KIV Community

Ottawa woman feels "shamed" for changing her baby on table..

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Ottawa woman feels "shamed" for changing her baby on table..

Postby Benjorsam on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:54 am

This woman had the audacity to change her kid's diaper on the same table that people eat on and then she runs to the media because she felt she was shamed for doing so? She should have been. That is disgusting and unhygienic and the restaurant was well within their rights to speak up. I don't care if there was no changing table in the restaurant. As a parent we've all had to deal with this at one time or another. I've changed my kids on the floor of the bathroom. She could have gone out and changed the kid in her car or even on the grass out front.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/wo ... -1.3224081

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Ottawa woman feels "shamed" for changing her baby on tab

Postby midnightly on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:41 am

i completely agree with you.. she should feel shamed if she's changing her changing her child on the table where people eat.. that is NOT hygienic it is not safe for the child either! there are other options of places to change your child.. if no one was around you could have used a corner of the room on the floor to change the diaper, or floor in the bathroom, or go out to your car and use the seat in your car NOT where people eat!

she also makes more work for the staff since they now have to come around and give the table a good solid cleaning not just a quick wipe down

i will say MANY men deal with this issue all the time! there is rarely a change table in a mans washroom (unlike a woman's washroom) or at least my hubby discovered that a few years ago.. you find another way to change your child
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:24 am

I'm getting so weary of 'the world needs to be set up for my convenience' mentality that seems to pervade nowadays.

If I was the owner of the restaurant I would have a meeting with my staff about this. I, as the owner, would be upset with the waitress who said yes to this request and would be going over protocol.

If you choose to go to a non-kid friendly restaurant you take your chances although as a good PR gesture it might be a good idea for restaurants to put change tables into both the men's and women's washrooms.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby quest on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:47 pm

A few months ago a woman decided to change her child's diaper in the middle of Costco food court on the seat while she ate her meal at lunchtime.
She took out her cloth diaper spread her daughters legs open change her diaper
Then she continued handing her older child French fries and eating her hot dog
Never washed her hands never used a change pad for her child's bare butt oh yeah she was sharing the table with a stranger .
Guess she didn't want to take the minute and an half it would take to walk to the washroom change table .
Nothing surprises me anymore.
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:24 pm

quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Poop is definitely a bathroom thing. Now if she was breastfeeding her baby at the table that would have been fine to get upset about.

I never understood people's need for a changing table. I had a stroller with a changing mat and had no issue changing a diaper anywhere a wheelchair sized bathroom was to hold a stroller.

She was just lazy or unprepared.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby OnceHarmony on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:27 am

I agree TazDevil that she was unprepared. I'm surprised that she even thought that a dining table was an appropriate place to change her baby.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent