KIV Community

what are you reading?

You guessed it, this is a forum all about books. What you're reading now, which ones you like, which ones you don't, and anything else to do with books.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

what are you reading?

Postby S_A_M on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 pm

I am out of books!

Can you give me some ideas of your recent favourites? I need something good for my daily commute! :-D

I love books like The Rapture of Canaan, She's Come Undone, Fall on Your Knees, the Sookie Stackhouse series, The Book of Negroes, The Flying Troutmans. I've read most of Jodi Picoult's books, too.

Thanks in advance!
S_A_M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: what are you reading?

Postby midnightly on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 pm

i'm reading "blood promise" at the moment it's part of the vampire academy series.. so far pretty good the rest of the series is good a little slow to start out, just finished Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story and You Suck : A Love Story by Christopher Moore (two book series) it was really good vampire/romance/comedy
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Colesmum on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:10 am

I am obsessed with anything Neil Gaiman right now. Started with Anansi Boys (fantastic), American Gods (fantastic), Fragile things (creepy, but fantastic), Neverwhere (fantastic), Coraline (meant for pre-teens but read it, very dark with a happy ending), and now I'm reading one called Good Omens (really good so far) and I've yet to read Stardust, but I've heard really good things. He's kind of a modern day myth writer, and he does a superb job! :D
Colesmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:28 am

"a breath of snow and ashes" (again) by diana gabaldon...the next one in the series is due this month! woohoo! \:D/
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby tiptoetulip on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 am

You liked The Flying Troutman - have you read the other Miriam Toews books?

I like a lot of what you do and I also enjoy Kris Radish and Elizabeth Berg.
tiptoetulip
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby S_A_M on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:31 am

mar wrote:You liked The Flying Troutman - have you read the other Miriam Toews books?

Yes, I've read and enjoyed them all. We have some fantastic writers in Canada. David Adams Richards is another of my favourites.

I will try Elizabeth Berg and Neil Gaiman. The synopsis for American Gods really captured my interest.

I couldn't get into Gabaldon's series, which surprised me because so many people love, love, love her books.

Midnightly -- I'm so devoted to Sookie and friends (Eric) that I don't know if I could possibly enjoy another Vamp series :D
S_A_M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby midnightly on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 am

S_A_M wrote:
Midnightly -- I'm so devoted to Sookie and friends (Eric) that I don't know if I could possibly enjoy another Vamp series :D

have i found another Eric fan?? Eric is my fave vamp character in that series, i'd rather see her wieh Eric then bill (i'm a huge stackhouse books fan too i think i read the whole series of books in about 2 weeks lol)

the two christopher moore ones are really good, they are a bit of a twist about a fresh female vampire who was turned and is just learning the ropes while finding someone to help her do "day" stuff and avoid getting charged for murder by the person who turned her
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby S_A_M on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Midnightly -- the actor who plays Eric gives me goosebumps. Seriously. It's like I'm 12 again and crushing on Corey Feldman. In the books, he is far the most interesting and complex character. In the TV show, I like his relationship with Bill and Sookie ... and his fang-tabulous looks :D Sorry, that's cheesy but I couldn't resist!
S_A_M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby midnightly on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:16 pm

S_A_M wrote:Midnightly -- the actor who plays Eric gives me goosebumps. Seriously. It's like I'm 12 again and crushing on Corey Feldman. In the books, he is far the most interesting and complex character. In the TV show, I like his relationship with Bill and Sookie ... and his fang-tabulous looks :D Sorry, that's cheesy but I couldn't resist!

ohhh that i know! very very sexy man.. though i prefered the long hair vrs the shorter of this season.. funny thing about that guy(Alexander Skarsgård ), he's also in Zoolandar with Ben Stiller as one of models that dies in the gasoline fight

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xXaYj33F0A just incase you are interested in watching it)
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 3_pack_mom on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm currently reading the Time Traveller's Wife, and have just finished reading "The Queen's Fool" by Phillipa Gregory (the author of the Other Boleyn Girl), and 2 Jeffrey Archer books (Cane and Abel, Honor Among Thieves).

How are the Sookie Stackhouse books? I've been thinking about reading them, but not sure how the writing etc is.. could you describe them a little? Is it all blood and gore, some blood and gore and some romance, or what?
"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
3_pack_mom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ivy-Girl on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:24 pm

THE WHITE QUEEN, the newest release by Philippa Gregory about the Plantagenets who precede the Tudors & Elizabethan era that she wrote about in her previous few books.

It's actually the first of a series to come. Yay!
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby S_A_M on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:11 am

3_pack_mom wrote:How are the Sookie Stackhouse books? I've been thinking about reading them, but not sure how the writing etc is.. could you describe them a little? Is it all blood and gore, some blood and gore and some romance, or what?

The Sookie books are a fun read. Not too heavy. The series gets a little silly towards the sixth and seventh books. It's not all blood and gore -- it's really about Sookie, a telepath, balancing her life between supernaturals and humans. I read the entire series in about a week or two.

Ivy-Girl wrote:THE WHITE QUEEN, the newest release by Philippa Gregory about the Plantagenets who precede the Tudors & Elizabethan era that she wrote about in her previous few books.

I like Philippa Gregory -- I'll have to check out The White Queen.

Midnightly -- thanks for the clip. He looks so young in Zoolander!

I'm watching reruns of True Blood on Shaw on Demand while our daughter naps -- what a way to spend a rainy Sunday!
S_A_M
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby knittingmama on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm currently reading 'The Time Traveller's Wife' - really good book. Before that, I was reading 'Dark Gold' by Christine Feehan - it's part of her Dark series about vampires. 'The Secret Life of Bees' is a good read too.
knittingmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tiptoetulip on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 pm

I just read "The Book of Negroes." Wow.
tiptoetulip
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Ivy-Girl on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:29 pm

mar wrote:I just read "The Book of Negroes." Wow.

A friend/co-worker just read that and loved it. Someone scooped it before I could...I'm waiting my turn. She knows the kinds of books I like so she thinks I'd really enjoy it.
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Books, books, books