KIV Community

Question for Geo-cachers

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Question for Geo-cachers

Postby Shawna C. on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:35 am

We'd like to start doing this and I am thinking of getting a hand-held GPS for my husband for Christmas..Is this a good one?

http://www.costco.ca/Garmin%C2%AE-GPSMA ... 40722.html
“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Question for Geo-cachers

Postby Aladora on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:38 am

To be honest, we used to use a hand held GPS but now only use our iPhones to geocache. We paid for the full version of the app and it works really well.
Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Shawna C. on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:34 am

“The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.”
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby sah on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:19 am

Which app do you use?
sah
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Aladora on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:47 am

I use the official Geocaching app and I never really worry about data usage. The only time we have ever gone over our data limit was when DH was in the hospital for a few days and watched netflix on his phone for hours on end! :eek:

is a link to the page where you can download the apps.
Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby edcuator on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:32 pm

We use both a Garmon Oregon 450 and 650. There are advantages to both.

I find that a major problem with using my iPhone is that so often we are outside of reception areas. It restricts where we able able to cache.
edcuator
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shawna C. on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby edcuator on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:03 pm

I checked with my husband and we don't know anyone who is using that GPS.
edcuator
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby octobermommy on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:27 am

We love to geocache. We mostly do it when we are visiting relatives out of town or day tripping somewhere. Like Aladora, we only use our smartphone. Reception can be a problem if searching in remote areas. Don't have a problem with data but find it drains the battery VERY quickly. If I leave the house with a full charge it'll drain within a couple hours geocaching. One advantage is that we can reference the app for hints and even pics if need be. I find the caches in wooded areas can be really difficult to find! I would think using a hand held GPS would make it a little more challenging. Whichever you choose, it's fun!
octobermommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby edcuator on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 pm

We have used the smartphone to check the website maybe 10 times for the almost 2000 caches we have found but usually the GPS has all of the information we need. I find the accuracy of the GPS makes geocaching easier. Most times it will take us right to the cache or within a few metres.
edcuator
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby WildJon on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm

I have a Garmin eTrex20 and I like it. Garmin seems to do a pretty good job. Two things I really like about the one you have listed: waterproof and not a touch screen. I find we're often digging around and getting a dirty trying to find some of the caches, so having a waterproof GPS is nice. Someone else mentioned to me the newer touch screen GPS units often get dirty or scratched again because you often get dirty while you're caching. And $110 off - who doesn't like that!!
WildJon
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby tracey6369 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I use my smartphone with the geocaching app. I've been caching for 3 years this way and the biggest drawback to using my phone is that it's a drain on the battery. I bought an extra battery for longer trips but sometimes still isn't enough. Longer trips require a GPS. Pocket Queries are best for places outside reception area and using the offline queries, it's less of a drain on the battery. The app sometimes shows things the gps does not. :P

My caching buddy has a GPS and I'm so glad she does because my phone GPS seems to have a bad habit of putting me somewhere else which makes it more challenging to find them. It usually eventually does but not always. :-k

Happy Caching. ;-)

***geocaching name = neltra :P
tracey6369
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Shawna C. on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks for all the great advice!
Shawna C.
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent