KIV Community

breastfeeding info pleaze

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

breastfeeding info pleaze

Postby MELANIE on Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:39 pm

well my baby is due in march...i remeber how to breast feed even though its been 10 years since my son did

but my hubby wants to feed the baby also
so my question is what is a good breast pump to use

and what bottles do i need for breast milk

can you freeze it?
how long can you freeze it for?
can you store it in the fridge?

this part is new to me cause with my son i was a single mom so i just breastfed and used no pump

thanks in advance

melanie
aka
melanie and jeff
MELANIE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Fawn on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:04 am

I'm looking into this as well. My first is due in a couple weeks. I really want my husband to have the chance to bond with our baby, and this will also give me the chance to have a bit of "me" time. I know I'm dreaming, but it is my fairy tale world for another few weeks!
I've bought an Avent Isis Pump. It comes with bottles, and it cost very little as I bought it from someone on KIV. Breast milk can be stored in sterile jars in the freezer for up to two weeks, I've heard, or two days in the fridge. Always defrost frozen milk in fridge, rather than on the counter.
It is a good idea to label all jars with the date, this way you don't get confused.
Ask your doctor, public health nurse, midwife or Doula to help you express with whatever system you decide on. It may take time, but so worth it. I encourage more women to pass baby on to dad for a feeding now and then. Otherwise, it's your special connection that he won't understand.
Apparently you can express by hand as well, especially if you can press some colostrum out already before the baby is born.
A tip I've read is to get a steady rhythm going, however you express, that imitates how your baby sucks.
Best of luck, and wish me well too!
Fawn
Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom. No longer lend ourselves to that which we wish to be free from. Fill your lives with love and bravery, and you shall lead...a life uncommon.
-Jewel Kilcher

Fawn
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Teresa D. on Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:15 am

I had the Avent pump and thought it was great, but I never tried any other ones either so???
I used to freeze my milk in the Playtex bottle bags, sealed with a clip you can buy at the dollar stores (they come in multipacks, and are all different colors; they are just like the Avent ones you buy in the stores, only much cheaper!)
When freezing milk in those bags, freeze it first in the bottle for an hour or two, so it takes to the shape of the bottle, then slip it out, clip it off, and when you are ready to take it out, it just slips right back in the bottle! I made this mistake with the first bit of milk I pumped; I froze it flat, then I had to thaw it, then get it back into the bottle! It was hard and my sister tipped me off to doing it the other way, and it worked very well. (Hope that explanation makes sense!)
You can keep breastmilk in the top freezer of your fridge for 6 weeks, and in the deep freeze for 3 months? 6 months? can't remember, sorry! And I believe in the fridge for 24 hours?
Guess I'm not much help! :roll:

Teresa D.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: breastfeeding info pleaze

Postby wonderwoman on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:01 am

wonderwoman
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sherri L. on Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:27 am

I also used the Avent Isis for my first child. It worked well for me.

I bought it at London Drugs.

If any parts break or crack you can call Avent and get free replacement parts.

I found it cracked at the neck piece if you screwed it too tight, which was very easy to do. I see since then it has been redesigned as one whole piece so I'd imagine this wouldn't happen now.

As for freezing the breastmilk I used an ice cube tray and tranferred them to a ziplock bag. This way I could vary the amount I thawed and they would thaw faster too.

My second child would never take a bottle so I never got to use it again

Sherri
Sherri L.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby amazonmama on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:26 pm

the public health nurses that come to your house after you give birth are a wealth of knowledge (at least I found that with the one I had). They suggest the avent nipples or the nuk ones.
I would hold off buying anything before the baby comes though because you will find that your baby will have a preference towards a certain nipple, especially if you wait until they are 4-6 weeks old (and I strongly suggest that because of nipple confusion). I would suggest just buying one bottle now, just incase something happens and you can't nurse right away. For example, with me, my milk came in at night and my dd slept like a trooper, so by the time I woke her up to feed her, my boobs were so ingorged, she couldn't latch! So, I had a crying baby, no pump, no bottles and it was a sunday, so no immediate help (i.e. doctor, public health nurse, etc.) Just something to think about.

Keep in mind,there are TONS of other things your partner can do to bond with the baby, other than feeding. I know in our household, bathtime is Daddy's thing. It's their special time and when the baby is really small, it's nice for daddy to have a bath with them (a great bonding experience!)

Hope this helps.

amazonmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby WCM on Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:05 pm

I cannot say enough about Carole Arndt. She advertises in Island Parent. The breast pump lady. She's been doing this for years, knows evrtything you need to know, and can explain it in user friendly ways. She rents out pumps, all kinds. You can try some, see which ones work for you. She is truly fantastic,and reasonably priced. Please give her a call!! The world of pumps is so hard to navigate. I tried a ton of diff. ones I bought, then found Carole, found peace. Until we discovered our babe would have nothing to do with a fake nipple, dh be damned! So it was back to my nipples only. :)
For a minute there, I was myself.
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby D&J&L's_Mommy on Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:43 pm

I second Carol Arndt, she is really reasonablly priced and she even delivered the pump to the hospital for me. She is extremely knowledgeable and was a great help to me.

D&J&L's_Mommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mookie's mum on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:27 pm

I just saw 2 copies of 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding' at the WIN store on Pandora yesterday... if you are interested!
mookie's mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:42 pm

And seek out your local La Leche League. they can offer tips and pump suggestions too!
WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MELANIE on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:31 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

you are all so great and the advice is great....its all stuff i was concerned about and i figured what a great place to ask..

so ty and i will keep all this info and find that womens number and call her

ty ty ty

melanie
AKA MELANIE AND JEFF

OK TYPING IN SMALL LETTERS IS NOT SO BAD...just means i have to be more careful when i type

so dont mind the typos
MELANIE
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby WCM on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:36 pm

WCM
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Max on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:18 pm