KIV Community

Need advice- Teenage son wants to syke someone he doesn't kn

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Need advice- Teenage son wants to syke someone he doesn't kn

Postby owensmum on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:56 pm

I am needing some suggestions/advice.

My teenage son who is 13 wants to start chatting with this "friend" from Minecraft using Skype, though states he doesn't want to do video chatting.

I asked him what he knows about this "friend"- nothing really other than he likes Minecraft and that he is to be 14 years, but he doesn't know for sure as he has never seen a picture of him. Maybe this person is just a teenager with similar interests but maybe not. You hear about creeps targeting kids so......

I am really hesitant to allow this but my husband says that if we don't allow him under supervised sessions that he will eventually just do it.

My husband feels we should say yes, but to supervise the conversation and if we feel the conversations are inappropriate then we can put an end to it.

We have talked to our son about safety, and not disclosing personal information and he says " I know Mom, I am not stupid"

Thoughts from anyone who has been through this. My son is really bugging me about this, and I have told him I don't know as I had to think about it.
owensmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Need advice- Teenage son wants to syke someone he doesn'

Postby OnceHarmony on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:48 am

There is a very good article by Allison Rees in the new Island Parent Teens magazine called Let Them Talk on page 6 that speaks to this type of issue.
And I agree with your husband.
It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to - J.R.R. Tolkien
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 am

I think I agree with your husband as well. Plus, if you let him do it supervised you will at least be able to gauge if anything seems off.

The one thing I don't like about Skype is that it typically uses your real first/last names, so if it were me I would probably make a Skype account that doesn't use those so he at least has some anonymity.

I'm a gamer and use Skype often to chat with people I play with regularly. It's a very common thing in gaming now. There are definitely some creeps out there, but there are also a lot of "normal" people too. It sounds like you have educated him about internet safety, so let him put that to use and monitor him while he's on there. You can always pull the plug if he doesn't follow the rules. I think when kids have to start sneaking around to do it is where it can get pretty scary.
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:59 pm

I really dislike the idea and my ds who is 12 would not be allowed to if he asked. I think even supervised it would give him the impression that online chatting with strangers is "ok" and in my books it is not ok as a child or a teen of any age.
Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby organic momma on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:14 pm

I would let me son and do and he is ten.
His account is his nameanddad!
Why not sit in on the first skype chat, you will be able to figure out if that child is 13 or not
"It's not due to laziness that someone is poor, it's not due to a lack of ambition or lack of intelligence its because they lack things that we take advantage everyday" Living on one dollar a day
organic momma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby writermom on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm comfortable with my ten year old Skyping with friends he has met through gaming. Two of his best friends are actually kids he has met online- after months of online chat, one came up to Victoria to visit with his family, and we all had a great time... And we are headed to Washington to visit them both in a few weeks. My son's computer is in the living room, so I can hear the conversations. I think it's sensible to talk about safety, but I also think the Internet provides wonderful opportunities for kids and adults to connect with others who share our interests. It's good if they can learn to navigate that world with their parents' support.
writermom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Sunnygirl on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Sunnygirl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent