KIV Community

saanich bylaw for noise, neighbor issues

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

saanich bylaw for noise, neighbor issues

Postby cmy2boys on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:39 pm

can anyone tell me specifically the hours in a residential neighborhood for noise issue? We are having problems with neighbors and no matter how many times we try to talk to them, they don't listen.They are screaming in their pool till 1000 p.m. or playing basketball till all hours basically in front of our house. We don't want to be those kind of neighbors that keep complaining or call the police which we haven't done yet. We have young kids that are in bed are sometimes awoken by the noises. To top it off, one of the older boys on the street, purposely throws balls in the yard and almost to the window. DH tried to have a talk with him, but he was quite lippy. The parents don't seem to care at all. Anyone else deal with things like this and how do you resolve it? The parents of the kids with the pool have said to come to them with any issues, tried and doesn't make a difference. I looked at the Saanich bylaw site and can't seem to find any specific times other than mowers for residential noise.
TIA.
cmy2boys
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: saanich bylaw for noise, neighbor issues

Postby Nola on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:35 pm

There are not any specific time frames...I have called the non emergency line @ 10 PM and also around 1 AM before...I have always found that the Police take these reports seriously. Give them a call. Good luck, noisy neighbours can be very disruptive, and chances are your family is not the only one being bothered by them :nod:
Nola
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm

Definitely call it in. As others have mentioned, there is no time that neighbours are allowed to behave inappropriately until ... if it's disturbing the peace and enjoyment of surrounding neighbours (things such as loud music, swearing, yelling and other loud obnoxious things) you can call it in.

Worst case scenario, the police/bylaw officer will create a file and they'll ask you to record dates/times of incidences plus other details and it builds a case against the inconsiderate neighbours. At that point, they can be fined if they don't stop.

Postby crayola_sky on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 pm

funny you should bring this up. i totaly totally 100% feel your pain.

i have posted few weeks ago about noise issues with my new neighbours (another apartment building..different owners) and after a party started up 5 feet from my bedroom window on the lawn of their apartment building at 330 am-5 am this morning...i had enugh.
i emaild the police this morning asking their advice on what to do. and JUST a few minutes ago recieved my response..been looking for someone to talk to about this hehe. (which is why its funny this topic should be first i see on kiv)

i moved into a new...first apartment around the 7th of this month..in my first 7days of being here..my neighbours in another building partyed into the wee hours of hte morning THREE TIMES..and i dont just mean partyed..i mean they are out on the lawn of the building which is located a few feet from my bedroom..BLASTING music..laughign talking screaming cursing. theyve also done it several times since the first week of being here..morso lastnight..or should i say 3-5 am this morning. doing all the above..and got one of those voice speaker things (you know ..they have at events..kinda like a horn but you talk into it booms your voice)i thought the police had shown up and were talking into it..but nope it was the partyers.

i emaild the esquimalt/victoria police not saanich (although i ust moved from saanich ) and they told me that the noise bilaw for this area is 11 oclock but depending on circumstances they can be called before that as well.
they also said if i call..they attend..leave..and the noise starts up again to call again.
they also said that after a few times of coming back..that the people can be fined . they hope to help me and the people in my building resolve this issue. to me their email was conformation and comfort..ive been a little nervous phoneing the police about it.

so i will defently be caling it in..my guestimate is within the next 7 days.
(ive been here 3 weeks and 4 or 5 nights been kept awake till the wee hours of the morning )

my problem is however...when woke up at 3 in the morning with the REDICULASSSS noise...im not realy THINKING ya know..im not all awake..so to think to get up and get my cell and call the non emerg number is a process.

it took me an hour and a half to remember i bought ear plugs last week for such an occasion.ear plugs work but i shouldnt have to use them..and on weekdays (yes..they did this on a tuesday as well) i need to hear my morning alarm.

anyhoo...i FEEL ur pain..sorry for venting in your topic about my own issues..but if eel your pain. CALL IT IN. im inthe same boat...its a misrable one.
crayola_sky
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Three Little Birds on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 am

I have a neighbour who likes to tinker with power tools in his front yard and he told me its 11-11 for noise... he is not allowed to power up before 11am or go beyond 11pm and he follows it to a point that I had never noticed it as an issue
"Three little birds sittin by my doorstep. Singin sweet songs, of melodies pure and true, sayin this is my message to you... No worries about a thing! 'Cause, every little ting is gonna be alright"

Three Little Birds
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby BC Registered Music Teachers on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:22 pm

It can be hard - so much nicer when neighbours listen and co-operate. We have teens and live next to families with young children. We ask our teens to come in from the yard by 9pm because even though they're not all that noisy, they do like to bounce a basketball. Our neighbours work early and have little ones so we feel it is appropriate that our teens not be outside in our yard after 9pm, even in the summer.

However, we don't usually get the same courtesy. Teens like to stay up late and sleep in, so in the summer, it's hard on my 15 year old when the same small children next door tear around screaming at 7am while getting ready to leave for daycare. We haven't mentioned it because we're all neighbours that like to get along and it's not usually everyday that this happens.

We do have an issue with one house in the neighbourhood that holds a huge party every year that goes on all night. What I can't figure out is why hold a party with 100 people or more in a quiet small lot residential area? Wouldn't it be better to rent a hall somewhere rather than make all the neighbours angry? It's tough on people to lose sleep. I hope you can solve it.
BC Registered Music Teachers
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Here are the Saanich Bylaws

http://www.saanich.ca/living/bylaw.html

Here is the noise one http://www.saanich.ca/living/pdf/noise7059.pdf

GENERAL PROHIBITION
(a) No person shall make or cause to be made any noise or sound in or on a
highway or elsewhere in the Municipality which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the neighbourhood or of persons in the vicinity thereof.

PRIVATE PROPERTY

No person, being the owner of occupier or being in possession or control of real property shall suffer or permit any person to make or cause to be made any noise or sound therein or thereon which disturbs or tends to disturb the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of the neighbourhood or of persons in the vicinity thereof.

There are some excemptions though lower down but they are usually between the hours of 7am and 9pm Monday-Saturday.

Return to Café Island Parent