KIV Community

CRD composting question

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: CRD composting question

Postby Benjorsam on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby SlobberBug on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:12 pm

In Victoria, we have had to separate kitchen scraps for nearly a couple years now, and they are picked up in separate bins that were provided by the City at the start of the program (we also received a small bin for the kitchen, although I keep mine outside the kitchen door). I didn't realize other regions in the CRD weren't having to do this. If I'm completely honest... I really dislike doing it! :lol:
SlobberBug
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:19 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:43 pm

What about Malls and restaurants? Also if the company is fined, how will they know who was the violator?

Corporate garbage is huge and I have yet to see that any where. Schools don't have it either unless they pay for it.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby SlobberBug on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 pm

SlobberBug
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby s5 on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:02 pm

yes, in Victoria, we got lots of notice. And lots of information on how to make it work - so when it came time to start doing it, I felt quite comfortable and it is second nature to all of us now (mind you, we had our own composter and had been doing that for years - but I found it more of a pain to maintain the compost than use the City's system - maybe that is why I liked it so much.
s5
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby knittingmama on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:23 pm

I went into Alpine last week, to pay for yearly garbage pick up, and picked up the kitchen scraps containers - there's one for in your kitchen, a bigger one that goes out with your garbage every week, plus I purchased 2 boxes of compostible bags for the kitchen container. For kitchen scraps pick up, it's an extra $4.95 a month?, the boxes of bags are $4. for a box of 30.

In the last week, we've definitely reduced our garbage, but it's still a learning process for all family members, and some aren't overly cooperative.

When I hear that they put all of the bags, regular and compostible kitchen scraps in the same area of the truck and that all are disposed of in the general landfill, it makes me wonder why we have to separate kitchen scraps from regular garbage. It would make sense if there was an area for compostible bags and one for general garbage - but to pile them all together, makes no sense at all. Still, I"ll do my part in the recycling . . . but once spring arrives, I'll be purchasing a compost bin or green cone for my own personal use.
knittingmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Costco has the compostable bags 125 count on for $9.95 today Jan 4th.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:35 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby knittingmama on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:21 pm

curious why you'd have two weeks of kitchen scraps . . . doesn't everyone have weekly garbage pick up? I know we do, with Alpine . . . once a week, we take out our regular garbage and our kitchen scraps.
knittingmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:41 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:20 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby knittingmama on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:21 am

interesting . . . we pay Alpine for weekly garbage pick up and kitchen scraps pick up - and at the end of the week, the kitchen scraps bin is a little aromatic - I can't imagine what it would be like after two weeks.
knittingmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Don't have my bin yet...no idea what I will do now, let alone come summer. I have a compost bin already on my counter for uncooked veggie matter and under my sink is full with recycle bins for other stuff. Simply do not have room for yet another container :-( Do not have an attached garage, it's quite a distance.

Really annoys me that bones, meat, dairy and cooked matter are included in the ban.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

PreviousNext

Return to Café Island Parent