KIV Community

Traumatizing incident at Dan's Farm today.

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: Traumatizing incident at Dan's Farm today.

Postby Selling Stuff on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I am terrified of rats and mice due to some past experiences, however, that would have been horrible to witness.
As you mentioned, I understand that they have to get rid of the rats, and the farmer probably didn't want to miss that chance, but maybe he could have asked your hubby to take your son away. Then again, maybe he didn't notice how enthralled your son was with the rat.

Still......not a pleasant experience.
"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
-Stephen (Ettiene) De Grellet
Selling Stuff
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Myshkin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:58 pm

I think your reaction is appropriate. Rat pitch-forking should definately be done out of sight of the children (especially when in the petting farm where they're admiring fuzzy creatures) :shock:
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Sir Winston Churchill
Myshkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby NPern82 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:00 pm

oh my heck! I hope your son is really ok! I know I'd be bothered seeing it myself and I'm an adult. I don't even like to kill ants....
NPern82
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby OnceHarmony on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Oh my! I would hate to have my DD (or me) see that.

I would definately let them know. Maybe next time they could give a heads up and give people time to move far away.

I hope your son is okay.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mumeee99 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Ya, that was completely inappropriate. I'm not into rats either, but I don't think that any kid should have to witness that! :eek:
"Don't prepare the path for the child, prepare the child for the path"
mumeee99
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby funmom on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh my gosh!!! That is HORRIBLE!!!! My little vegetarian-animal-loving 7 year old would have cried for a week! That's really inapropriate, that should never have happened. I think you should make a phone call, and just tell them about what happened, in the hopes that that doesn't happen again. Sorry your son had to see that, that's really sad. :cry:
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr.Seuss
funmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby zolly786 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 pm

yeah, i wouldn't have been cool with that. i'm not a rat lover, but to do that in a petting area around kids? no.
zolly786
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby rescuefundraiser on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Where is Dan's Farm?
rescuefundraiser
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby baby#2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 am

I would have been in tears for myself and for my daughter. That is an awful thing to see. I would definitely complain, they can't be doing that.
baby#2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby knittingmama on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 pm

having grown up on a farm, this is a way of life. You see a rat, you kill it immediately because they breed worse than rabbits and once they get in the feed and crops, they cause a lot of damage. I'm sorry your son had to witness that - perhaps the farmer could have asked your husband to remove him, but when you see one of those creepy rats around, you get rid of it asap. I've seen animals killed on a farm and it's not pretty, but it's not something that will traumatize you for life - you get used to it and realize that it's the way of living on a farm and sometimes you gotta do things like that. This might be a good way to explain to your son where his food comes from. JMHO
knittingmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby s5 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I agree with knittingmama. Having grown up on a farm, my parents always ensured any killing was done away from young kids. But something like a rat would have been killed immediately, with apologies later. Perhaps they would have hollered at us to look away, but there isn't always time.

I've been to Dan's Farm and it does strike me as a working farm and rat control would be a part of that.
s5
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:41 pm

I can see why they did it - but I would have hated it. My kids probably would not have been as traumatized as me - they take things better than I would ever have thought - even though they love animals they are more interested than anything else in seeing dead birds and we have feral cats so they are always coming across dead mice.

Ughh to this day I remember the first time as a kid going to the slaughter house on my grandfather's farm - I could never be a farm girl!!!
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby JaynaF on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:31 pm

wow that is shocking. he should have at least approached you and told you to take your son away while he put a fork through it! yikes!
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby chanterelle on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Hmmm, I'm torn on this one. While I appreciate that it really wasn't a nice thing for your son to see, if the farmer had given a shout / waited, the rat would have gotten away - they are fast suckers, and as others have pointed out, can quickly do a lot of damage on anyone's property.

I would definitely still visit Dan's Farm (we love it there), but I think if I saw a rat, I'd be looking the other direction so as to avoid any unpleasant sights.

chanterelle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby JaynaF on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:54 pm

yeah, as i wrote my post, i was actually thinking the same, that the rat could have easily escaped if he'd made a warning or anything.. but still yes, horrible to watch!!!!
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café Island Parent