KIV Community

Royal Baby on the way (and named)

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: Royal Baby on the way (and named)

Postby brymommy on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Yes if it had been a girl the Queen would have had veto power. It doesn't mean she named the child. It was still Will and Kate's decision, but she would have been able to veto a "Jim-Bob" or "Axel" or "Elton" or whatever you want. Plus they were picking a name for a future king. King George sounds much stronger than King Brayden or King Lincoln or King Elliot. Sure it's a big name for a little baby, but it won't be such a big name on a future King...

But what is old is new again too. My second child has a very old fashioned name and people thought it was "strange" but it was popular in the late 1800's and I didn't know it at the time but we have a relative my parents age with the same name.

Many "old man names" are what is in and new right now.

Plus there are/were moms in the UK who were either pregnant or had just given birth who were waiting to name their children based on what Will and Kate chose. I think there will be many George's running around the playgrounds now, and names with similar effect.
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:11 am

So they picked one of the Queen's beloved father's names, George. And it looks like the other names are with nods to family and close friends. Lots of people pick family names. I think it is a lovely rememberance of beloved people.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:19 am

Personally I wish there were people who could veto regular people when it comes to naming their babies. Maybe then we wouldn't end up with Apple or North or some of those other whack job, made up names that people are saddeling their kids with. I personally don't like the name George as it reminds me of a 70 year old man, but its better than some of the other names out there. I mean do we really want a King Bubba or Prince Cletus?
Last edited by Benjorsam on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby onceinvic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 am

George Clooney has not had too many troubles with popularity despite his "stodgy" name... :)

As a PP mentioned, made-up names or common names with "special" spellings can be ridiculous. Some sociology studies suggest that people choose these kinds of names in the belief that it will make their children special.

Little George will be pretty special, no matter what they named him. I think he will do just fine as George.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 am

As much as I also think George is old fashioned (but had some pressure to consider it as it was my FIL's name and my grandfather's name), turns out that's just a Canadian opinion.

I heard somewhere that George was the 12th most popular name in England and Wales in 2011.

It's really just what you're accustomed to. A lot of old fashioned names make comebacks. Likely now for George.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StaceyH on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 am

The Queen's father (King George VI) was actually born as Prince Albert. He was never meant to be King. His brother, Prince Edward, abdicated the throne and Albert reluctantly became King. He took on the moniker "King George".
In fact Queen Elizabeth was never meant to be Queen. She was born before her father accepted the throne.

I agree that George is a blah name. But, if I was raised as the future King Of England, and was birthing the Future King Of England, I might have a different feeling.

Hopefully if there is a second child (they will be so far down the line to the throne) they will choose something a bit more "modern".

I think Spencer is a great, strong name, but can see why they kept Diana's lineage out of his name. Some loyalist still think that she was a black mark in the Royal's history.

I don't think there was much choice as to what George was to be named, but William had 31 years to deal that!
StaceyH
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 am

King George's full birth name was Albert Frederick Arthur George. He used the nickname Bertie with family but used George when he became King.

The new baby has a very adult, Kingly (is that a word? :lol:) name. He will be an adult and King longer than he will be a little baby.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Aladora on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StitchedUp on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:52 pm

And since this thread is so darn educational, I'll just point out that there hasn't been a King of England since King William III died at the beginning of the eighteenth century. Queen Elizabeth is the Queen of the United Kingdom.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Aladora on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby StitchedUp on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:23 pm

The United Kingdom is a perfectly correct short form of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm

Maybe, just maybe she (and he) liked the names and that is why they picked them. Or they are one of those many couples who feltl they wanted to name their kids after family.

I read somewhere that she liked the name Alexander and they may call him Alex privately. Don't know how true this is of course as it is the British press. :? :lol:
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

PreviousNext

Return to Café Island Parent