KIV Community

School fundraising ideas please!

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

School fundraising ideas please!

Postby sbenny on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:33 am

Our PAC is looking for some new fundraising ideas for the upcoming school year and we'd love to pick the collective KIV brain! What does your PAC (or other non-profit board) do to raise money?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Sara
sbenny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: School fundraising ideas please!

Postby BabyFair on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Silent auctions are very popular.
Could host it at the school.
I've been to one at a pub where they sectioned off part of the pub for the silent auction.People (parents of students) pay to get in to it and in turn the pub puts out platters of appy's & people buy their own bevvies and bid on silent auctions until a certain time and then the final bidder wins each prize and pays for it on the spot.
Parents are in charge of getting auction items or another idea is each class is responsible for putting together a basket etc...

There's also hotdog stands outside of Walmart or other locations like M&M's.
There's selling flower baskets - popular at Mother's Day.
Personally i can never get sick of the chocolate covered almonds that some schools do.
There's carwashes.
You could do a bike a thon or a run a thon or something like that where kids get pledges in advance.
Good luck!
Producer of the Vancouver Island Baby Fair September 26 & 27, 2015 at Pearkes Rec Centre
http://www.vancouverislandbabyfair.com
http://www.facebook.com/vibabyfair
BabyFair
KIV Advertiser
KIV Advertiser

Region:

Postby Shannon H. on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm

A very easy fundraiser would be having a Barefoot Books sale. The school can get a high percentage of sales back in books, or for non-profits, you can actually earn a percentage of the sales in cash. If the non-profit has sales of up to $200, you earn 20% back, if the sales go to $300 you earn 30% back, if the sales go to $500 or over you earn 40% back.

So for $500 in sales, the non-profit or school can earn $200 cash. Never mind that the books are designed to inspire a child's love of story and art, while being inclusive, multi-cultural and extremely environmental concious and responsible. This is just a brief intro on the fundraising program, but I would be open to meeting and discussing the details.

Good luck,
Shannon H.
Shannon
Shannon H.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shannon H. on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Forgot to mention that with orders over $500 there is also no shipping, and as I am a small business there is no GST on anything, and no PST on books, so you are saving up to 20% and more money is spent that directly goes back to the school.

Barefoot Books has a brand new website to browse too. I'm just in the process of setting up my personal space with it, but here is the main site if you want to browse at your leisure.

http://www.barefootbooks.com/
Shannon
Shannon H.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby sbenny on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Thank you ladies!

We have done a silent auction as part of our spring fair and it was a big fundraiser. I like the idea of a pub night though! Any excuse for a night out :)

Shannon, thank you so much for your information. The PAC will be meeting in September and I would be happy to suggest that we consider a Barefoot Books fundraiser. I'll be in touch.

If anyone else has any great ideas I'd love to hear them!
Sara
sbenny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shopgirl on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:19 pm

I don't sell Tupperware, but I know they do fundraisers too. Our school did one this past year... and used it to encourage litterless lunches as well. Not sure how well our school did with this fundraiser though??
"Some women are dripping with diamonds. Some women are dripping with pearls. Lucky me, lucky me - look at what I'm dripping with - LITTLE GIRLS!" :)
Shopgirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby roseymom on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:18 pm

I am not sure if it would work out here but in Alberta we held a Yuk Yuk's Comedy Night. We hired three comedians and they came out to our small town and we had a comedy night, it was awesome as well we had a silent auction and made an easy $6000.00!
roseymom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby BabyFair on Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:28 pm

melsmom wrote:I am not sure if it would work out here but in Alberta we held a Yuk Yuk's Comedy Night. We hired three comedians and they came out to our small town and we had a comedy night, it was awesome as well we had a silent auction and made an easy $6000.00!

What a great idea!
Producer of the Vancouver Island Baby Fair September 26 & 27, 2015 at Pearkes Rec Centre
http://www.vancouverislandbabyfair.com
http://www.facebook.com/vibabyfair
BabyFair
KIV Advertiser
KIV Advertiser

Region:

Postby Shannon H. on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:16 pm

If you want to let me know an address I can drop off or mail information to you, or we can meet in person. Just let me know what works.
Shannon
Shannon H.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby just me sk on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Another idea is personalized children CDs where the CD sings your child's name throughout the song. The school can earn a higher return then doing entertainment books and kids love them - especially the 2-6 year olds. There is a Care Bear, Spiderman, Barney, Fantastic Four, Christian and various other CDs. They sell for $20 tax in and the school makes $8 on each CD.

Please email me at sk307@shaw.ca if you're interested or have any questions:)

Thanks
Sonja
PS - I love the idea of a pub night as well - parents always need a night out
just me sk
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby girlie on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:38 pm

AVON Fundraisers are great and easy and fun...for schools, offices, community, churches, families in need and the list is endless!!

My team NOVA has done fundraisers for Girl Guides Sparks/Guides, SPA Parties, Birthday Parties, Silent Auction donation/gift baskets, Fundraiser/tables/markets, and more!

For more details, Please contact myself:
Natalie. Your Independent AVON Sales Representative/Unit Team Leader for Team NOVA, Victoria, B.C.
(250)472-2202.
girliegirl044@hotmail.com
www.interavon.ca/natalie.ogilvie
girlie
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nightcrawler on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:19 am

At Sundance the Grade 5/6 class goes to Camp Columbia every year and they fundraise by having a Muffin Monday every week. They take turns baking healthy muffins and popcorn etc and selling them before school and at breaks...they make quite a bit of money this way.

We also did a school tshirt..... we did a whole school one because our school is so small but you could do class tshirts.... each child draws a picture of themself in pencil line drawing and then you get the whole group put on to a tshirt and then sell the shirts. :) I could get you the info of where etc if you want.

We had a dad who is a musician and he volunteered his time for a family dance..... we did this twice once with the school dad and once with a band who is friends with one of the parents (well me actually :D ) and it was a huge hit. Have the parents bring baked good to sell and people pay to get in. We kept it to our school but we also invited the neighbours around our school as well... letting them know what we were fundraising for which was our playground.
Happy to be a mom to a Bear and bonus mom to a Princess, an Empress and a Little Dude.

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Suess
Nightcrawler
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Club Med on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:27 am

Interesting ideas.

How about a "get out of guilt" donation? :lol: Pay a fee and you won't be asked to buy anything or sell anything again until next year? :D They do that kind of thing for T-Ball - pay a volunteer deposit and if you don't want to volunteer you just lose the deposit.
Club Med
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby sbenny on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Great ideas everyone - thank you! I will be in touch with a few of you for sure.

The Get Out of Guilt idea was thrown around at our last meeting and I think could be quite popular - thank you!

Sara
Sara
sbenny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby mishnash on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 am

I have an amazing idea for your school, we've done this simple fundraiser for a few schools around Victoria. Can you please email me here or mish@shaw.ca
mishnash
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent