KIV Community

Sooke?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Sooke?

Postby Silverdollar on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Currently renting in the downtown/quadra area and looking at moving to Sooke, no specific reason other than traffic in town is crazy and I'm craving "calm". Anything that you hate about Sooke, or areas to avoid? Wbat's great about the town, how are the schools elementary to high school since we have kids in between. Kids hockey team, swim lessons, rec center. We really don't know much about Sooke so anything is helpful. Thank You :)
Silverdollar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Sooke?

Postby brymommy on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:10 pm

We loved Sooke and only moved away because of jobs! We still own a house there and come back to visit family :)

It is quiet and near the ocean. We never minded the drive too much but our jobs were in Sooke for the most part. I did have to drive a lot for work to Saanich when we first moved there but it wasn't bad.

We loved our kids elementary school and have heard good things about middle and high. DH grew up there for the most part and loved it.

The road really isn't that bad but make sure you drive it many times at all different times and days to make sure. There's lots of walking trails and beaches and hidden nature.

I really only went to town once a week for. Bigger shop but the rest we did in town and it has a decent selection of what one would need.

The rec center is good but we only did swimming lessons there and a few skating lessons someone else would be able to chime in on more :)

My favorite place to eat in Sooke (now that a few things have closed) is the little take out window by the slo pitch/soccer fields. It's almost completely GF as well and the woman and cooks who work there are so good about GF!

If you or your husband like ball the slo pitch league is awesome! We love(d) nothing more than Sooke on the August long weekend :) the sun is out, ball tourney is on and the beaches are great!
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ILoveYouZTANDK on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Sooke is a nice place to live.. I have family who live there. :shock:
ILoveYouZTANDK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:27 pm

We moved to Sooke in 2011 and we absolutly love it. We live in Sunriver which is a subdivision of mostly single family homes and there are lots of kids and families here which is what really appealed to me. Its also the kind of neighborhood where kids of all ages play together and my kids will literally spend all day outside in the summer. We have all kinds of activities here from swimming to soccer to hockey to Scouts to dance. Food is more expensive here but we hardly ever shop in Sooke. Langford is only a 20 minutes drive and honestly the drive is fine. I'd much rather drive the road to Sooke than the Malahat any day and after you've driven it a few time, you get used to it. I have one kid in elemementary school, one in middle school and one in high school and I have nothing but great things to say about all three schools. The high school is amazing. The programs they offer both academically and athleically are awesome. And their support teachers are so good. My dd has autism but she has had no trouble fitting right in to her first year there. The hiking trails out here are some of the best around. Within 15 minutes drive in either direction you can be on some amazing trails. We spend almost every weekend hiking somewhere and its nice not to have to drive a long way to get there.

The only downside you may find is that the commute can be quite tedious at times. It takes an hour without traffict to get to downtown Victoria. My dh takes the bus at 5:45 am so he can be in Esquimalt by 7:00 am and if he misses a bus coming home, he sometimes has to wait an hour for the next one. Also you can see a slight difference in the weather here compared to Victoria. In the summer we can be several degrees cooler although where we are in Sunriver, because we are away from the water, it gets very warm and we are almost always above the fog which is common. The closer you are to the water, the cooler it gets. On the other hand, in the winter we can actually be warmer than Victoria and oftentimes when its raining or snowing in Langford, its not here.

Dh has about 2 years, give or take, left in the military and we have been trying to decide if we want to move when he gets out. But if he can get a job here in Sooke or Victoria, we will happily stay in Sooke. I never in a million years saw myself living in Sooke but we love it so much. You get that small town atmosphere but you are less than 30 mintues from all the amenities. And you can't beat the nature here. At night its so quiet you literally hear frogs and crickets in the spring and summer.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 pm

I don't live in Sooke, but we go to SeaParc (the rec centre) all the time. We actually prefer it to Juan de Fuca. We have done lots of swimming and skating lessons there. The pool is a bit small but when we've been it hasn't been busy which is nice. We will be putting the kids in hockey there next year as well. I have heard nothing but good things about their hockey program.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Momsquared on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:11 pm

We moved here in Sept and love it.

I was raised in town and Sooke was always so far. Its really not 25 mins to Westshore mall and Costco.

People really don't know what they are missing by thinking it is so far.

We have the boardwalk the schools are awesome they people are great.
Momsquared
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby JaynaF on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:16 pm

We moved here in march because of the affordability and small town feel. although its growing... :) we really love the school our kids go to, and the rec center is great too. my hubby commutes into town everyday but goes early enough he misses the traffic. the busses goes straight into town. I work now out here in sooke and really love it out here :) when i have to go into town i cannot stand the traffic and noise. LOL
JaynaF
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Jinxx on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 am

I love Sooke, we dont live there, however have lots of friends in Sunriver Estates. If we were to buy again we would do it out there. We currently live in town and love it but want a bigger house and beaches which Sooke has.

I would prob not work and hubby would have to change hours. I think with both of us working downtown/Esquimalt the commute is too much for us now, especially with small kids. We will review in a few years though.
Its so pretty there!!
Jinxx
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Silverdollar on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Love all the positive feedback, thank you
Silverdollar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent