KIV Community

help with sea sickness

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

help with sea sickness

Postby chickadee4 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 am

What works best to stop or prevent sea sickness? We have tried the pressure point bracelets, ginger chews, Gravol, but need something stronger. Are there different recommendations for young children versus adults? I checked the cruise line's recommendations - they suggest Dramamine and Bomine. I am not familiar with either.

Thanks for your help!
chickadee4
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: help with sea sickness

Postby Vaccin8tor on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:33 am

Bonine works like a dream - but is not available in Canada (atleast I have never found it). It has to be *actual* Bonine - not something else with the same ingredient (meclizine). Bonine does not make you sleepy - but all the others (with the same ingredient) can make you sleepy. I don't get it either. We stock up when we are in the USA.

The first cruise I went on as a young teenager, my mother had us all wear one of those patches behind our ears - we put them on the night before we were to fly... we were all fine, except my mother who got up in the middle of the night to go pee and could not walk without falling down.

I know you say you have tried them, but the Sea Bands seem to work for one of our children that suffers from slight motion sickness when on a plane or on a long car-ride.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby pasoob on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 am

Ginger (like ginger ale) is a well known natural remedy for motion sickness. Peppermint also may have calming effects on the stomach.
pasoob
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby newmom2006 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:14 am

My mother-in-law used this patch behind the ear to help with motion sickness when she was sick (and she also suffers from vertigo)

http://www.transdermscop.com/

It says it shouldn't be used by people under 18 though.

I suffer from motion sickness and avoid being on the boat if I can, but when I do have to go out, I use gravol (taking 1/2 tablet at a time to keep my stomach settled), lots of ginger ale or ginger products. I've also used the wrist bands and I'm still skeptical if they actually work or it was the drugs :D

I also keep lots of mints on hand or else preserves (chinese dried prunes and such. They're salty/sour and I find that definitely helps)
newmom2006
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:11 pm

When I was a kid limiting dairy supposedly helped.... I don't remember that...just remember always being motion sick lol

For my kids a ton of sleep helps...not something that is that easy I supposed. If my kids are tired, even the one who doesn't usually get car sick will get sick.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby chickadee4 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 am

Great advice! Thank you!
chickadee4
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent