KIV Community

Colonoscopy Experience-Anyone want to share

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Colonoscopy Experience-Anyone want to share

Postby owensmum on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:49 pm

[quote][/quote] So, I have to have my first Colonoscopy on Monday and it has me a bit anxious. I had a diverticulitis attack in November and I have still not fully recovered. I still live with the daily pain in various degrees, especially in one area of my stomach. Activity makes it worse. Seeing a Dietician soon.

Can anyone share there experience and how they found the procedure. Was the prep worse than the procedure. Have to start that tomorrow.
owensmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Colonoscopy Experience-Anyone want to share

Postby Samandemma on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:55 pm

I had one done about 10 years ago and I found that the amount of liquid prep that was prescribed was more than was necessary. I decided to go on a clear diet for 2 days prior and that helped with requiring less of the prescribed prep.
The procedure was not bad at all. One is sedated so that you don't really remember the procedure and very little discomfort. The meds are fast acting with little residual drowsiness after the procedure.
Best of luck with your procedure. It really is not bad at all and so important.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby ItsKim on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:43 pm

I have had 4 of them over the last 15 years or so. The last was about 2 years ago. The prep is by far the worst part of it. The last one I had used a different prep, but it was just as vile. I had a really, really hard time drinking the crap. I actually wasn't even able to drink all of it but was lucky that I had enough to clean me out anyway. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do when I have to have my next one because I know I can't drink that stuff again. They recommended mixing it in something (I can't remember what) and that did help ever so slightly, so did drinking it with a straw.

You will need to stay near the bathroom the days you are doing the prep. It hits you and you have to go right then. Buy yourself some nice 3-ply toilet paper as you will be doing a lot of wiping and things can get sore (TMI sorry).

The procedure itself isn't bad. You are sedated. I remember feeling pain and discomfort during one, but they just gave me more sedatives and it was fine after that. It doesn't hurt afterwards or anything. I remember being aware enough that I could roll over or tuck my legs or whatever they were asking me to do, so you aren't totally asleep, just sedated.

Don't be scared of the procedure though, it's a breeze! :)
ItsKim
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby owensmum on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Well I started the first dose a little after 1 pm today and not much has happened. I took the second dose an hour ago and nothing. Some gurgling going on and feeling bloated but nothing. Either this isn't going to work or it will hit me in the middle of night and won't get any sleep. I am drinking tons as my constant full bladder is reminding me.
owensmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby owensmum on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Wasn't sure it was going to happen as though the prep finally started to work it wasn't complete still by morning. Despite this though, I had my Colonoscopy done yesterday and tolerated it pretty well, except when they bent around the bend then I was in lots of pain and was quite uncomfortable so they had to top the sedation up. Slept pretty much all day yesterday and slept straight through the nigh. Today feeling sore in stomach, and in the back, and tired still. I am glad to have this over with.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience as it made my nerves a little more relaxed.
owensmum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:16 am

Sorry to hear that you experienced pain during the procedure but glad to hear that you were able to havegood relief with further sedation. Hope you recover quickly!
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Café Island Parent