KIV Community

would I really use it ?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

would I really use it ?

Postby quest on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:32 pm

8)
Last edited by quest on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: would I really use it ?

Postby KimberlyNewton on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:51 pm

I love my kitchenaid standmixer and I use it ALL the time. However, now that I have it, I very seldom use my immersion blender.

I use my breadmaker regularly, ice cream maker less so.

I really want a food processor next...
KimberlyNewton
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Estelle on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

My steamer. I got it for free a few years ago and used it lots at first but now it sits in the back of a cupboard barely used. I use the metal steamer in the pot all the time, though. I think the only time I've used it in 2 years was for xmas dinner.

I also don't use my sandwich maker or waffle maker often unless I'm trying to make cooking fun for the kids.

I have a Hamilton Beach grill I haven't used in about 3 years but I refuse to part with it because I swear I'll use it someday. LOL If I ate meat it would be great, but I don't and don't know what else to cook on it. Veggie burgers maybe? I dunno..

One thing I LOVE and use way more than I thought is my rice cooker. I just got it for xmas and I use it at least 2 times a week. It's great for rice and beans and the bowl can go right into the fridge. I cook rice a lot more often now.

I also love my food processor that I got for xmas and my blender. I make dips and smoothies all the time.

My crock pots are fabulous too. I don't use them too often but I'm always happy I have them when I want them.

I guess it depends on the type of cook you are. My mom and bro both have slider makers. I think they're a dumb fad and soon we'll be seeing loads of them in thrift shops.
You can't use logic to talk someone out of a belief they didn't use logic to get themselves into.
Estelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Colesmum on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Good post! Use my breadmaker tons, my crockpot and my magic bullet. I'd love to get a stand mixer, and have been thinking about the rice cooker more and more lately.....My kitchen is quite small though, so storage is at a premium, which can be very frustrating, but also puts an artificial limit on how many new gadgets I can get LOL. They need to be used often, or they're outta here :)
Colesmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby wonderwoman on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:26 pm

It's probably easier to say what I do use....kitchen aid mixer, bread maker, stainless steel coffee press, rice cooker. I don't use my food processor to often but when I need it I'm sure glad it's there. Wish I hadn't bothered with my mandolin.
wonderwoman
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Deb M on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:55 pm

I use:

coffee bean grinder
coffee press
panini maker

food processor but only for hummus
Deb M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 pm

At least a few times a month I use:
Slow Cooker
Rice Cooker
Panini Press
Hot Air Popcorn Popper
Tupperware Quick Chef (got rid of the food processor and use this instead)
Coffee Press
Tupperware Modular Mates
Tupperware FridgeSmart containers (for veggies in fridge)
Silicone spatulas (TW brand of course)
Really good knives
Tupperware Quick Shake (nearly every day for diff things)
Toaster

Sometimes we also use the blender.
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby barb on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:16 pm

My Tupperware :) Use it all the time. Got rid of every other piece of plastic and only use my tupperware. I even buy sale items and give them as gifts!

I don't use my food processor except when making rum balls. I have barely used my crock pot, but just because the kids don't eat anything from it. Once they get older perhaps they will (they are 10 and 6), although I don't like my food touching either...wonder where they get it from :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used my bread maker alot when I first got it....haven't used it since we moved (it's been 8 years). Margarita machine....LOVE IT! Steamer - love it. there are more I am sure.
barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby carealot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:40 pm

hot air popcorn maker... I've busted two we use it all the time, it goes on the next grocery list if I do break it...
carealot
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Toaster over (used every day for toast); coffee press; Burr coffee grinder (daily); blender (every 2 to 3 days to make smoothies for DD). Rice steamer occasionally.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Like a pp, we use our rice cooker at least twice a week. I didn't think I'd love it as much as I did. We also have a juicer which we don't use anymore because its broken but I used it about once a month. It a good way to get rid of bruised or over ripe fruit without throwing them away.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Brenda N on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Oh Yeah - The Margarita Machine!!

Thanks for the reminder Barb.
Truthfully only used a few times a year and I don't keep it in my kitchen, but still well worth the price I paid for it and the space it takes up in the laundry room.

On that note - I have a small kitchen so several appliances live in the laundry room on an easily accessed shelf. The slow cookers, panini press, margarita machine and a few things I rarely use (punch bowl) live there. Everything else is in my kitchen.
Making the world a better place, one container at a time :-)

Click to “imagine...life on YOUR terms!”
Brenda N
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby midnightly on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:16 pm

do use- kitchen aid!, bread maker, toaster oven (multi times a day!) magic bullet, XL fry pan!! adjustable measuring spoons (love these!), silicone bakeware (i love that the muffin "tin" fits in my toaster oven! i can make yorkshire puddings in my toaster oven!)

don't use or rarely use- food processor, ice cream maker (thought i would, but it's been sitting on the shelf for years now tempted to get rid of it) meat slicer (did get rid of it but now thinking i'd use it again lol) sandwich maker (would rather just wash a fry pan) waffle maker
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Upster98 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Just recently got a rice cooker that came with a steamer basket and I love it. We've eaten more rice in the last month than in the last year!!

Also recently tried Tupperware fridge mates. Omg those things are great. Keep my fruits and veggies fresh for soooo long!!!!!

Don't use my sandwich or panini maker.
Upster98
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jack's mum on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:54 pm

I am the Gadget Queen (according to my DH :lol: ) so there's very few gadgets or appliances that I haven't had or tried at some point.

The ones I use the most are:
~my crockpot
~my Kitchen Aid blender (I LOVE how powerful it is...beats any other blenders I've had hands down!)
~my Cuisinart hand/immersion blender
~my coffee maker
~my microwave popcorn popper (actually a large Tupperware microwave cooker that I had no idea what to do with until Brenda suggested popping corn in it...brilliant! ;-) )
~my santoku knife and my TW utility knives
~my electric kettle (I don't know how I put up with my stupid stovetop one for so long!)
~my Le Creuset pots (I only have 2 and I saved up and bought them on eBay, but they're definitely worth the $$)
~ALL my Tupperware (or at least, that's what I tell DH when he tries to make me get rid of some of it! :D Now if there was just a TW fairy to keep it all organized for me I'd probably use more of it than I actually am right now. :oops: )

Things I have, but rarely use include:
~my breadmaker (I've used it once and it made bread like a rock. I'm going to try it one more time and if it's still crappy it's out!)
~my Cuisinart food processor (I'm reluctant to part with it since it cost a lot, but I've only actually used it once--I'll have to research it a bit more and see if I can find some practical uses for it before I give it up for good)
~my toaster/convection oven (I should use it more...maybe in the summer?)

Things I'd like to get include:
~a rice cooker (next purchase probably)
~a small freezer (so I can stock up on sale items to help counteract the rising food prices coming :? )
~an ice cream maker (though I'm not sure we'd actually use it enough to justify its purchase so that's still a big maybe!)
~an electric fondue pot (I got rid of my old fuel-burning one 'cause it was such a pain, but I'd definitely use an electric one......maybe?! :lol: )
~a Kitchen Aid mixer....but only if it was a steal because I probably wouldn't use it enough to justify paying several hundred dollars for one. And it would have to be red! :)

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
jack's mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Café Island Parent