KIV Community

Boy cuts - barber or salon?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Boy cuts - barber or salon?

Postby Hollyberry on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I take my son to the salon where i get my hair done. Dh thinks our son should go to a barber.

So, where do you get your son's hair cut? And if you have a great place worth recommending, please share it.

Thanks!
Hollyberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Boy cuts - barber or salon?

Postby Vaccin8tor on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Is his head just shaved or is it a cut?

How much does your current person charge?

We used to take our kids to my hairdresser but now they go to Victory in the Atrium. $25 for shampoo/cut and shave hair/style with product in about 20-25 minutes.

But definitely interested to see which barbers are recommended and how much they charge.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Hollyberry on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:59 pm

It's a cut, in fact his hair is getting longish and curly which is what lead to this "discussion" with my dh about salon vs barber.

I used to pay $30 (cut with shampoo and styling) but now that he is 11 years old the salon says he is no longer eligible for the "child cut" price and that he will be charged the adult price next time ($45!!!). I obviously need somewhere new.

In defending my position to continue to take ds to a salon, I told dh that most kids are going to salons not barbers these days, so I'm curious if this is actually the case or if I should reconsider...
Hollyberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Its really too bad Lizzy Lee & Me on Shelbourne is SO girly-focused (altho I get why they are) cause I'd suggest taking him there but at 11, I doubt he'd step foot in the place :(

Not sure what age most places cut off for kid versus adult prices, but 11 seems pretty odd as the cut-off. I think 16 or 18 makes more sense, especially for a male haircut!

Highly recommend Elia at Victory Barber & Brand downtown (hey, it is technically called a barber shop so maybe your hubbie would be placated?!). It is very 'male oriented' as they offer the old-fashioned blade shaving.

http://www.victorybarbers.com/
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Hollyberry on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Great recommendation, thanks KIVeir! A good compromise for us; I think I will give it a go. Thank you.
Hollyberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Vaccin8tor on Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:48 pm

You should have your hubbie take him (unless you all go as a group), my husband now gets his hair done there too! I must admit, the place it pretty darned cool.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bye kiv it's been fun ;) on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

We go to Westshore Barber Shop on Goldstream in Langford - they charge $17 and are absolutely AMAZING at what they do. For that price you get a detailed/styled haircut (precision perfect) and a duo comedy routine (Sean and Mike are funny). Kids get to pick a lollipop when they're done.

The one time in the last 4 yrs that we didn't go there, because my son's Dad decided to take him to a hair salon in the mall, he ended up with a horrible unflattering cut that was left so long it didn't even look like he had had it cut :? Apparently Westshore Barber Shop ends up FIXING a lot of kids styled cuts after they've gone to a salon.

They'll be getting our business for years to come so I hope they don't go anywhere! My son looks forward to getting his haircut because he as developed a relationship with Sean & Mike so it's like going to see friends :)
bye kiv it's been fun ;)
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Glowingtouch on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm

My kids go to the barber in Sidney. My family goes there and my boys too. They always do a good job and it's inexpensive :)
Melissa
Hire a birth doula for help with pregnancy, birth, and the postpartum period. Email me for more info!
http://www.glowingtouch.ca
Glowingtouch
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nola on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 pm

We go to Tanice
http://www.dynamitehairdesigns.com/

She has a cute little shop out of her home, her prices are very reasonable and her hours are great!! PLus she is super good with kids :D
Nola
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Hollyberry on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted! Appreciated the recommendations.
Hollyberry
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I take my boys to Island Haircutters. They are $13.95 (or $14.95 can't remember. I should remember as we were just there today) for a kids cut for ages 12 and under. I would never pay a lot for a boy's haircut as there isn't much to do other than use the clippers for the most part.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Alli on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:17 am

I work in a salon as a stylist... Usually the 1's where the cuts are $30 and under. Barber shops are great for men's (and boys) cuts (although 8 can't recommend 1 off the top of my head). However saying that most places like island haircutting, mastercuts in mayfair etc have a large men and childrens cuts. 1 girl I work with last job was a barber in a barbershop.

And every place I have worked the cut off age for kids is 12.... Anyone 13 and over is considered an adult cut.

Also clipped cuts (except a straight buzz cut 1 guard all over) are tricky-ish cuts because the blending is A LOT more difficult then 1 realizes... Especially on moving targets... Especially young boys... Even mine, its very tough to sit still in that chair for 15 - 25 mins.

Randy at the Garden Head island haircutting is an amazing barber.... He's one of the best at male cuts that I know.... And the kids just seem drawn to him.... And hes been doing it for at least 15 to 20 years now
Alli
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby newmom2006 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:55 am

We were taking DS to Shelbourne Barbers and we had a lady named Roxanne cut his hair. She did a great job and was so patient with him. Luckily for us, he's not a figity kid when he's getting his hair cut (at least he's not that way when others do it - at home, different story. :lol:

It was $14 plus tax for a boy's cut, so with taxes and tipping, it would be about $20.

We haven't been in a while - maybe about 6 months ago and have been cutting hair at home. I think if I took him to my hair stylist, she would probably charge $20-25? She cuts from home and that's how much she charged for DD.
newmom2006
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mamabee on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I highly recommend Victory Barber! Maia or Halie there are both awesome at kids cuts in an efficient way but you also get more of a style than just the basics you might get elsewhere because they also work at Lab Salon. I love the atmosphere there too for a kind of boys club vibe where my son feels he's kind of cool. He's only six but Maia cuts my hair too and we love her. It's a bit pricier for a kids cut but great service!
mamabee
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MichaelBodie on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi ya'll! I've got a barbershop called Rebellion Barbershop at 1524 Pandora in Victoria (near Oak Bay Junction). We typically do shorter tapered style cuts, but we also have a very inexpensive salon next door called Isos for long hair! Both shops are kid friendly and reasonably priced. Kids cuts at the barbershop are $18. We also have a big TV with video games, and plenty to read and enjoy. Hope to see you all there. If you come to me (Michael Wednesday-Sunday) and mention you saw it here, I'll provide the first haircut free of charge! Hope to see you all soon. :)

MichaelBodie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café Island Parent