KIV Community

June/July 2010 Due Date Club!

The place to ask all the questions, share your experiences, offer advice and chat with other parents about this awesome and bewildering experience.

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Re: June/July 2010 Due Date Club!

Postby Zmama on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 am

Hello all,

Cerclage removal went so smoothly. I was only at LDR for less than an hour. The OBS doc was great and it didn't hurt. There's been no real change as of yet.

I am 37 weeks today and free I'm to have this baby at home. We have all the supplies and the tub rental. I feel like MissReilly did last week, I'm not ready for the baby yet. It's a big change that I can't even imagine. Maybe another week of this rib-kicking will prepare me ;-) It seems like the baby is running out of room. She's under my ribs most of the time.

I've been starting to get more active. Walking, yoga etc. I might go 'floating' today at the pool. I imagine it'll be so glorious just to float around, oh and maybe swim a lap or two.

[quote="MissReilly"]
"Zmama - I was telling you in prenatal class about my unfortunate conversation with my mother about visiting after the baby is born...anyway, we had another chat and her feelings aren't hurt anymore. She and my husband's mom are going to come over shortly after the baby is born and only stay briefly and may even stay in a hotel. We also told them about what we learned in prenatal class about them being there to help us with housework and not just to hold the baby and they're happy to help and follow our rules! Hopefully your family gets it too (hopefully faster than mine!) "

Well, my talk with my family went okay. We decided no guests staying with us for labour and birth (especially because it's a home birth!) My Dad & Stepmom wanted to come from Ontario, like today, and stay here indefinitely. There were some hurt feelings. But I'll take the guilt over being uncomfortable with people in the house during labour. I think I could probably chat with my mom (who lives in Van also) about coming after the birth to help out.

Other than that I'm enjoying my time off. Feeling grateful that I've made it this far.

Zmama
Zmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby edall on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying your time before baby gets here. And for those that have delivered, I hope you are adjusting well. We just finished getting the baby room set up last night after new carpets and painting. It seems that baby knew that we were done because at my doctor's appt this morning we found out that the baby has dropped and my blood pressure is up. I am now on modified bed rest (i.e. don't chase my two year old around!) and have to go for non-stress tests twice per week. I am thinking this all means baby will be early. The same thing happened with my son and after two weeks of high blood pressure he was born at 38 weeks. We'll see...at least I am all ready for whenever baby makes his appearance!

edall
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby libra on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Hey ladies, Libra here...

any advice for a newbie mom-to-be who's closing on 8 days overdue? I'm going out of my head and have lost the built up motivation I was kinda counting on. Apperently my partner's mother was 2 weeks overdue with another week after (!) being induced (god knows what they gave her).

I've got another midwife's appointment, and will be going for the 2nd search/sweep and hoping for some action, but seriously... this is crazy.

Am/was planning a calm home-birth, but each day makes me worry about myconium and being forced to do a c-section in the end. Not the worst thing in the world, but not my ideal finale.

Oh - also have another "need advice' comment... today was the 4th woman to stop and ask about me having twins - and umm... I'm not. It would be funny, if I wasn't already crazy-tired with the hormones and being 8 days late, but don't people have any idea? Comments to a pregnant woman about being "so big" is never good, esp when I have to explain that no, I'm not having twins, I'm just big. Makes me just want to stay home and avoid people in general. Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,

Libra (Jessica)
libra
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby VicStepmom on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 am

So had another prenatal this morning - and the lovely GBS culture. Baby is doing well, her heart rate was good, my BP is good...and we get another ultrasound and non-stress test because although I'm 36.5/37 weeks - I'm measuring 32 but my doctor says that the baby is now dropped into my pelvis so is part of the reason why I'm measuring smaller (last appointment I was measuring 34 weeks) and I'm 1.5 cm dilated :shock:. So despite my plans of a July 9 birth, baby might have other ideas...I just hope she can hold off long enough for me to finish my work week and still get the elective c...

I have WAY too much to do still...I haven't even packed my hospital bags or bought a car seat...I guess I'll do that tonight (better safe than sorry)...
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am

Oh and on the twins comment - you could just respond that its not twins your just ready to pop at any moment and then you could fein a contraction or something!
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Beccak on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 am

So I had my dr appt this morning...nothing going on! Grrrrrr.....its irritating that these pains that I have been having are not doing a darn thing. Baby is lower, but still sitting high up.

I lost a lb over the past week which is fine with me. :-D So I am up 24lbs for the pregancy! That is much better than the 38lbs I gained with DD. :)

Babe is measuring 41 weeks, but my dr said that it could just be how he is laying or stretched out and isn't worried about. My dr is going out of town for a wedding this weekend, so hopefully nothing happens! Although, I have met her sub doctor before.

The sub dr is a lactation counsellor as well and I met with her this morning to talk about my situation. She feels very positive about the chances of me being able to breastfeed this time, even though I had the breast reduction. YAY!!!!!!!!
Beccak
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby VicStepmom on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:59 am

Becca - hope your meeting with the sub went well and I also hope that the babe starts something soon.

MominVic6 - have fun camping! I'm hoping that we'll maybe be able to do some by the end of summer (if I'm recuperated enough, and if we rent/borrow an RV and if the baby is doing well).

It would appear that this might be our last 'kid-free' weekend for a long while. We have the stepkids next weekend and then the following Friday DD will hopefully arrive, safe, sound and healthy. Of course that's assuming she stays put and cooperates until then.

I hope all the babies that have been born are doing well. At some point we should probably move our discussion group to either Facebook (there's a facebook group already set up, of which 7 of us are members) or a different area of KIV as soon none of us will be pregnant anymore and we will all have our babies at home with us.
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby miraclebaby on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Finally had my dr.'s appt. Seems that baby is measuring just right, and that I'm doing fine - nothing at all going on whatsoever. I am measuring 1 1/2 inches more around the girth & a half pound shy of what I gained with my daughter, so I really feel enormous - my husband can't quite deal so much with the size of me - and really, neither can I... but baby is content, so that should be good. I wasn't really expecting baby to be early at all, but somehow I had hopes that it would decide to be a June baby and I could be done with being pregnant. I am so done. :)

I know how hard it is getting near the end, and I always was so supportive of the new baby - it'll come when it's ready... yeah. I'm done.

I also know how frustrating it is for those who are going over their due dates (I hope things are happening for you now/soon!!) I keep on thinking that either the dates were off, or the baby just isn't quite ready & it's more important to think of the baby's needs, of course. I always figure that my babies should be about their due date because I know when their start date was (IVF)... keep in mind that most 1st time moms' babies go overdue - it's nothing unusual, if that helps at all! :(

I'm feeling really good... blood pressure good, sugar levels calm, etc., but swelling is massive & allergies are rampant. Sleeping is not going well - either I can't breathe or my hips ache or whatever. Keep needing a nap in the pm, and either daughter doesn't want to nap or she crashes in the car & then I'm stuck. Yuck. You cannot value an afternoon nap enough, and I could really go for one about now! :)

Hope you're all hanging in there just fine and that we get some good news from Libra & Spiralkitty soon. Oh, and the stupid people asking about twins? Yeah, just gotta find a way to let it roll off your back somehow... it'll prepare you for the deluge of stupid things that well meaning people say to you when you have your baby. :)

PS... we did a getaway to Vancouver on Mon/Tues! Kind of our first holiday of sorts since before we had my daughter! That's 3 yrs now!!! We're still hoping for a camping getaway for a couple of days, but we'll see how things are for my husband's next days off...

miraclebaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Miraclebaby - happy to hear you got your getaway with the DH! Hopefully your LO will make an appearance soon - but I'm currently thinking the chinese proverb 'be careful what you wish for' applies in the circumstance. At least then you'll be able to drown your sleep deprivation sorrows with some normal food (like that big bowl of cereal, or 'real' ice cream)...

I have made it to my final day of work, after today I'm a free woman until next July...I'm quite happy that the baby has cooperated in terms of at least letting me finish up at the office and hasn't thrown any maternity leave curve balls my way.

So this upcoming week I'll focus on final preparations, getting the house neat and tidy and maintaining it so that it's clean when I get home from the hospital and can be maintained by a housekeeper for a bit, temporarily moving from the upstairs master to the main floor guest room to eliminate the stairs for a couple of weeks, and of course collecting baby gear to ensure that she has enough for her arrival. I've got the first 2 weeks after delivery covered in terms of additional help so that I can focus on the baby and recuperating - so all is good.

The second week (assuming all the prep gets done in the first week off), I'm going to look into a longer range plan for the time I get to spend with the LO - or else I could see myself getting cabin fever...not so much right away but 3 months in...
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby miraclebaby on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Ideas... I never felt the boredom so much from being at home, but then, I never ever stayed home so much, and I've been home with my girl for almost 3 years now! :) I didn't know how I'd ever do it, because I'm such a busy type, always active & involved... I just skewed my direction in ways that involved or supported my daughter's interests, and sometimes fulfilled things myself (that I was able to take her to). Some people just can't get past the urge to return to work, and that's the way it goes, but I really only felt those twinges when the kids were returning to school and I wasn't (I was a substitute teacher before I had my daughter).

Anyway... meet up groups. www.meetup.com I belonged to ones for the past almost 2 years, and was an asst. organizer for most of that time. Creating sightseeing/park visits/etc. for other moms & meeting up with them. The last one stopped in April, but I've been involved with another one (although I haven't been able to plan much at this point), and it's Victoria Moms & Dads with babies & small children. It's free. Hopefully, I'll be up & running with it more, but for now, it's mostly parks, swimming, etc. There's a sightseeing one (that you have to pay a fee for), a breastfeeding one, etc. Check it out. We had over 250 people involved with my old sightseeing group, and it was really fantastic... tours for architecture, cemeteries, historic places, gardens, etc., and everyone supportive of you because, hey, we're all moms. :) You can meet people there & form friendships, which is the best advice to keep you from getting lonely/bored, which happens.

Awesome Mommies... again a fee thing, but there's all kinds of activities that anyone can plan.

Health unit baby groups... I met up with a group while still in Calgary, and we ended up getting together at each other's houses for "playdates", which mostly involved letting the kids play/interact/sleep and the moms got to talk. It was the best experience, and I was so sad when I moved here & couldn't find anyone.

Stars & Strollers... movie theater events planned for moms.. lower sound volume & lighting. All moms, but not so suitable for older babes. I never did take in one of them, and I always regretted missing the opportunity. Maybe my daughter would be able to handle a movie someday before the LO gets too big. :)

US!! We are a great resource, if anyone wants to plan activities, etc. I absolutely LOVED meeting up at people's places, and I've been trying to re-create that experience since I moved out here.

Strong Start - not for the summer, but you'll be busy enough then, trying to catch up on sleep & figure out the baby. You can take kids 0-5, and there's centers at many of the schools.

I have a ton of other ideas, but I don't want to add another lengthy diatribe... :) You can plan a neat thing you'd like to accomplish on your time off, and that really makes it worthwhile. Schooling? Really, there's loads of stuff... take this time for you & your baby and discover new things together. :)

I was sooooo thrilled to do the getaway to Vancouver...we had a blast & it was so relaxing! My other wishlist is a two day camping affair, and we'll see if I can pull that off too. Oh, and our anniversary is on the 7th, 3 days before baby is due. I'd love to have a date night with my husband (never had one of those yet).

Date nights are wonderful & essential... if you have someone to help you, get them happening once you get baby settled a bit & can get away.

VicStepMom, I'm so glad you made it to your last day of work! Celebrate & enjoy! I worked right up till the end of the school year with my daughter, and it was fantastic.

I think I may just be starting to get a stretchmark... :(((( Never had any with my daughter, but I'm getting bigger around this time. My husband is quite timid to come near me, and I'm really, really not very big in general... just bigger than last time! Hahaha... I asked if he'd help me get up from the sand if I went to play with my daughter, and he said he would, and he'd also stop others from trying to put me in the water... "No, seriously, it's my wife!" (not a beached whale)... thanks. 1 1/2 inches bigger than I was with my daughter and about 1.5 pounds less weight gain thus far (21.5 pounds gained).

miraclebaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Rainydays on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Have fun camping mominvic6! Yay to you, vicstepmom, for making to the end of work! It's such a wonderful feeling to be done. I've been off work for 2 weeks now, but I found that it took until a couple of days ago for it to really sink in. Hurray for getting out of town for a couple of days, miraclebaby! Libra, I hope you had your baby or are well on your way by now!

I have been having major cramping and contractions again, but it's still not labour, just preparations for labour. I was up the other night with contractions 4 minutes apart for about an hour, but they didn't persist or get stronger and eventually they just stopped. I know the baby will come when she's ready and I'm only 38.5 weeks, anyway, but it's so just confusing to have all this happening and not know if it's really labour. I've been told that I will know when it's real, but how do you know if you don't know what to expect? Guess I'll have to wait and see! Besides the sore belly, I'm feeling pretty good, and I don't feel "done" yet. I could do without the ugly, puffy feet, but am enjoying the time to myself right now.

I'm all for moving the group to Facebook, as someone mentioned. We can post photos and not be as worried about privacy that way.
Rainydays
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby libra on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Quick update from Libra...

no baby. Now 12 days over (soon to be 13). Went for another set of non-stress tests and ultrasounds today to confirm that that baby is comfy in there (which she is - maybe too much so).

Tried the castor oil milkshakes from the midwife (twice), lots of walking and hill climbing. Sex (believe it or not - still in shock that it's possible), spicy food like mexican and curry, acupuncture earlier today and a drumming class (she was rolling around alot, but didn't come out) a couple of days ago. Midwives also have done 3 stretch and sweeps (4th tomorrow morning) and tried/did inflate a water-filled catheter in the cervix overnight (which pushed me open to 5cm... which went back to 1cm after removal.).

Politely declined cervadil and medical induction this morning and was given the weekend to get her out on my own. I feel silly holding out, when all I really want is for this to be done - but I just have such a strong urge to avoid c-sections if possible, and know that one intervention so easily leads to the next... and sets the "timer" in terms of VGH rules and regulations.

Any other tips ladies? I'm almost at 42 weeks pregnant here, hmmm.
libra
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby edall on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 pm

Yikes Libra...I certaintly feel for you! I am not yet 38 weeks and already want this pregnancy to be over with. May I ask why you don't want cervidil? I had it with my first and went into labour right away and delivered within 4 hours. The contractions were really close together, but at least baby was delivered quickly. Unfortunately I have no suggestions to get things going other than the ideas you have already tried. I hope that you go into labour this weekend and that it goes smoothly!

edall
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby VicStepmom on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Libra - wow, sounds like you've tried everything and then some. I wish it was going better for you and don't know what I'd do if I were in similar shoes. On one hand (some of) the interventions might increase the risk of a c-section, on the other hand going far over post-dates also has risks. I really hope that it happens for you this weekend in the way you would like, and that both you and baby do well. If, at the end of the day, you do need some help evicting baby - go easy on yourself. I remember how disappointed my sister was when she was told that a natural birth wasn't an option for her son - she felt robbed of the experience. At the end of the day she wound up with a healthy son and recuperated well from the c-section. One thing that helped her was to focus on that what made her a good mom wasn't the 'how' of her son's arrival but all the things she did before he was born and after to ensure his health and happiness.

Wow Miraclebaby - you are a tremendous resource! If I find half of what you suggested to be worthwhile, I'm sure I'll make it through the year without feeling too 'shut-in'. I also want to think of a couple of personal projects to complete as I just think it's such a tremendous opportunity (a year off that is mostly paid at a special time in your child's life) that rarely happens in the course of a lifetime. I just don't want to 'squander' it when there's so much potential! Perhaps we'll run into each other at the hospital as your due date is the 10th and my pull date is the 9th...

Hope everyone else is doing well..
VicStepmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby miraclebaby on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Oh Libra... I was hoping that you weren't still waiting. There are supposed to be loads of options to get labour started, not just ramming you through brutal labour in a rush - have you looked into it? My friend had this thing like a tampon type thing & it was very gentle. Can't remember the name... hope you're hanging in there. Sounds like you're holding fast for what you want, but I know that usually they don't let you go too much past 2 weeks overdue, or it's not supposed to be too great for the baby (or us, that's for sure!)

I know you're making the best decisions possible, and I sure know what you mean about staying off that slippery slope of starting "drug" things & then they just get carried away. I am praying that somehow I can keep myself from getting most anything for drugs/intervention at all... I keep on worrying they're going to stick me on insulin or something for the birth, or jump for a c-section, being concerned about the size of the baby or whatever...

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for you. Keep walking, have as much sex as possible (something in the sperm solution is supposed to help), look into the rubbing the nipples thing??? I'm usually one to let the baby decide when they're ready to come, that's for sure... just worried a bit about baby going too long!

I got my hair cut today... way to make a pregnant lady feel a little better. :) Getting that stuff done before the little one comes & the HST kicks in. HAHAHA.

Hope you all are totally enjoying the fabulous day. Isn't it wonderful? I think I may have found something for a dresser for the baby stuff, so things are definitely looking up for me, if only they'll hold on to it for me till we can come to see it. My husband is panting at the bit wanting to know when to book his holidays... yeah, anywhere from 2 weeks (from today - yay!) to 26 days from now, I guess!!

I hear you, edall... I'm 38 weeks today (I think we're due about the same time), and I sure could be done any time at all. That would really make my day to get to have this baby pretty soon. :)

VicStepMom... I sure hope that we can meet up soon. Seems like we've gone through a lot of the same stuff. :) I took that time off to really invest in my child's welfare & well-being. I've wanted to be a mom for so very, very long that I was going to dive in with both feet & I haven't looked back. I have no mat leave this time, as I haven't worked since I stopped working with my daughter - both my husband & I felt it was really important for her to have one of us as caregiver & such. I've done every option available for expanding her horizons & I have no regretted one moment of it. For someone like me who usually had at least one full time & one part time job (at one point, I had a total of 7 jobs going on at the same time... not a lot of free time!) Oh, and then I volunteered & worked out & had a life otherwise... I never thought that I could handle just being at home. You really need other people going through the same things - that moms group connection is essential. That's a big reason why I love keeping up with all of you - makes me feel centered through this pregnancy... it has been such a long journey!!

Oh, and I am the resource person. I love to find what works & what doesn't & try to help others when they're having troubles, so ladies, if you are stuck, please ask me about anything. It's something I enjoy doing. :)

miraclebaby
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy and Birth