KIV Community

Arts & Craft ideas for just turning 1 year olds

Have a great idea for something to do with your kids? Looking for child-friendly craft ideas? This forum is for you!

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Arts & Craft ideas for just turning 1 year olds

Postby shhsecret on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Ladies,
I know my kids are pretty young for crafts but any ideas of activities to do with them? Please keep in mind everything is still in the mouth :D
shhsecret
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Arts & Craft ideas for just turning 1 year olds

Postby Angels 6 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:50 am

Pudding and yogurt finger painting. Tape some paper to their high chair or table, dress them up with some old t-shirts and let them finger paint away.

You can find some great edible play dough recipes online, I would stay away from the one's with Peanut butter just in case there are any allergies.

:)
Last edited by Angels 6 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Angels 6
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby shhsecret on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:54 am

I found some good ones online although we might need to wait a bit for some of them. They are taken from someone else's post so the "I" is not me.

I have found that you can get some "cheap" (dollar store) water bottles that are pretty easy for the children to squeeze. If you have access to "powdered paint" help each child sprinkle a little on their paper and then spray with water. You can do the same thing with washable markers.

Provide paper plates and washable markers. Have them "draw" all over the plate. When it rains take them outside and watch what happens. You can trim the edges of the paper plate to look like a flower.

Providing two different colored paints for fingerpainting, roller painting, or chubby brush painting provides some "awed" looks from these little ones. If you want more "spring" provide a bold color and white. Again, you can always cut it out into a theme related shape.

Something that is very interesting to observe is to provide imagination paper. This is done over a period of time and with various media from chunky crayons to paint, to markers, to pencils. Just use your imagination to create the paper. I like to start out with "negative shape" paper where I cut out a large shape out of the center of the paper...again you can do theme related. Use the cut-out to glue on a constrasting colored paper as another sheet of imagination paper. It's very interesting to observe youngsters over a period of time. At first they may scribble all over it without any notice of the difference but then you begin to observe that they are starting to draw around the shape or just inside the shape etc.

Rain Drops. Do outside or inside of a box to help keep mess down. Place light blue or white paper in the bottom of the box. Provide dark blue paint and various tools to drip watered down paint inside to make rain drops. I would suggest that you allow for at least two papers per child since you'll want to observe the first one and change their papers before it turns into a blob of blue paint. Then allow them to do it as long as they wish on the second paper. Remember it's the process not the product. Then when dry, help them add an umbrella (which you could have them decorate) and add the words "Rain rain go away, little (Anna) wants to play."

I have taken a shape and lightly taped it inside of an oatmeal canister and had the children help me placed marbles that have been dipped in paint inside the canister. Put the lid back on and roll it back in forth with the child singing favorite songs. Then when the child loses interest in the rolling you show them what their shape looks like now. Be sure to show them what it looks like before you put it in the box.

all you need is a plastic bin about the size of a sheet of paper and about 5 or 6 inches deep. put some cunstruction paper in the bottom of the bin and fill some paper or styrofoam bowls with different colors of paint. dip a golf ball in one of the colors (cover the whole ball) and drop it in the bin (on top of the paper). let the child shake, jiggle bounce the bin or whatever he or she pleases to create a pattern on the paper. continue dipping golf balls and dropping them in the bin. we called it golf ball painting.
another fun one is string painting. take different colors of paint dip a string in them and allow the kids to drag the strings across the paper or swirl them around on the paper, anything goes!
shhsecret
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby wendymc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

"painting" with water on walls or cement outside (works better when it gets warmer, as the pictures dissapear :)

"birdfeeders" can be made by stringing plain cheerios onto a pipe cleaner. Bend the filled pipe cleaner into a ring and hang it on a tree for birds or animals to eat. (pipe cleaners are stiff so they're easier to string the 'beads' onto than string)

Sticking things like beads, sparkles, sticks, seeds, beans, etc into playdoh

Crayon colouring - less messy. If you cut out a shape and have them colour it, it looks more like art even with just a few scribbles.
wendymc
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shannon H. on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Water based paint outside is great. Our daughter would paint leaves, stones, the sidewalk, etc. We had some brushes and small rollers and would put pain right on the cement and just have fun. It's a great activity and it brightens things up and then washes away when it rains!
Shannon
Shannon H.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Blacken on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 pm

I've always liked the footprint idea at one year - paint their feet and have them walk across a canvas - good sentimental value :)
Other than that, salt dough is always popular - it's all about texture and banging the dough with assorted items lol
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby shhsecret on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:45 pm

mischa.simpson wrote:I have taken a shape and lightly taped it inside of an oatmeal canister and had the children help me placed marbles that have been dipped in paint inside the canister. Put the lid back on and roll it back in forth with the child singing favorite songs. Then when the child loses interest in the rolling you show them what their shape looks like now. Be sure to show them what it looks like before you put it in the box.

Tried this last week with baby formula cans and rocks (had to improvise on a rainy day) and it worked well.
shhsecret
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby DeniseFrankl on Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 am

I don't think painting is a good craft for playing for the 1-year-old child.
DeniseFrankl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Arts & Crafts