KIV Community

Earthquake kit question...

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Earthquake kit question...

Postby Ivy-Girl on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:24 pm

...not the usual type of question as to contents...but thought it might generate some interesting (much needed) discussion. :-D

Since the wake up quake a couple weeks ago we have made serious progress on our kit...I feel quite relieved about what we have in place and what we have done.

Here is my question...if there was a quake that required your family to survive on your own for a week or ten days, so quite serious, and your long term neighbours didn't prepare...would you share your supplies? I only specify long term neighbours in that they are coming from the same place as you with media coverage, local knowledge and experienced the recent quake so have all the same info as you do and just didn't bother to do anything as opposed to someone new to the area who may not be as dialled in about earthquakes as a long term family would be..and this isn't a reflection of my current neighbours...a theoretical neighbour who doesn't prepare. :)
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Earthquake kit question...

Postby OnceHarmony on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Good question and good trying to start a dialogue.

Your question brings to mind a scenario my husband was asked about.

My husband loves gardening and we have a nice food garden. A friend of his asked him once if he was worried about people stealing food from his garden. He said that if people stole food from his garden that they may really need the food and he was okay with them taking food and that if they asked he would give them food from the garden. They may or may not actually need the food but that doesn't matter to my husband. He chooses to have a perspective of helping others.

Yes, we would share with our neighbours.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Yes.. I would share with anyone who had hungry kids.... but only a very small ration to those who didn't. But would still try to share.

OnceHarmony your hubby has an awesome attitude.

I guess we won't really know until it comes down to it whether we share more than we thought we would as the emergency brings out the best in us..or whether we panic and hide what we do have.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 pm

There will also be those who did plan... but can't get to their stash for whatever reason
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby donbrown51 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:49 pm

For your information the CRD has emergency kits for pets for sale for $10 that have the basic needs fore your dog or cat for 72 hours.
donbrown51
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Ivy-Girl on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby donbrown51 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:41 pm

We include some basic first aid items, a pen with flashlight, "poop" bags, as well as leashes, water and food bowls, some food, and pet identification cards.
donbrown51
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:59 pm

I am doing our kit and was thinking stuff like water purification tablets although we live within walking of a fresh water lake and boiled lake water is fine for drinking.

Oatmeal and Rice. I watched Survivor and got some good ideas. I do not camp but we have a propane bbq with stove element and two things of propane but it depends on where to stay.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent