular circumstance. Women who choose cesarean are doing so after being informed of the risks and benefits of both cesarean and planned vaginal delivery - and it is fair to assume that they see planned cesarean as better meeting their needs, just as those who choose planned vaginal delivery see it as better meeting their needs.

We don't "judge" a person's choice of how to treat any other medical condition - why are we so compelled to judge how a pregnant woman chooses to deliver her child? It is her body and her baby - and ultimately it is a question of patient autonomy and respect for the woman and her needs.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby uplate on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:37 am

uplate
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MizJennaKH on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Will take a look at the group.
MizJennaKH
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ashmel on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:47 pm

<3
ashmel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby VicStepmom on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 am

AshMel -
You are correct - it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and I have a tendency to be proactively defensive on this subject.

Uplate - I'm sorry you took my comment personally.

I support the full spectrum of informed choice - I think it's great that a woman, after being advised of the risks and benefits of home birth - can choose it if there are no clear contraindications to it. I believe this is even an option for some women with previous cesareans in BC. I am happy the midwifery model is available for those who want it. I am happy that VBAC is generally available to those who want it in Victoria. It just is not a choice that I would personally make for my own births.

It is time to acknowledge that not all women are wanting that model of care and those who want to access a more medically intensive model (for whatever reason) are just as entitled to that choice. Being forced into an under-medicated birth when it is not desired is just as reprehensible as being forced into a cesarean against one's wishes. Access to epidurals or cesareans should not be questionable - particularly if women have clearly indicated that this is their preference after being informed of the risks and benefits of that preference.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:15 pm

I respect anyone's right to make the decision along with their medical practitioner or midwife regarding an elective cesarean.
I will add however, that generally it is, if there are no complications or contraindications, beneficial for a baby to have had a vaginal birth. I am saying this because it is not just a womon's choice; there is also the health of the baby to be considered.
I know I'll be blasted, however the previous post expressed explicitly about a woman's choice. I respect the choice, however, I also see the importance of the baby's right to a vaginal birth which prepares their lungs for more effective respiration than does a caesarean (unless there are other indications or necessities for a caesarean).
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby DELETEPLEASE on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm

DELETEPLEASE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 pm

They do not deliver/section babies at RJH. Also VGH serves the island and the little islands as the major centre for any complicated pregnancy/birth so it would be logical to assume that it would have a higher ratio than hospitals (that have maternity) that are not the only one in a large geographical area.
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:47 pm

also statistically 2% is probably within the acceptable error :wink:
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next