KIV Community

Raccoon Poop!

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Raccoon Poop!

Postby MommyToOne on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a Victoria company who can safely remove raccoon poop from a yard? There is a lot, 2 specific latrines and several other spots.
MommyToOne
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Raccoon Poop!

Postby maxell on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Yuck, I had no idea what a raccoon latrine was so had to look it up.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservice ... trine.aspx
maxell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby MommyToOne on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Yup. Pretty gross. And fairly scary with kids around. I'm hoping someone here has dealt with this issue before and can help me figure out the best way to clean up. I really don't want to do it myself!
MommyToOne
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby StitchedUp on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 am

Try Victoria Pest Control.

We had a problem with some young raccoons trying to establish a latrine on our back steps of all places. I was able to deal with it myself. I made a spray out of hot pepper, garlic, onions boiled together (I found the recipe on-line) and sprayed the entire area generously for several days. It did the trick.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby cor on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:57 pm

I used to design and install back yard ponds for a living. Raccoons are a big problem as they can rip apart the pond and eat the fish. I always told people to sprinkle human hair around the pond. Almost all said it worked, no more raccoons. Not the nicest but hey....
cor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ada on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 am

please be very careful with raccoon latrines as raccoons are carriers of a very dangerous parasite called raccoon roundworm. It is deadly! My daughter got it and for 6 months we had her tested to find out what was wrong. Luckily it only lodged itself in her eye causing blindness in one eye, however it can get stuck into any organ and cause irrepairable damage or death. Unfortunately there is no test here in Canada nor treatment. My daughter was finally diagnosed and treated after her bloodwork was sent to the American Center for Disease Control. The medication had to be ordered through the US and special consent to bring it to Canada via Children's Hospital in Vancouver.

If you want to rid the latrine, wear a mask! Bag it and burn it. Freezing temperatures, rain, sun, wind etc won't get rid of it. Neither does pesticides, insecticides, or bleach. Here's some information:

http://www.bccdc.ca/dis-cond/a-z/_r/Rac ... ndworm.htm
ada
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby ItsKim on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:20 pm

ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby MommyToOne on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:15 pm

I had PSI come and give me an estimate to clean it up. They have the proper gear, and take it away to dispose of. $100.

Next I'll try the hot sauce concoction to keep them away!

Thanks!
MommyToOne
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent