KIV Community

Calling all Cesarean by Choice Mothers

The place to ask all the questions, share your experiences, offer advice and chat with other parents about this awesome and bewildering experience.

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: Calling all Cesarean by Choice Mothers

Postby DELETEPLEASE on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 am

DELETEPLEASE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 am

VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Glowingtouch on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 am

Melissa
Hire a birth doula for help with pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period. Email me for more info!
http://www.glowingtouch.ca
Glowingtouch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Curious as to the cost of a typical vaginal delivery/hospital stay versus a typical Caesarean delivery/hospital stay. In my mind, that could be the only issue many people have with a woman choosing a (not medically necessary) C-section
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm aware that we've (me included) taken you (OP) off the original purpose of your thread.
I hope that you and other caesarean by choice mothers can connect the discuss your experiences together.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby VicStepmom on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:36 pm

As usual this has denigrated into a debate about cesarean vs. natural. Personally, I found the recovery from the elective cesarean a TONNE easier than my recovery from the unplanned vaginal delivery. Secondly, pregnancy does place a strain on the pelvic floor - but vaginal delivery in and of itself places a further strain and those who deliver by cesarean alone are at a lower risk for those problems then women who deliver vaginally. The difference might even out by the time a woman is post menopausal - but I'd like to think continence in one's 20's, 30's and 40's matters too.

I hate that vaginal delivery is seen as some kind of risk-free walk in the park and cesarean is seen as being this risk laden choice - when in reality vaginal delivery has more risks than what are commonly accepted and planned cesarean is likely less risky than what is typically portrayed (note much of the risk associated with cesareans is much higher in the case of *emergent* cesarean procedures - and *emergent* cesarean procedures are a risk of planned vaginal delivery).

At any rate - there's a home for cesarean by choice moms - they deserve a community as much as home birth mom's have - and those that don't agree with the choice or wouldn't make the choice have no need to join or chime in.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

On the cost issue - research out of NICE in the UK has indicated that the difference between the two methods after including just one downstream consequence (urinary incontinance) was minimal (less than 100 pounds). It may even be possible that planned cesarean delivery could be cost competitive or even cheaper than planned vaginal delivery if a more holistic approach was used for accounting the immediate and downstream costs of birth choice.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby haelmoon on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 am

The debate about vaginal delivery and c-section is really not something that needs to be debated. The cost of a vaginal delivery versus a c-section is not really that much difference, particularly when long term outcomes are considered. This is really a medical decision between a mother and her health care provider, and no one is obligated to justify their decisions are the end of the day. The lay information floating around the internet is often only superficially examines the issues, or is bias and often out right wrong. People can post anything they want and have it perpetuated as "fact" when is is really a "myth".

The best evidence available says that an uncomplicated vaginal delivery is best for mom and baby, followed very closely by an uncomplicated c-section, before the onset of labour. The funny thing is, that an elective c-section is much more predictable than a vaginal delivery. There is less overall chance for something to go wrong. On a population bases, because of the inherent risk of danger to the baby during a vaginal delivery, the overlal safest number, with the lowest risks of stillbirth and injury to babies is a c-section at 39 weeks. I am not advocating vaginal delivery or c-section, but just commenting the general population's understanding of the risks of vaginal delivery are often misleading.

In terms of risk to the baby and mother, a complicated vaginal delivery is next, followed by an unplanned c-section. Finally, the greatest risk to mom and baby is the c-section done after failed pushing, with or without trying a vacuum/or forceps first.

The problem is, the prediction tools to predict complications in labour aren't very good. There are too many variabilies. Because of that, the discussion needs to be about making all deliveries safer, and not demonizing physicians who make the call for a c-section. Although many c-sections done in labour are done at a point when it is not a true emergency, the physicians are often trying to avoid the actually emergency once warning signs have been notices.

Nothing in life is simple. Vaginal deliveries are not without risk. C-sections are not without benefits. Unless you are making a decision about yourself and your baby, there are some many factors being taking into consideration that you can never really make a decisions or a judgement on someone else. I think VicStepMom is doing a great thing by bringing this conversation forward, because there is so much information on the rates of c-sections, but it really should be on each individual and their reasons. Rates apply only to populations, but it is the individual who should be cared for.
haelmoon
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tikitorch on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I dont know where your get your info from but in victoria they will not do an elective c section unless you have a medical reason for it (whatever the reason may be). So unless your willing to travel to the states and pay for it, you will not be having a c section without medical need!
tikitorch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 pm

Tiki torch - you're wrong - there's a few OBGyns on the Island and some in Vancouver who will do cesarean by choice. No need to go to US and pay.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tikitorch on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Last edited by tikitorch on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tikitorch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:24 pm

I am SURE that all 'elective caesareans' are, in fact, on the books as 'medically necessary' for a myriad of reasons. Nurses, etc. would never know it was ACTUALLY an elective procedure, but rather necessary for whatever the OB/GYN reason on the intake form.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 am

Tikitorch -

It is rather interesting that nurses are substituting their opinion for doctors and patients at Victoria General then and completely subverting what is a medical decision between a woman and her doctor. It explains perfectly what happened during my first pregnancy and frankly is very abhorrent and as a result I would encourage all cesarean by choice mothers to hide the real nature of their cesareans from the nursing staff at Victoria General. Why be so hell bent on depriving women of the autonomy and inflicting that kind of mental distress?

My second pregnancy/birth I had an elective cesarean at St. Paul's - there was no bill in the mail, nor do I ever expect there to be a bill in the mail.

How a woman gives birth must be up to that woman and her doctors.

I am aware of physicians in BC - and even on the island who will undertake maternal request cesareans.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tikitorch on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:36 pm

yes an "elective c section" after a previous c section is allowed as it is, high risk to vbac... Im talking about a woman with no medical issues, her first baby, to have an "elective c -section" for free.

and if you "know of" physicians who would do this... please share.. its not a big secret to share as its "allowed"? right?
tikitorch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy and Birth