KIV Community

Do training wheels inhibit bike learning?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: Do training wheels inhibit bike learning?

Postby West Coast Ed. on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:46 pm

TazDevil and others interested - You may find some useful information here -
http://theinspiredtreehouse.com/child-d ... ride-bike/
The authors are pediatric physical and occupational therapists who have articles, 'tips and tricks' and activities for kids, etc. regarding a variety of developmental issues. Hope you find something helpful.
West Coast Ed.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:49 am

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Agreed, it's good not to push them. Ds hated, and I mean hated water in his face. We went camping one summer though where there was a pool, he was about 7 or 8, and after a few days of living in the water he was splashing me continuously and I threatened to dunk him if he didn't stop. I followed through and dunked him eventually, and next thing I knew he was splashing me again, wanting to be dunked. It was like night and day! Could partly be an age thing too - was in our case anyway.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm

So DS put his peddles on today and is riding a bike without issue, no training wheels. :D Really I cannot believe how well this technique worked for him after everything else failed.

Now off to try to find the magic technique to teach swimming.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby West Coast Ed. on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Good news! Nice to hear of his success. I'm sure he'll make similar progress with swimming, when he's ready :)
West Coast Ed.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby irishcream4me on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:07 pm

I was just coming to post this article about a great program that teaches bike riding to school aged children with gross motor skill difficulties and I noticed your son figured it out independently which is fantastic! Here is the link in case others are interested: http://www.vicnews.com/neighbourhoods/s ... obile=true
irishcream4me
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:25 am

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kidsense on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 am

Yes through OTS.. I do believe that training also inhibits bike learning. Most importantly, a child needs those learning so that they can be able to develop balance and coordination. If a child has difficulties with balance and coordination they might fall easily, trip often or can’t ‘recover’ quickly from being off balance.

There are building blocks necessary to develop balance and coordination. They include: attention and concentration, Body Awareness, Bilateral integration, Crossing Mid-line, Hand eye coordination, Hand Dominance, Muscular strength / indurance and more.
kidsense
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby nigelrod on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:31 pm

It is ideal not to let the training wheels overstay, it is necessary for the child to conquer their fears of falling off-balance.
nigelrod
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Previous

Return to Café Island Parent