KIV Community

Municipal & School District Elections

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Municipal & School District Elections

Postby JordanWatters on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:00 am

Municipal Elections are taking place this year on November 15th. In addition to voting for Mayor and Council, voters are also charged with electing School Trustees.

Greater Victoria School District 61 is responsible for a $200 million annual budget, 44 schools, 20,000 students, and over 2,000 staff members. Despite the the important role the School District plays in our communities, less than 10% of voters cast votes for School Trustees. We are hoping to change that!

Please investigate all the candidates and make an informed choice about the direction you want your community to take.

Sincerely,
Jordan Watters
http://www.jordanwatters.com

(ps. admin, if this isn't allowed, please let me know. i'm not trying to campaign here so much as raise awareness, although I recognize it is a fine line)
May the work we do make the world we live in a little more worthy of our children. ~ Tom Hunter
JordanWatters
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Municipal & School District Elections

Postby Peter on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for posting this Jordan.

For people who want to know how trustees have voted since the last election current trustee, Diane McNally, has posted all the motions brought to the board table, who brought them and what happened with them. The content of the motions brought forward is as important to look at as who didn't bring these motions forward and if they failed or passed.

In the first half of the term votes were not recorded but they were in the second half and documented in the post for you to see.

Many parents have become more aware of what's going on during this last strike. Previously the newer trustees were accused by some of being teacher friendly. When you read through these motions and voting records now I hope you'll see the pattern, these newer trustees are taking public stands for students, public education, transparency and democracy. I want that in an elected trustee.

http://lined-paper.com/2013/09/09/1615/

The current majority on SD61 Board of Education is working hard to stop parents and the public from recording meetings, despite the public and newer trustees efforts to implement public question periods in board meetings, they are trying to limit and control this. (See page 5 of the blog post about the limitations on the public question periods they proposed and the outcomes of these). Trustees need to be accountable to the public for their decisions and the outcomes of those decisions. They need to explain to the public why those decisions are being made, what process is in place to track successes and failures, how that information will be reported to the public and what mechanisms are in place for evaluation of decisions. It's the public's right to know these answers and the current majority on this board votes in opposition to this.

Boards have been stripped of their power by government. We need empowered trustees who will fight back against a government who strips contracts, ignores supreme courts and basic democracy at the expense of our children.
Peter
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby KIV admin on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm

It's best if you don't mention you are running or in any way look like you are trying to garner support. You can mention the election, just not that you are running. I've edited that bit out of your post.
KIV admin
KIV Advertiser
KIV Advertiser
KIV Staff
KIV Staff

Postby JordanWatters on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Thank you for clarification :D
May the work we do make the world we live in a little more worthy of our children. ~ Tom Hunter
JordanWatters
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Good Luck Jordan.

It is probably the hardest board to crack if you are not one of the pre selected. I have known a few who have not been lucky to do so.

I wish you the best.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent