KIV Community

Acne-what has worked for you?

Chat about everything to do with your health, fitness and wellness. Diet & Nutrition, health questions, exercise ideas...

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Acne-what has worked for you?

Postby elliemay on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:33 am

DD has mild/mod acne. I too had this when I was younger and took tetracycline and birth control pill, and prescription topicals over the years. My skin is fine now but I really feel for her. Currently she uses Proactive and was having good results until the last few weeks. What are some of the newer options that people have tried and had success.
elliemay
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Acne-what has worked for you?

Postby OnceHarmony on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am

Products with Salicylic acid in them worked the best for me. I would put it on before bed and in the morning the pimple would usually be very diminished and sometimes almost gone.

Age also worked for me. :lol: Now I don't have acne but dry skin and wrinkles so there is always some issue with skin happening no matter the age. :lol:
We don't buy things with money. We buy them with hours of our lives - tinybuddha.com
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby five-seven-five on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Glycolic acid in my cleanser/toner routine. Salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and the other ones never worked for me. I think it's related to skin type. The glycolic acid kept and keeps even my cystic acne away.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 pm

I had terrible, terrible acne as a teen. I tried all kinds of cleansers and products. Most of them either irritated my skin or dried it out so bad it started flaking. The thing that worked the best for me was a product called Spectro Jel. You can buy it in the pharmacy section at most stores. It helped clear up my skin, didn't dry it out, and didn't burn. It's what got me through my late teens into my early 20s when my skin finally cleared up.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby T on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 pm

As weird as it sounded at the time, using a good moisturizer made the world of difference to my skin. Even now in my 40s if I run out and don't have a chance to make it to Sephora to get the one that I am loving right now and just use whatever I have on hand (for some reason I always seem to have some sample stuff around) within a few days I still start to break out.

I think as a teen, I was using Clinique stuff-the bar for cleansing and the moisturizer that comes in the square bottle (but they will help you figure out what's right for your skin and if you're not happy within 30 days, keep your receipt and they'll refund your money-at least the Clinque counter at Sears will).
T
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby elliemay on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:08 pm

five-seven-five wrote:Glycolic acid in my cleanser/toner routine. Salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and the other ones never worked for me. I think it's related to skin type. The glycolic acid kept and keeps even my cystic acne away.

Which Glycolic acid products do you use Neo Strata? This might be good option to explore.
elliemay
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby five-seven-five on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:16 pm

The NeoStrata Clarifying Gel Cleanser and the Toning Solution Level 1 (8%) once a day (before bed). For moisture I'm currently using a plain night cream.

In the morning, I either splash with water or use the cleanser and a light day cream. Also, I try and avoid sunscreen on my face because I find it can be a trigger.

The NeoStrata Level one and cleanser are sometimes on sale at London Drugs in a pack. It's a pretty good deal when it happens.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby elliemay on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:55 pm

I will look into the Neo Strata. We tried the Clinique Acne system and like the Proactiv had good results then the breakouts start after a year or so. I feel bad as I went through this myself, I was hoping to avoid the prescription stuff as they tend to have more side effects, at least the stuff I used. I had really good results with tetracycline but I don't think they use it anymore and you have to be so careful with the sun when you are taking it not to mention that it is long term antibiotic therapy. I had pretty bad cystic acne, especially on my back and forehead in my late teens and early twenties. DD has this mainly on her cheeks and it is really upsetting her, she keeps her hair off her face and is good about washing her face, so glad I am not a teenager any longer!
elliemay
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby five-seven-five on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:37 pm

I hope she has some success with it. It's hard on the ego to have acne generally, but especially at that age.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Fierce on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm

Taking Evening Primrose Oil did wonders for my hormonal cystic acne. It was on my cheeks and chin/jawline. Three pills a day. Made more of a difference than any cleanser/cream ever has.
Fierce
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby angela dawn on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:58 pm

I second the spectro line as it doesnt dry out the skin. I also just discovered the benefits of using a mixture of tea tree oil as a toner/solution for after I wash my face. You have to use 100% tea tree oil and mix it 1 part ( tea tree oil) to 5 parts water, I keep mine in a little jar. Tea tree oil kills bacteria, which is what causes acne, so it works well. I had bad acne as a late teen/young adult, wish I knew about the tea tree oil solution.

Be advised though, do not use the tree tree oil directly on your skin without diluting it as it will burn. Best of luck and perhaps research it further or ask your doctor about using tea tree oil.

Ang
angela dawn
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CharleneK on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am

LUSH carries a tea tree toner that I used before I moisturize, and I now have DD using it twice a day just as a preventative measure(since I have noticed small bumps on her nose starting at 11 already).
I too had bad acne as a teen, as well as DH, so I am quite concerned DD will have it bad as well :(
Do you need a special gift for someone special?
I can custom design & fabricate just about anything!
Go to: http://www.ck-glassworks.com
CharleneK
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Nickal on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:08 pm

I have used Arbonne for 2 yrs and so do my kids, 19 and 13. Here is a small cut and paste
Arbonne personal care products are formulated WITHOUT:
• Animal products or animal by-products
• Parabens
• Formaldehyde-donating preservatives
• PABA
• Synthetic dyes
• Triclosan
• Hydroquinone
• Gluten
• These petroleum-based ingredients: benzene, mineral oil, petrolatum or petroleum jelly, phthalates, and toluene

Here is a link, check it out for yourself: https://www.arbonne.ca/products/index.asp

If you have questions just ask as they have a few different facial lines.
http://www.nikkialvarez.myarbonne.ca

https://www.facebook.com/Arbonne.Nikki

nikkiarbonne1@gmail.com

Pure. Safe. Beneficial.
Vegan certified & Gluten Free

order on-line directly MY ID #116310356
Nickal
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby it's only me on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:56 am

I use and love Body Shop Tea Tree oil line

http://www.thebodyshop.ca/en/shop-by-li ... -tree.aspx
it's only me
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby elliemay on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:09 pm

After trying various things, we finally went to the doctor. The doctor prescribed Stievamycin mild. Unfortunately there wasn't any in stock but a compound pharmacy was able to make it for her. Wow after 2 months the difference is amazing. It even seems to be fading the discolouration from her breakouts. DD is happy because she says it has simplified her skin routine and it works. The only thing she has to be careful about is sun sensitivity, but she is being really careful with wearing a hat and foundation with sunscreen.
elliemay
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Health, Wellness & Fitness