KIV Community

Great Wolf Lodge, WA

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Great Wolf Lodge, WA

Postby funmom on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:44 am

Anyone gone recently?
What's the best way to get there?
And best way to get home?
How many days/nights did you go for?
Is there anything else to do in the area, or do you just go to the Lodge for a couple days, then come straight back home?
And how did you book...did you phone? Or just organize it over internet?
Any tips?
We want to go with the kids soon but know nothing about it, other than that it's supposedly awesome :wink:
Thanks!
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr.Seuss
funmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Great Wolf Lodge, WA

Postby Aladora on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm

I've seen GWL on Groupon every now and then, might not be a bad idea to keep an eye out for a deal.
Susan
When life hands you lemons, ask for the tequila and salt!
Aladora
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Groupons as the pp mentioned offer some good deals for GWL.
Re how to arrive and return: We went via the Coho Ferry and it was a very nice way to go. The ferry takes 1.5 hours, is clean and it has a little snack bar and small gift shop.
We went for 2 nights and found that was a good amount of time.
There was not a lot to do other than GWL in the immediate area, but we did drive to the Woodland Zoo which has a diversity of animals living in large, natural, outdoor settings (not cages). You can also drive to Seattle of course and enjoy lots of things in Seattle (aquarium, space needle, children's museum etc).
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby funmom on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Ooooh.... how far away of a drive is Seattle from Great Wolf Lodge?
I've been looking for groupons, will have to check again, there are some "offers" out there on the website but of course they're not good for weekend days, only like a Sunday - Thursday kind of thing, and I work Mon - Wed.
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
-Dr.Seuss
funmom
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 am

The drive from GWL to Seattle is less than an hour (depends on the traffic). Woodland Zoo about another half hour or so past Seattle.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Yvonne A on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:50 am

I was just at GWL a couple weeks ago. I had bought a Groupon, and figured I had a good deal. It was not really a deal as I was billed in USA dollars. I found it was about $280 CDN a night booking through hotel, and converting to CDN. My Groupon ending up costing me $579.59 when my credit card statement came in. I did get $50 credit to spend in the hotel in that though ($25 a night).

We did pop over to the Safeway to buy food and bought stuff at a couple of the outlet stores. The area is Centralia. Otherwise we stayed in the hotel. At almost $300 a night, I figured that was where we would occupy ourselves!

We crossed the USA/Canada border at noon on Family Day and we didn't get to the resort until almost 5pm. We did stop for lunch, but it was really slow going. I had a hard time understanding why so many cars were pulled over for speeding, when I had a hard time going the speed limit. It took 3.5 hours to return to the border on the way home. Traffic was lighter in the Seattle area in the morning. If I go again, I will try the Coho going. And I will return the long way so I can buy cheese and stuff in Burlington or Bellingham at Costco.
Yvonne A
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Mamasboys on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 am

How long does the drive take from the coho? We're going next week and we were planning on taking the 7am ferry from Victoria but maybe the coho is a better option?
We went last year and here's what I learned: burrow wands from someone you know and just "fill them up" there. We stay 2 nights there and a 3rd night at a travelodge down the road. Then you get 3 full days to play in the waterpark. this time we bought a groupon but I ddint notice we were charged in US?? I'm sure it was Canadian... If you sign up for their emails they always send out deals as well. But only mid week. The rooms seem expensive but when you add in that you would Dailey pay $40 per person to play in a waterpark like that it's not that bad. Bring crocs, robes and extra PJs for the kids cause that's basically all they wear.
Eat breakfast and lunch in the room-there's a fridge, microwave and counter so it's easy.
Story time in the morning and evening is awesome. My kids loved it. Oh, and BRING WINE :lol: :lol: once you get there it expensive and hard to find and trust me, you are going to want it!

Mamasboys
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby barb on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:35 am

do the breakfast buffet in the resturant...it is only $10 per person and it is amazing. My kids ate $10 worth of bacon and sausage! I has everything you can imagine (omelet station, scrambled eggs, waffles, fresh fruit, hashbrowns, biscuts, oatmeal, cereal, toast, muffins, danish, bacon, sausage - it goes on and on)....we never had to each lunch.
barb
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:50 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Vaccin8tor on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:44 pm

GWL allows people checking in to use the water park from 1pm onwards on the check-in day - so back a bag of just swimsuits/towels/goggles/etc. so you can, if you get to the hotel before your room is ready, just go get changed and enjoy the water park until your room is ready.
Vaccin8tor
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Samandemma on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:49 pm

One thing that we found helpful in terms of a cost saving measure: There is a McDonalds just down the street from GWL (a 2 minute drive or 5 to 10 min walk). There are healthful options for meals: yogurt and fruit, snack wraps, salads etc. We found the break from GWL and the savings to be a good option.
Also, as a pp mentioned, there are fridges in the rooms so you can bring bread, milk, fruit, cereal etc to make breakfast or lunch.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent