KIV Community

deep sleep disorder

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

deep sleep disorder

Postby Bathtimebliss on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:24 am

Does anyone know of any child sleep therapists or information on how to change sleep cycles? Our 6 year old DS seems to have a deep sleep disorder (he stays in deep sleep too much and can't be woken) resulting in bed wetting multiple times every night, night terrors, feeling tired despite getting 10-11 hrs every night and has a lot of trouble focusing at school. He has always looked tired with dark circles under his eyes that even other family members notice. We have looked at diet in the past and knew he was always getting the right amount of sleep but it is only until recently that we suspect this disorder might be the cause.

We do have an appointment with out doctor this week but I wanted to ask the KIV community as I am somewhat expecting the doctor to shrug it off and say he will outgrow the bed wetting. The bed wetting is actually less of a concern as I just want to make sure he is well rested.

thanks
Bathtimebliss
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: deep sleep disorder

Postby TazDevil on Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:37 pm

My son had issues with all of that and it was over the counter chewable Jameson Melatonin that was our saving grace. He gets 3mg 30 min to an hour before bed. Our Ped recommende it for our DD so we used it with DS too. It helps him fall asleep faster so he gets more rest although he still needs 12 hours if he can get it and it stimulates REM sleep which is not deep sleep.

We also took him off Dairy. The dark circles under the eyes are often a sign of a Dairy sensitivity.

People only stay in deep sleep for a very short time every night though. It could be that he is getting woken in the middle of a cycle? DS goes to bed at 7pm and gets up at 7am on weekdays, weeknights it is 8am to 8pm.

Cycles are in 1.5 hour blocks usually. Also we use a clock radio to wake him up so he wakes up gradually to music which helps him a lot in the morning.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tanya2 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:19 am

Bathtimebliss, has he been investigated for sleep apnea?? It can cause very similar symptoms. Hope you find some answers- so hard to see your child so tired.
tanya2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Bathtimebliss on Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:45 pm

thanks you two! I actually forgot I had posted this until now :lol: His doctor didn't seem too worried about it but we are getting his iron tested just to rule that out. We will see once we get the results. It is interesting about the dairy- he loves his milk and I have been cutting him back on that. One nurse also said that boys grow in spurts and that could also be why- he did grow about 1 inch in 2 months!
Bathtimebliss
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting