KIV Community

Any more info on the 40$ a day?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Any more info on the 40$ a day?

Postby TazDevil on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:12 pm

For those parents who forked out hundreds to pay for 3 weeks of childcare I haven't heard anything official about receiving the money. I registered for my kids and it was confirmed on the page but I never received any email confirmation or detail about when people will see the money?

Did anyone else get emails or any confirmation?
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Any more info on the 40$ a day?

Postby Benjorsam on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:23 pm

Nothing here but didn't expect anything. Its supposed to come the month after the strike ends so I assume we'll start seeing it October. Does anyone know if they count today or was yesterday the last day since the strike is now officially over?

ETA: I just found this on the government website:

Payment:

4. How much will parents receive?

The temporary education support payment of $40 a day will be paid from Sept. 2, 2014 to Sept. 18, 2014 – the day teachers ratified the agreement.

Parents are eligible for payments covering 13 days, meaning a total of $520 for each eligible child. A family with two eligible students will receive $1,040.

5. When will I receive my payment?

We expect most payments will be sent out by the end of October.
Additional time will be required in order to confirm with school districts the enrollment of students attending kindergarten and students who are new to BC public schools.

6. How will I receive the payment?

A cheque will be issued and mailed to the address on the registration form.

http://bcparentinfo.ca/parent-support-resources/

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby BC Registered Music Teachers on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 am

I still think it should have applied to every student in the province. Their age cutoff just doesn't make sense because:
1. Someone whose child is turning 13 in December for example will get the money but a Spring birthday the same year meant an already 13 year old did not, yet they are both in the same grade and the younger one may be more ready and responsible to stay home alone than the older child.

2. Parents with high school kids faced a lot more tutoring costs because on semesters the curriculum moves along quickly and so there was far more pressure on parents of older kids to hire tutors than there would be for elementary school children.

I personally did hire tutors and am really annoyed that my taxes didn't get returned for my older kids. If I thought anyone in the government was actually listening I'd write to them about it.

To answer the question I saw on the news last night that the cheques will be out in October according to the education minister.
BC Registered Music Teachers
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 am

the point of the age cut off was for daycare. Most daycares/daycamps cut off age at 13 and most 13 year olds can be left at home. Obviously not all but most. The aim of the $40 was to cover daycare costs for people with younger children not to provide money for tutoring. I would have liked it to have been all school aged children too as I can always use the money but I also figure it will just be taxed away anyway.
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:10 am

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby brymommy on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:23 am

While I think it should have been for all ages too... Then it would have been $20 a day (or whatever but not $40) and at the end of the day regardless of tutoring or daycare or whatever they were using it as a vote grab for those that most likely *had* to pay daycare and are most likely to go through another labour dispute in the future. And not all the parents who are getting it technically "need" it either. Just like some who need it aren't getting it. But to set up a larger screening process in such a short amount of time, for a short amount of time, would have been a massive headache.

And while there was some talk about it being taxable before the info came out, it states on the website that it is NOT taxable.
brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby NatB on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 am

I think it's funny that they decided not to pay for Friday under the guise that the teachers voted on Thursday to accept the deal.

The kids still weren't in school Friday, because of the strike, so the day *should* qualify, IMO, but anyhow, let's nickel and dime us to death. I guess we should be glad they paid anything.

All that said, it should have been means tested based on family income. A better use of resources.
NatB
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby BC Registered Music Teachers on Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Yes it was definitely announced as money that could go towards educational costs and there's a big cost in keeping a 15 year old engaged in science for $50 per session. I chose to hire tutors because I know how quickly the work moves along in a semester and how 3 months out of school is just too much time to not be in school with a teacher. I don't think school should be viewed as daycare - we work two jobs but never treated our years in elementary as the governments responsibility to fund as babysitting. We still managed 1/2 day kindergarten for all our kids, paid our own costs for out of school care and now our kids are too old to receive tutoring and textbook costs when in actual fact they are costing far more now than they ever did when they were little. Now my rant is over but I stand by the fact the age cutoff made no sense - either give it to every student or give it to none.
BC Registered Music Teachers
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:21 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 pm

I know they said it could be used for anything but almost all I day camps I looked into before the announcement were $36-40/ day and I truly believe it was to buy the votes of people who would have been out the cost of daycare on kids under 12. I agree it was cheesy not to include the Friday.
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 am

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 am

midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Yen on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:59 pm

anyone know of any updates??

Yen
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shawna C. on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm

“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Next

Return to Café Island Parent