KIV Community

screaming at a playground

Friendly discussion on all issues related to parenting. Stories, experiences, alternatives, tips and support. This is a place to share ideas with other parents on the tough job of raising kids.

Moderators: Keeper, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

screaming at a playground

Postby happy.bunny on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:29 pm

do you let your child scream at a playground just for the sake of screaming? i live across a field from a playground and literally all day long there are kids screaming, not normal kid playing, standing in one spot screaming, taking a quick breath and continues screaming.... or the kids take turns screaming, all day long? do you think this is ok? do you consider the people who live near the park?

i am not talking about once in a while screams, nor normal kids playing a game, its full out screaming, the parents doing nothing about it

personally, obviously i have an issue with it. where did basic consideration for other people go? i enjoy hearing happy kids playing at the playground, but more and more kids are just screaming at the top of their lungs... is this some new parenting thing? or is it the parents don't care b.c its not at their house?
happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: screaming at a playground

Postby Fierce on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:49 pm

No! Never. Drives me nuts. My kids do it, because all kids seem to, but I put a stop to it right away. I tell them it is rude and no one wants to hear them scream because it hurts people's ears.
Fierce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Triuf on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 am

Well, if children cannot scream outside in the playground, where the heck CAN they scream? It would be great if I could take my child to the forest every day so she could let it all out without inconveniencing or annoying anyone nearby.... I am not able to do that. We live in a city. People are going to be living nearby almost anywhere, I won't tell my child to not scream outside - I ask my child to wait until they are outside and then give 'er.

Kids scream. I'm pretty convinced it's healthy - Where I live the neighbourhood building complex children run around from around 4-8pm nearly every night yelling, screaming, hollering - right past my living room and kitchen - It's LOUD. Some nights I get pretty pissed off. It's frustrating and I remind myself they are just being kids.

Just my opinion :)

That said I don't like to see parents just oblivious to what their child is doing. When my child screams, I'm interacting - not texting or on my smartphone, or chatting with other adults ignoring them entirely.
Triuf
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby octobermommy on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:20 am

For the most part my DD is pretty quiet at parks but only if she's playing by herself. It she's at a park with others they scream their heads off and I have no problem with it. We live in a very quiet household and she has to mind herself at school all day. Where else should she be able to scream, having a wonderful time , but at a park?! We live in a suite with no yard for her to play in....*shrug* it's the only place she's really able to let loose and be as loud as she wants. IMO if you choose to buy/rent by a children's playground you should expect screaming. One of my daughter's favourite games to play is that one child is a monster and she is being chased. She runs and screams like crazy. My DD is pretty shy and introverted so when she actually lets loose and feels free and comfortable enough to let er rip I don't stop her. It's her freedom and I'm sure to her, feels like heaven!
octobermommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I kind of see this as people who buy a house near an airport and then complain about the noise of the airplanes all day long. To answer your question, no, I don't consider the people who live near the park. Its a playground. Kids hang out at playgrounds and kids make noise. I wouldn't let my kid stand there and scream their heads off for no reason but I also wouldn't get upset if I was at the park and this was happening. I don't go to a playground for peace and quiet. Some kids have behavioural or other issues and screaming is just something they do. I'd much rather it happen at a playground then at a library or restaurant. I think this is just par for the course when you live near a playground.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby vixx on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

IMO children have absolutely no reason to scream for no reason at all.

Children playing and being loud is one thing, and little babies who have just found their voice is different too. However there is no need for a child to stand and scream.
vixx
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Fierce on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am

To clarify, the above post is more what I meant. I let my kids shout and giggle and run around etc...but I don't let them just stand there and SCREAM for no reason which some kids do. It is piercing and hurts my ears! But chasing each other and running and laughing and shouting is different...I am OK with that, it's just kids being kids. But the piercing scream for no reason is what I won't allow. Don't want to seem like a dragon-mommy!
Fierce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby happy.bunny on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm

happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Tamji on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm

I'd rather be hated for who I am
Than loved for who I am not.
Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby happy.bunny on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 am

while i am not there every time it happens, nor do i know the parents/ children personally, i find it very hard to believe that there are soooooo many adhd/ add/ asd children who come to the small neighbourhood park

and idk maybe its crazy, but screaming for more than 1 hour straight, personally if i was a parent i would be trying to do something, and if it wasn't working i would leave the park :roll:
happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Triuf on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 am

Screaming for an hour straight?? I don't know if you are exaggerating a little ;-) but that's excessive to me, for sure.

I let my daughter scream that piercing scream, sometimes she has big feelings she needs to get out and isn't yet able to verbalize them, but that lasts maybe 2 minutes tops - and it's not nonstop :eek:

I suspect a lot of children are expressing themselves in the way that gets them the most attention, lots of kids get more negative feedback than positive which is why they have so many behaviours we may not enjoy, in my experience anyhow.

It's pretty sad that a big part of moving is due to playground screaming, but I guess it also kinda like a previous poster wrote, about moving near the airport and then not liking the noise. Or moving near the train tracks .. noise is to be expected near a playground.
Triuf
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby it's only me on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 am

it's only me
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby kattnipp on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 am

I don't let my child scream for no reason. She is more then able to understand that screaming like that may cause people around her to think there is something wrong and then at a time when she needs help people won't bother helping her. It does get on my nerves when I hear other kids screaming for no apparent reason but if it gets to be too much for me we come home or I close the windows on the back of the house. Everyone has different things that bother them and different ways of dealing with it.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby happy.bunny on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 am

happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Parenting