KIV Community

Canada Comforts: items needed!

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Canada Comforts: items needed!

Postby CharleneK on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Girls new or gently used cotton panties, sizes 2-10,This item is of most importance presently as they will be sent very soon!

Boys cotton shorts & t-shirt
blankets
toques
scarves
sweaters
shirts
babies clothing
kids clothing
teens clothing

People ask me what we need the most and I tell them the answer is any, and all of the above. As requests come in they are shipped out under the Canada Comforts name through the Compassionate Warehouse in Esquimalt
Canada Comforts (formerly Bears and Bags)

Funding:
We have no official funding. We operate on a “wing and a prayer” and so far we have managed. We rely heavily on donations of yarn, stuffing, fabric, etc. We also have people who give us financial help and we are truly grateful. Non-governmental agencies and individuals pay for the container shipping charges which comes under the Compassionate Warehouse’s jurisdiction.

Drop-off Points:
Please put your name and phone number on your parcels. If you don’t wish an acknowledgement just mention it, but I would still like your name and phone number so I can provide you with needed information that may arise. All of the Compassionate Warehouse drop-off points can be used as well. Please make sure my name is on your parcels and I will be notified.

Please note the following drop-off points do not have large storage areas. Therefore for large donations, please call and arrangements for drop off or pick up will be made.

1. SAWYER SEWING CENTRE 388-6628

201 – 3400 Douglas Street

(the other side of Douglas from Town and Country Mall)

2. CHURCH OF THE ADVENT 474-3031

Corner of Sooke Road and Mount View Ave

(Church driveway is behind the Shell Gas Station)

Approx 1 mile past Juan de Fuca Recreational Centre on the

opposite side of the street

HOURS Weekdays 9:00 am – 12:00 pm / able to accept all donations

3. Don and Sylvia Hatfield’s at 1185 Wychbury 474-4614

Able to take all donations / Leave beside the carport door.

4. VAL MAJOR (IN DUNCAN) 250-746-6236

Our Story:

In 1986 in Bath, England, the Emergency Care for Children (ECC) sent out a medical team to the Sudan. The reports sent back to Bath were shocking. A temporary refugee camp had been set up for 2,000 tubercular orphans who had been found (some with guns in their hands) wandering in the desert. Someone in Bath came up with the idea of knitting each child a simple Teddy. The idea caught on rapidly and 2,000 bears were sent to the Sudan.

The Teddies clutched by the children were the only things they possessed. One doctor said the Teddies did more good than medicine. “Cheer them up mentally, give them hope, and you are on the road to putting them right physically”. Another doctor said the Teddies were helping to make children back into children. It soon became apparent many positive things were happening with the cuddly critters. However, one major problem arose. Since these comfy Teddies were the children’s only possession, they were afraid to go to sleep at night for fear of someone taking their friend away while they slept. Hence the bag idea. As soon as the bags were sent, Teddy could remain safe and out of sight at night.

The Teddy idea came to Canada in 1992 through a lady named Melody McQuitty who lives in Sidney, B.C. As it happens she is related to the Chief Surgeon of the Christian Blind Mission International. It came as no surprise then, that when she and a group of friends began to make teddies they were sent through this Mission. The Mission has a broad mandate since it works with the blind, the deaf, those with war related injuries such as land mine victims and those suffering with any number of physical ailments.

Since Melody was on holiday, it was I who was challenged on February 2, 1998 to produce, in 5 weeks, 250 teddies and bags for a remote poverty stricken area in Tanzania. Since I didn’t know any of Melody’s helpers, I sent word out to the Western Communities and a group of ladies met in my home to work on this project. Although cross-eyed and finger-blistered, we were very proud to ship off 550. Because of increasing numbers our house was soon too small, so we moved to the Juan de Fuca Senior Centre in September 1998 and we have been there ever since.

When Christian Blind Mission stopped sending goods from Canada, we were delighted to hear of the opening of the Compassionate Warehouse here in Victoria. This warehouse is run completely by volunteers, as is our workshop. Only goods that are requested are sent and they are shipped in 40’ containers. All the containers have arrived safely. Thanks to email, we know when the containers clear customs and when they reach their destinations.

After we expanded the variety of our articles we were sending, a name change was in order since we no longer just made Bears and Bags. After a vote from the 46 satellite groups, individuals and the core workshop people our new name became Canada Comforts. Most of the satellite groups have their own suitable names, but when it comes to shipping, government, and customs’ documents we all come under the Canada Comforts umbrella.

Volunteers:
Canada Comforts is completely run by volunteers and so are the people who work from their homes.
Seniors’ Centre in Victoria. We welcome visitors from 10-11 a.m. Please phone me or the centre (250-474-8618) to make sure we haven’t cancelled that Tuesday for some strange reason.

Countries that we have sent to since February 1998 - February 2007

Afghanistan Kenya Tanzania
Albania Korea Thailand
Angola Kosovo Togo
Armenia Laos Tonga
Azerbaijan Liberia Trinidad
Bangladesh Malawi Uganda
Belarus Maldives Ukraine
Berkino Fasso Mexico Vanuatu
Bolivia Moldova Venezuela
Bosnia Mozambique Vietnam
Brazil Nepal Yemen
Cambodia Nicaragua Zaire
Cameroon Niger Zambia
Cayman Islands Nigeria Zimbabwe
China Pakistan
Columbia Papua, New Guinea
Congo Peru
Dominican Republic Philippines
East Timor Romania
El Salvador Rwanda
Ethiopia Samoa
Fiji Santa Domingo
Ghana Siberia
Guatemala Sierre Leone
Haiti Somalia
Honduras South Africa
India Sri Lanka
Ivory Coast Sudan
Jamaica Swaziland
Kaliningrad Tajikistan
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MyCaliBaby on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:00 pm

Aww Charlene, this touches my heart and makes me want to cry! Thanks for sharing how this charity originated!

I know I had some little girls underwear that are sz 4 - They were never used but have been washed (Cali outgrew them before she got potty trained - lol.. may have more soon if she doesn't hurry up and train! :D )

Also I'll take a look through Cali's clothing - I know there is a bunch that's too small that I just threw in the closet!

Thanks for posting hun and way to go for being involved with them!

Iesha :D
MyCaliBaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:46 pm

It is my pleasure to share this information with the warm-hearted people on this site! :D

I know I'll be going through my dd's closet (and my linen closet) to see what I can donate to this worthy cause.

We don't really know just how fortunate we are until you hear about people not being able to go to school because they don't have a dress or underwear! We really do have the sweet life here in North America.

CharleneK
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby qutiepie on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:21 pm

well I know I've got boys stuff so I'll go through it, it'll give me an actual reason LOL.
qutiepie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Melanie B on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks Charlene for posting all this.
I watched CTV vancouver (http://vancouver.ctv.ca/index.jsp) where they featured this effort, they also have the patterns for the teddy bears and blankets on the site......I'm making cloths for the midwives.....because I can turn out many of them!!
Melanie B
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:27 am

You Gals ROCK!!! 8) CharleneK
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CharleneK on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:59 am

Bumping this important thread! :D

I found quite a bit of out-grown clothes, socks & underwear in my dd's closet and will be dropping it off today!

Thanks again for your generosity my fellow KIV'ers! :)

CharleneK
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent