KIV Community

Educational funding for ADHD

An inclusive forum for all special families and their supporters. Come and share your resources, information, and experiences. Make valuable new connections and provide support to others.

Moderators: Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Educational funding for ADHD

Postby islandfamily on Tue May 28, 2013 11:01 am

Im in the process of getting my son tested for educational assessment. Im checking out private schools and have realized how much my son will benefit from it.....but I cant afford the tuition. As a single mom, low income too I find it hard enough just to make rent. Does anyone know where I can look or call to get finanical help??
Thanks
islandfamily
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Educational funding for ADHD

Postby Benjorsam on Tue May 28, 2013 11:15 am

I don't know if there is financial help per say. My dd was diagnosed 10 years ago and I've never heard of any kind of funding. However, depending on the severity of the disability, you can apply for the child disability tax benefit which is money that gets added on to your CTB every month. There is a lot of paperwork involved with that and your doctor will have to fill a lot of it out. You could also contact the Learning Disabilites association and get information from them. You could try contacting the school you are interested in to see if they have any scholorships or bursaries available as well. But of course this is all dependent on the outcome of the assessment on your ds. When you say you are in the process of having him tested, what does that mean? There is a very long wait (3 years in our case) to get an educational assessment done if its not being paid for by you. The entire process is painfully slow. My dd was just diagnosed officially yesterday with Asperger's and she is almost 14 so we've been "in the system" almost that long and we are still fighting to get her the help she needs.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby islandfamily on Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 pm

I paid for his testing myself as we cant wait the two years. Thanks for the ideas Benjorsam
islandfamily
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby organic momma on Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 pm

It all depends on what the assessment says. You can then use it to go to your doctor to apply for a tax credit or the school could possibly use it to apply for an EA but all depends on the outcome of it.
"It's not due to laziness that someone is poor, it's not due to a lack of ambition or lack of intelligence its because they lack things that we take advantage everyday" Living on one dollar a day
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Ivy-Girl on Tue May 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Good for you OP to have decided to have him tested on your own!

We had our son tested recently and he was diagnosed with ADHD and a learning disability. He wasn't severe enough to trigger the school system to send him for testing. He was one of the kids who struggled and worked hard and was always "approaching expectations" but not flat out failing. He was keeping his head above water (barely) so we decided to have him tested on our own.

We got the ball rolling and paid for it ourself and from referral to the pediatrician to dignosis after the psycho-educational testing it was 9 months.

Best thing we ever did. He's doing SOOOOO well now with a bit of assistance. Mommy guilt is kicking in and I wish we'd done it a couple years ago.

I'm not aware of any funding and it's never come up other than the disability tax credit that the psychologist filled out the form for, as I was hoping to claim the cost of tutoring for him on our taxes...I just haven't gotten to it yet or looked into it beyond having the form filled out.
Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby organic momma on Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Ivy girl,
Depending on the outcome the school can use it to apply for some EA funding. You can also retro actively use it on taxes.
"It's not due to laziness that someone is poor, it's not due to a lack of ambition or lack of intelligence its because they lack things that we take advantage everyday" Living on one dollar a day
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm

There is NO funding for ADHD as far as schools or the government is concerned. For Child Disability it has to be severe in that they are challenged physically in 2 or more ways (eg feeding and walking, etc)

My DD has ADHD and actually does OK so far. My DS doesn't but he has a learning disability.

However, ask the school for learning resource? We did and my DS is doing so much better with the extra help.

There is support for "grey area" kids as they call them. They are the kids with challenges that don't fit into the funding formula. The schools accommodate them.

Also can you work with him or her at home?

We buy the Jumpstart Math programs (7$ per book) and work in the evenings and summer. It is a self paced and we do it before the next year so they have a head start.

We also do tons of reading. Scholastic and library has good selections of books. My children are French though so it is a different program for them.

For those who have done the Ed Assessment, how much is it? My DS is only in Grade 1 so they won't test him for 2 years and we don't want to wait for him to fall 2 years behind before getting help. For ADHD it was done through our Pediatrician for DD but they don't do LD.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Tamji on Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 pm

You CAN receive retro benefit pay for the disability tax credit all the way back to when the condition was first noted - NOT by diagnosis date. We went thru the National Benefit Authority to claim income tax credits and the baby bonus for disability - we were able to claim back to when our daughter was 2yrs old, even though she wasn't diagnosed til she was in grade 2.
I'd rather be hated for who I am
Than loved for who I am not.
Tamji
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby organic momma on Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 am

TazDevil your information is not correct. You do not need two physical issues.
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby organic momma on Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 am

Really rubs me the wrong way that such misinformation is out there :-(

It is not easy to get funding but the school will walk you through it :D
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Thu May 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Special Families, Special Friends