KIV Community

Disneyland in July or January?

Moderators: Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Disneyland in July or January?

Postby Silverdollar on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:53 am

Which month is better? Middle of July? Or January?

Also, ramada main gate a good hotel? Close to the park?
Silverdollar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Disneyland in July or January?

Postby Aladora on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 am

Define "better".

January has lower crowds, colder weather and a much higher chance of rides being down for refurb.

July has much higher crowds, hot weather and a high chance of rides being up.

Ramada Maingate is a 10 minute walk from the gate (10 minutes, not fast walking speed) but I'm not sure how good the hotel is.
Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Victoria Family Meals on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:09 am

We have been to DL both in January and August....August was insanely busy. January was busy some days but not to bad...The longest wait time was 60 minutes for a ride and many were 30 minutes or less. We had great weather in January.

http://nicolehietamaa.myepicure.com/
http://www.facebook.com/NicoleHietamaaEpicure
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicoles-Steeped-Tea
http://www.mysteepedtea.com/NICOLEHIETAMAA
Victoria Family Meals
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 pm

I would without question go in January over mid July. January/February is actually our favorite time to go as it is cooler and the crowds are typically a lot lower. There will be a few rides that are closed in January though. The last couple of years there were a few big rides down at that time of year which was pretty disappointing, usually it's only 1-2 of the big rides and then some less popular ones. Last time we were there there were 13 rides down between the 2 parks :-( In July almost everything will be running.

The summer months are typically very busy and blazing hot. I haven't been in mid July but have been a couple of times in August and it was well over 100 degrees. In January it will usually be a comfortable temperature, although it can rain then and be cool enough to need a jacket, especially in the evenings.

Ramada Main Gate is definitely within walking distance. I have never stayed there, but I have seen other KIVers post that it's a good place to stay.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby happygirl on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Another thing to consider is entertainment offerings and park hours. In July, the parks open early and close late, which affords you time to go back to the hotel mid-day and have a swim/rest/break from the heat. But today for example they are only open 10am - 8pm. It depends on how old the kids are and how long they can last!

July will also have more entertainment on a daily basis. January will likely only offer some of the bigger shows (ie: Fantasmic) and the fireworks on weekends only.

Both have their pros and cons. I actually don't mind going in the summer, I like the heat! And sure it can be busy but if you plan and use Fast Passes it is certainly manageable.

Either way, it's Disneyland and you will have a magical time at any time of year :)
happygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby starstruck on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:12 pm

We loved our July trip. Park hours were long, so we went at opening and hit all the busy rides in the morning before the crowds got crazy. We spent the afternoons to wonder and take in the entertainment. We also headed back to the hotel to enjoy the sun and heat by the pool! We would return in the evening and the temperature was lovely.
starstruck
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shawna C. on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:50 am

We went in October and it was between 38 and 42 degrees Celcius - yes, a heat wave, but still. And there was their Memorial Weekend in there - so busy. I can't imagine July - it would be so hot and so crazy..NEVER! I'd take January anytime!
“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Silverdollar on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 pm

What hotels did everyone stay at?

The only musts are continental breakfast and close to park...

Ramada maingate? Howard Johnson (one with kids pools)

Help!
Silverdollar
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 am

ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby happygirl on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 am

We've stayed at both the Howard Johnson and Best Western Stovall's Inn. Hojo did not have a continental breakfast but the property is nice especially if you have small children and time to enjoy the waterpark. The walk is okay, 10 minutes maybe? I do recall one time where the kids were so tired that we opted to wait for the shuttle.

BW Stovall's is near the Paradise Pier Hotel. We cut through the Grand Californian to get the Downtown Disney and the main gates. Takes 10-12 minutes and it's a much nicer walk than Hojo. Decent breakfast offerings. Rooms are clean. Rates are reasonable. The pools are okay, but more often than not we don't use them anymore.
happygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby starstruck on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:20 am

I really enjoyed our stay at the candy cane inn. The rooms are set back from the road, so quiet and very clean. The breakfast was pretty mediocre (donuts and fruitloops, etc) but it was handy to have the option. We walked to the park x2 a day and only took their free shuttle when we were really tired. I just booked a package vacation and will be staying at the Howard Johnson next time--I hope it's OK! otherwise I would stay at CC again.
starstruck
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Family Travel