KIV Community

Rental info please

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Rental info please

Postby quest on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:30 am

Last edited by quest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Rental info please

Postby StitchedUp on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:16 am

What kind of landlord would prefer cash over a cheque? A skeevy one, if you ask me. Your sister would be smart to talk to the RTB before she does this. Frankly, I'd be looking for a different place to live.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tadrew on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:19 am

My guess is that the landlord doesn't want to declare the rental income on his taxes. Lots of people pay their rent by cash and do it this way. As long as she has her rental agreement, a record of the withdrawal and a signed receipt stating the month in which she is paying for & confirming he received it, I would be ok with it.
tadrew
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 am

My friends pay their rent by cash. I don't see it as a big deal as long as they get receipts for it.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:40 am

I've been paid by both cash and cheque.

Cash is sometimes preferred because:

A) one doesn't need to go to the bank to cash it (and not every bank has drive throughs or that "take a picture" thing)

B) maybe he is charged fees for cashing a cheque

C) It's easier to default on a cheque than cash. And then there is the trouble of paying NSF charges, running around to get the money and the NSF charge paid for or eating the extra cost

D) maybe he's with an online bank that is harder to get a cheque into

E) He could live on the cash that is paid by the rent and so he leaves the rest of the money in his account for paying bills and savings.

F) maybe he has a very large cash savings stashed somewhere for emergencies

G) maybe his mortgage is with a different bank than the one he banks with and it's easier for him to put extra payments on the mortgage with cash instead of cashing a cheque (and hoping C doesn't happen) and then taking cash out or writing his own cheque to pay for the extra payments.

I could probably come up with more scenarios but it's probably C, at least in my world A and C would be the reasons for me :)
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby midnightly on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:03 pm

if he's willing to give a receipt i wouldn't have an issue (creating a paper trail it has been paid)

as some of the others have pointed out dealing with checks you have to worry if the check would bounce then dealing with all the extra fees that go along with it(and in some cases a battle getting the tenant to pay-not that your sister won't pay her rent but the landlord may have been burned in past experiences)

there's also the case where people don't carry checks anymore it's not as common for your average person to have a stack of checks as it was 15-20+yrs ago (honestly i can't remember the last time i wrote a check)

if they like the place i wouldn't think twice about it.. i'd just be sure to get something signed when payment is handed over
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby beany on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:09 pm

I would not be concerned as long as they have a receipt each month.
beany
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby bigaboy on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:55 pm

bigaboy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Last edited by quest on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby debbiel on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:20 pm

When I worked in property management a huge number of the tenants paid in cash each month. Those payments are the best (cash doesn't bounce). I see no problem with this arrangement (especially since the landlord will be providing a receipt).
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent