KIV Community

natural baby shampoo and other items?

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

natural baby shampoo and other items?

Postby Ginger Snap on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:06 pm

I am having a heck of a time finding a place that sells baby shampoo (as in, no tears) that doesn't also have tons of chemicals in them. Can anyone tell me where I can buy such a creature? Preferably downtown, but that's not essential.
Thanks!

And any other neat tips about natural baby stuff would be welcome, too! Like, anyone know where I can buy natural/safe teethers, rather than yucky plastic stuff probably made in China? Or a great, natural sippy cup or toddler dishes?

Thanks! :-D
Ummmmm... something clever.
Ginger Snap
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kirra'06 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:02 pm

For shampoo you can check out Lifestyles market or the store beside Cascadia Bakery on government st it used to be called Sage Creek but I think they changed the name they have lots of organic baby stuff. I use a product called Gaia but the store I bought it from closed down so I don't know where else to get it now but I really recommend it. As for sippy cups and dishes I purchased mine from life without plastic here is the link.

http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/
kirra'06
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby sw9370 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:15 pm

http://www.sherinash.myarbonne.ca
Pure Swiss Skin Care
Herbal & Botanical Based
sw9370
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby threespawn on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:09 pm

London Drugs actually carries the Upper Canada line of Naturally Baby items... and they are GREAT. Paraben-free (yay!), Mineral Oil Free, Synthetic Dye Free & SLS Free.

http://www.uppercanadasoap.com/product_ ... cat_id=166
threespawn

Postby BAmom on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:13 pm

I recently switched to a mostly organic line of child shampoo/bubble bath that I bought at House of Nutrition in Fairfield Plaza - it has a Mango scent, with real Mango oil in it. Yummy!
I didn't know the meaning of multitasking until I had children!

BA - 6/6/04, D - 4/1/06, M - 1/18/08, N - 11/24/10
BAmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby guinnski on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I always buy from the Vitamin Shop online. They usually do same day delivery to my office (if you order so much - its free shipping) and have been really happy with the service. If you don't like online shopping, their store is downtown on Broad Street. In a pinch - I have also gone to House of Nutrition in Colwood.
guinnski
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ginger Snap on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks everyon! I will def. check those out!

Waaay off topic...guinnski, did you know that you and I shared a pasta lunch at macaroni grill not too long ago, and we have a mutual friend :D
Ginger Snap
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby cartersmama on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:38 pm

I just picked up some soap at the bottom of Johnson. It is their baby soap and is actually a bar but you lather it up and use it for the hair and whole body. It is all natural and organic... and they are based in Victoria! I don't know if it is "tear free" but so far my little guy hasn't complained, too much :lol: Here's their website... http://www.freespiritbotanicals.com/
cartersmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby wonderwoman on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Salt Spring Soap Works!
wonderwoman
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby BabyFair on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:20 am

We use Gaia brand from Mothering Touch or Bellies in Bloom Maternity depending on which neighbourhood I am in when we need it.
I know Natural Creation online store carries all kind of natural stuff too and am going to check out their baby line. (BTW, all three businesses are listed on our website because they exhibited at the Baby Fair last year)

As for "no tears" I was told years ago that "no tears" shampoos actually have a chemical in them preventing stinging & tears, not that they are actually not harmful if they get in to eyes.
So basically you aren't really supposed to get any shampoos into your child's eyes whether it is "no tears" or otherwise.
Producer of the Vancouver Island Baby Fair September 26 & 27, 2015 at Pearkes Rec Centre
http://www.vancouverislandbabyfair.com
http://www.facebook.com/vibabyfair
BabyFair
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ginger Snap on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 am

BabyFair wrote:So basically you aren't really supposed to get any shampoos into your child's eyes whether it is "no tears" or otherwise.

:D Ah yes, but my child is a wee bucking bronco. But thanks for the tip re: those three businesses. I will check out your website... I did pick up some natural wash and shampoo at the Baby Fair last year, but alas it has run out. Next year I will remember to buy two or three bottles to last me for the year.
Ginger Snap
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bluerose0602 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:33 pm

We use burts bees as well as natural bar soap (the kind that someone makes). Thrifty's and Lifestyles Market is where I find my things.
bluerose0602
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Karin & Becki on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am

We definetly carry the full range of Gaia Natural Baby products at Bellies in Bloom! We also have some Baby Organics brand baby products on 30% off :) We are expanding our line of Natural Creation products as well because we LOVE it!

As for teethers, we carry some teething rings from Under the Nile, made from organic cotton. We also carry the Razberry teethers (made in china but silicone rather than plastic).

Call/email/drop in for more info :)
Your local destination for maternity,
nursing, and baby!

Come shop styles for before & after!
Bellies in Bloom Maternity
Royal Oak Shopping Centre
http://www.BelliesInBloomMaternity.com
Karin & Becki
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby jackismine on Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:15 pm

We use Burt's Bees. It is free of sodium laury/laureth sulphate, paraben, and phthalate.
jackismine
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby lovetheisland on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:21 pm

ANother brand name for you...

After searching and searching and experimenting with different products from the health food stores We finally discovered a really great organic brand of baby skin products and are REALLY happy with them. They are called Avalon organics. We buy ours at the Market on Millstream so I am assuming they also sell them at the Market on Yates. I haven't found it at any health food stores yet though.

Here is a link to their website about their products.
http://avalonorganics.com/index.php?id=88&pid=439
lovetheisland
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Parenting