KIV Community

bikinis, bras and braces

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

bikinis, bras and braces

Postby OnceHarmony on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 pm

We're not there yet but at my age time is speeding up and some friends of mine have tween girls and oh my, I'm not ready!

About what age do (some) girls want to wear bikins? What age do (some) girls start wearing bras and at what age do dentists put braces on kids. DD so badly wants braces. I don't know why.

I have to stop thinking about the future too much. I'm getting more grey hairs.
Your home is meant for living, not storage - Francine Jay
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: bikinis, bras and braces

Postby midnightly on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:49 pm

the 3 B's that every mother fears and every father dreads
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 am

My dd is 15 and has no interest in wearing a bikini nor would I allow her to anyway. She's been wearing a bra since she was 11 and braces is really individual. What some dentists are doing now is putting them on kids who are 8 and 9 who wear them for a year. Then they get them taken off and put back on at 13-14 for another year. But most kids seem to get them around 12-15. My kids desperately need braces, especially my 9 y/o but even with our dental insurance paying half, it will not be possible. We just don't have the 12+ grand it would cost for all the kids to get them.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Bikinis - I have never let my girls wear bikinis and it has never been an issue. We call them look-at-my-boobs-look-at-my=butt suits.

Bras - My girls both needed bras around 11. My oldest was fine with that and wore one my middle child did not want to wear one at all so I got her some tank type tops to wear under her shirts as she needed something until she got over it. I agree it depends on the size of your breasts when they develop. I remember as a girl a friend of mine getting bras to be like her friends but not truly needing it and I would have been fine with that also if my dd wanted one.

Braces- well you can find a dentist who will start really young but I chose to wait until my child was old enough to do her own tooth care. I hate fighting with my kids. My step-son was young when he got his and I hated the battle of brush and floss all the time. It worked out great with my oldest - she was 12 and she was very responsible with taking care of her teeth. My middle child is 12 and currently does not want braces even though she could use them so we will see. My son is 9 and I personally think it is way too early to tell with him. A lady at my work in her mid 20's just had braces.
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Bikini's - all DD wears. We get ours girls Speedo at Costco. DD hates 1 pieces and always has.

Bras - she is 11 and begging for one although she doesn't need it. Walmart has great girls sports bras which are basically 100% cotton and straight top and bottom. I love the women version myself.

Braces - I would NEVER put braces on kids until all their teeth are in including Adult molars they get in their late teens and their jaw is fully grown. I had to have braces as an adult because of an over zealous orthodontist as a kid who messed my bite in order to make my teeth straight. Braces are painful, they suck and they cost $7500-$8000. It is nothing worse than trying to fix straightness too early to have the jaw and teeth move wrong again as they grow. Also if the top 4 are straight and the bite is proper, I would never do them for aesthetics.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:31 am

Our child has never worn a bikini and doesn't want to do so. She loves "tankinis" (not sure if I'm spelling this correctly) but they consist of a tank top (which extends well beyond the umbilicus) and separate bottoms (which can either be bikini style, covered by the tank top; or a shorts style). So practical as the 2 pieces mean that it's easy to use the washroom and there is no uncomfortable pull when swimming.
Re braces and age: The technology and understanding of orthodontics has changed immensely over the past 10 to 15 years, so that what may have been considered standard or optimal practice in the past is not necessarily relevant to treatment today. Best to check with an orthodontist and obtaining a second opinion is always and option. Some treatments can be administered "early" (by previous day's standards) and may correct a problem early, thus preventing a more challenging orthodontic issue and increased cost at a later age.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 pm

A bikini involves separate top and bottom (as does the tankini), however, with the bikini, there is a considerable amount of exposed sking (just below breasts to low abdomen) whereas, the tankini completely covers the area from chest to abdomen (although if on the small side, some abdominal area may be exposed).
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby midnightly on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:03 pm

midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Not sure what the big deal is with the bikini". What nutcase thinks of a 11 year old girl flat as a board as anything other than a child anyway? I was outraged at a teacher for humiliating DD telling her PE shorts were "too short" when she was 8. My response was "where the hell is your mind?" treating my child like a sex object at 8. They were standard Walmart kids shorts in her size.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm

midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks. I feel a little bit more ready. :)

I guess bikinis, bras and braces are the least of my worries, It will be mood swings. Ugh. Hers and mine :)
Your home is meant for living, not storage - Francine Jay
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:30 pm

My dd has had mood swings since she was born.... so I'll be very used to it by the time the teens hit :lol: (Or maybe she'll have mellowed by then!)
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby pollywog on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 am

Bras: My oldest (now 15) was in grade 3 when she started to develop. She wore tank-tops under her shirts until bras were necessary. She was 8. My youngest was 10, and we transitioned from regular tank-tops to training bras and fitted bras (11). She is now 13.

Bikinis: They both have 1pc - for lessons and distance swimming, and bikinis for sunbathing and beach play. The bikinis they own are 'pre-approved by the parents' I never thought about "not permitting" them. The girls are both fairly modest, and are aware of the fine-line between tasteful and tacky.

Braces: My youngest will have them from the age of 12 1/2 until she is almost 14. Like bras - it is about size, and personal development.
(she wanted them badly too, until she got them... now she cannot wait until they are gone!)
pollywog
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Parenting