KIV Community

my dentist advise

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

my dentist advise

Postby quest on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 pm

My dentist advised, allow DD to eat as much candy as she wants for four days then get rid of it. He states that it does far less damage to teeth than eating one piece every day over a long period of time which really rots the teeth. :D
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: my dentist advise

Postby Shopgirl on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Yes, last year we followed the dentist advice to just let the kids pig out on their candy for a day then get rid of it.

Well, my 6 year old ate so much she got a tummy ache and right after putting her to bed, she proceeded to puke more than I have EVER seen anyone throw up (and working in child care I have seen a lot of puke!). All brown and sweet smelling too.

So, this year? The kids get a few candies a day for a week, then the rest goes away.

I generally chuck out the lollipops, save gummies for decorating gingerbread houses and smarties, M&Ms and chocolates get put in the baking cupboard to use in cookies.
Last edited by Shopgirl on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some women are dripping with diamonds. Some women are dripping with pearls. Lucky me, lucky me - look at what I'm dripping with - LITTLE GIRLS!" :)
Shopgirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby JaynaF on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:52 pm

JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby funmom on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 pm

I have a great solution in our house.
Mommy eats 70% of it. :lol:
(I only "wish" I was joking.)
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr.Seuss
funmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby LittlePrincess on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 am

LittlePrincess
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby luckymamato2 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm

That's what my boss (a dentist) is telling parents, let the kids pig out for a day or two and then get rid of the rest. She doesn't have kids though, and I would never let my kids just pig out as I know I will be up all night with them puking. :roll: I'm going to let my kids eat some here and there for 4 days and the rest go away for decorating their gingerbread houses.

luckymamato2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ada on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 pm

My kids are still young enough to not realise how much candy they had in their bucket. DH and I sorted through (to make sure everything was safe and untainted.....and also to pull out our fave candies/chocolates :oops: ) then we gave the kids their buckets with a handful of candies to eat as fast/slow as they wanted. They knew that once they eat it all there's no more left. Of course they ate it all, but they weren't crazy hyper or whiny afterwards. Also, there wasn't enough in the bucket to make them sick...maybe the equivalent of a couple regular size chocolate bars.

Another mom-friend said she allowed her kids to trade some candies in for money so that they could go out and buy a toy they've been eyeing. This mom-friend said it was the best $5 she spent on each of her children. They got a few candies then a toy to play with and mom got to eat the rest :lol:
ada
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent