KIV Community

Do kids need a backyard?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Do kids need a backyard?

Postby OnceHarmony on Sun May 19, 2013 10:10 pm

My BFF and I were having a conversation and they are thinking of selling their house. It has a huge backyard that they never use and they want to downsize. She thinks we should buy it because (as she said) kids need a backyard.

And it got me thinking do kids really need a backyard?
Your home is meant for living, not storage - Francine Jay
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Do kids need a backyard?

Postby Hope1 on Sun May 19, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't know I would say it is a need...however, I am sure thankful
for our backyard.
Our kids are outside a lot (In every season!). I am glad they enjoy it so much as they get fresh air and tons of activity without me having to take them to a park
or greenspace each day. Somedays (like in this weather) they come home from school and will play out there until supper and want to go out again after. Lots of times we're out there too!
It is a huge plus for us. :-D
Hope1
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 am

We don't have a backyard per say. There is a (very) small strip of grass behind our house but its not big enough to do anything on. But we live on a cul-de-sac and the kids are constantly playing out there with all the other neighborhood kids. We do have a deck so we have some privacy and personal space but now that our kids are older and don't need to be directly supervised or have swing sets and stuff like that, I find that it works really well for us. So no, I don't think kids need a backyard as long as they have outdoor space they can play in.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kattnipp on Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 am

For us absolutely. I don't think all families need it but we sure do. I can't imagine how our child would be without her backyard to play in, dig and plant stuff and just hang out with her friends that come over.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby Samandemma on Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

I do not think a backyard is essential but I certainly think that it is important, if possible. We moved when our child was a toddler because we wanted a large, prjvate yard for playing and enjoying as a family.We continue to love having a yard and we are out in it often.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 am

My dd would say yes, my ds who is older now would say no. I think it does make it easier on the parents :)
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby LeftyChef on Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 am

It was a deciding factor when we were looking for a house. Somewhere private my kids can play without being directly supervised is a plus for me. I'm not big on kids running around the neighbourhood, I find it safer in my own yard.
LeftyChef
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby happy.bunny on Mon May 20, 2013 10:53 am

for me the question would be more do parents need a backyard to keep sane? :lol: and yes for my child YES! a million times yes
happy.bunny
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby debbiel on Mon May 20, 2013 1:27 pm

I would say yes! Not a need such as food and oxygen perhaps, but if at all possible I think every kid should have a yard. I spent all my time in the yard (and roaming the neighbourhood back in those good old days growing up in the 70s). I had monkey bars, swings, trees to climb, grape vines, blackberry bushes, a playhouse, etc. Can't imagine not having had a yard. Luckily my daughter got to spend a lot of time playing at mom and dads in that same huge yard when she was growing up.
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 pm

I have to say I could take or leave my house. It's pretty meh, but we have 2+ acres of yard and after living here for 3 years I could NEVER go anywhere that didn't have a huge backyard. Our yard is amazing for our kids. They literally spend hours out there. In the summer it's not unusual for them to be outside from about 10 until they get called in to go to bed. They have room to run, play, and use their imaginations.

I have no idea how people that live in the houses that have an 8 foot backyard. We could never do it. I know there are usually parks and stuff in those areas, but just being able to open my door and have the kids right outside in a huge yard beats having to walk down to the park.

I see those commercials talking about how kids need 60 minutes of exercise a day. My kids have no problem at all getting that because of our yard.

A large yard is now a must for us for sure.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby T on Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm

I don't think it's necessary. I think it's all in your mindset and how you look at things and how you live. We're raising ds in an apt so no yard per se for him and I think he's doing fine.

Mind you we do have a large grass area that is 1/4 mile long that runs the length of our building and ds regularly goes out there to run and kick balls. He checks out other peoples gardens (vegie and plants), there are stairs that he runs up and down that lead to the deck going up to the pool that he runs up and down. There is a huge bush that he plays hide and seek with us. There are fountains, bird baths, bird feeders, lots of neighbours who know him and go onto their decks to talk to him when they see him. And we have lots of time freed up that we don't have to spend on yard work (that neither dh or I like to do) that we can be spending doing other things which suits us better. And we go to lots of parks so he can play on swings, slides and things that he can climb.
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 pm

My kids live in ours during spring/summer/early fall. They get tons more outside time than they would without it because they can play while we houseclean or cook and they can play for 7+ hours a day in the summer.

We go to parks but they prefer the yard. They love the trampoline and basketball hoops/outside games by themselves.

I personally would not have a yard without kids. Not too fond of the mowing/weeding but it was essential for us once we had them, even when we rented.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby onceinvic on Tue May 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I think, as with anything, it depends on the kid. My crew are outside all the time, in all weather; they complain that this house has a smaller yard than our last house (bigger lot, but also bigger house, so slightly less yard).

My niece and nephew, however, have zero interest in playing outside. They are also only children, so maybe it is because neither of them have anyone to play with in a yard?

Kids are individuals. There is no one size fits all.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby debbiel on Wed May 22, 2013 4:47 am

When I was growing up it didn't matter whether a kid "wanted" to go play outside or not. Our parents wouldn't allow us to hang around in the house all day. I see so many unhealthy kids these days that could stand to be outside getting exercise. It makes me sad. I was the youngest (by far) of 5 kids, so pretty much the same as an only child since the others were so much older they weren't about to play with me in the yard. I still found ways to entertain myself those times when I didn't have friends over to play with outside.
debbiel
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby cyanea on Wed May 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I think all of the responses recognize that children benefit from exposure to nature as well as the inherent gift of unstructured time that stimulates curiosity, engages the senses, and encourages the growth of imagination...all of which can can occur in a private backyard, local park or neighborhood beach . Having lived in both apartment and single family dwelling settings, I think it's easier to access such opportunities when there is access to a private backyard, however, I believe that common green spaces potentially provide some additional value in terms of their facilitation of community engagement and shared experiences. There seem to be some streets and neighborhoods that have an abundance of both and I always enjoy hearing people's stories from their day to day-ing in these communities.
cyanea
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café Island Parent