KIV Community

Tell Me About Brennan Lake Campsite

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Tell Me About Brennan Lake Campsite

Postby the_mom on Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 am

How far to the lake? And sites better than others? Any wooded sites? Good with kids? Good swimming beach or lots of goose pooh? Thanks!
the_mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Tell Me About Brennan Lake Campsite

Postby threeforme on Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am

We thought it was a dump. Wouldn't stay there again. It was dirty, dusty, no privacy. It seemed very run down and old.
threeforme
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm

We drove around the campground and checked out the washrooms etc. We decided not to stay. It was quite old and generally appeared run down.
I have however heard people say that it is a great campground with lots of family activities (hay rides etc).
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby EMs mommy on Sun May 12, 2013 7:02 pm

We LOVE Brannen Lake Campground! I don't think it's dumpy? And of course it's dirty...it's outside...lol. The road is dirt so it gets quite dusty, but they try to stay on top of watering it down a few times a day. The beach is awesome! It's about a 10-15 minute walk or you can drive down there too. No goose poo! Lots of family activities, lots of fun!

EMs mommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby shortkakebc on Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 pm

We used to stay there all the time(only reason we don't now is because we don't live in Nanaimo) , never ever thought it was a dump . The do fun things for families all the time , hay rides are just one of them . On some long weekends they would have dance parties for the kids , movies and pancake breakfasts . The campground is family owned and operated and a nice family as well . I agree the beach is great . As for privacy you wont find that at many campgrounds now a days. We found the best sites the ones near the top of the hill towards the end of the campground although most are nice .
shortkakebc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby happy.bunny on Sun May 12, 2013 8:40 pm

happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 pm

We know people who love it and go every year, many times a year.
We are one of those people who drove in and out again. The people who run it seem very nice, but they did tell us - people either love it or hate it. It's definitely camping anyway :)
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Teresa D. on Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

We LOVE Brannen Lake!! We've been going there for almost 6 years and won't stop anytime soon! It isn't dumpy or dusty at all... I've been to campgrounds that are much much more dusty. But after all, it is outside right? As for the rodents near the garbage, yes that maybe true, but then again it is outside! Its bound to happen at any other campground too. I have never seen an abundance of goose poo on the beach and I was there last year on Canada Day too. That lake is actually one of the cleanest lakes I've ever swam in- waaaaaaaay cleaner than most of our lakes around here! (Elk, Beaver etc.) And we prefer the sites at the back of the campground, closer to the beach. They are pretty private I think. The family that runs it are so nice :)

What I love about it is seeing my kids have so much fun on the hayrides and at the dances, and spending all day playing at the beach, that they don't want to leave and can't wait to go back :) It is our annual camping spot and we go every August. In fact I just received an email this morning, confirming our reservations for this year :)

EMs mommy- see you there! ;)

Teresa D.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mommax4 on Mon May 13, 2013 1:01 pm

We are provincial campground campers and always have been. We stopped at Brennan Lake Campground last summer as our last stop on the way home and we stayed for 2 nights. It wasn't what we were used to by far, my family really like it but I didn't find it to be real camping..They had excellent service, and they were super friendly. I don't see how it was run down tho?
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to camping, just might not be for certain folks. Im a Gordon Bay camper:)
Mommax4

Postby JaynaF on Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 pm

we love it there too! we like the sites further up the hill toward the lake, they are more private and more wooded. nothing run down about a wooded camp site. LOL Its a very old property so ya, it might seem run down, but we love it because its really family orientated and love the lake. we have never seen goose poo there.. we have stayed in sites closer to the playground and ya its not as private. they do water the roads. all in all we like it alot :)
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby the_mom on Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Are we all talking about the same place?! Such varied reviews, haha. While I am a "Gordon Bay" type camper myself I think my boys would be thrilled with dirt roads, hay rides and songs with questionable lyrics! We have site 32D reserved, looks like it could be a bit more private, we will go check it out prior to staying. Thanks everyone! Happy camping:)
the_mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent