KIV Community

Question For Childcare Providers.

Post all your questions, comments, ideas, hints and advice concerning child care. If you are looking for, or offering child care services, this is the place to share your information.

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Question For Childcare Providers.

Postby LittleSong on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey Ladies,
I used to get the sense that there was a real need for good toddler aged care in Victoria, but looking at this message board I see lots of adds for nannies and daycares with spaces, but not very many for people looking for care. I am thinking of doing daycare in my home and wonder if there is a real need? Are spaces hard to fill, or do people still have a hard time finding daycare?
Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)
"Happiness, knowledge, not in another place, but this place, not for another hour, but this hour..."
— Walt Whitman
LittleSong
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Question For Childcare Providers.

Postby Tamji on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Lately I've been averaging a call a day from parents looking for full time care for 1yr olds. Seems to be a baby boom going on, everyone's either looking for Mar/Apr or Sept/Oct right now :wink:
I'd rather be hated for who I am
Than loved for who I am not.
Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LittleSong on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Thank you! I was beginning to worry
"Happiness, knowledge, not in another place, but this place, not for another hour, but this hour..."
— Walt Whitman
LittleSong
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Dylansmama on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:08 am

I am not a childcare provider but I just thought I'd share what I'm noticing. There doesn't seem to be a lot of daycares willing to take a 1 year old. Which is understandable! There seems to be so many daycares with spots open for 2 year olds and up. I was looking for daycare for my 1 year old and had an impossible time finding one. To the point where I only work part time and I'll look again when she's 2. With my son, who is 6 now, I had no problem finding a daycare for him when he was younger. Maybe if you were willing to take babies? Again, it's understandable why people don't want to. So much more work! :D
Dylansmama
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby raven on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

The issue is with licensing and numbers....otherwise daycares would gladly im sure fill up with the wee ones :)
raven
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby murf1511 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 pm

I think there is a real need for infant/toddler care. I don't think this was addressed with the regulation changes in 2007 as now dc's can only take 4 under four and only two of those can be under 2. If a dc has a child under one (I still have people calling for under ones occasionally) then you can only take three under 4.
Whereas before you could take 3 under three and two 3-5
It's not that dc's don't want to take infants.
I am the same, averaging a call a day for infants and both my spots are full. so now I need to fill with a 1.5 or two yr old so when my 2nd infant starts in october the child will be over 2.
murf1511
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Child Care