KIV Community

Keep right except to pass

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Keep right except to pass

Postby quest on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:59 pm

I've heard that the ministry of highways is proposing penalties for people traveling in the left lane except to pass .
Sorry, not allowed to get in the left lane for left turns off the hwy anymore people .
Am I the only one who's blood boils at the thought of a plan not well thought out for the greater Vic area .
Please please please let's try this asinine idea for just one weekday between 5 and 6 on both the number one and the pat bay .
Maybe we could have people on bikes handing out free coffee by Mayfair no wait a minute... then people would need a pee break .
Maybe the cyclist could hold their spots .
Before people jump on me I agree we have many people who hog the left lane when it is not necessary .
Personally when I see signs saying keep right except to pass and I'm in the colwood crawl wondering how much the cabinet ministers salary is and how much the pretty sign costs ,man hours to make ,but hey I've got lots of thinking time in stuck in the crawl in the left lane after all .
Does this upset anyone but me ?
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Keep right except to pass

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:36 pm

The problem is, some people seem to think that they are pace cars and that as long as they are doing the speed limit or slightly under, that they can stay in the left lane since they aren't doing anything illegal. What should be happening is that people are moving with the flow of traffic which may actually be higher than the posted speed limit but is more efficient to keep traffic moving. If you move into the left lane to prepare to make a left hand turn, they are not going to ticket you. They are also not going to be handing out tickets in situations like the Colwood Crawl where it would make the situation worse if everyone were driving in the right hand lane. Its going to be a very hard rule to enforce and I don't think the cops are going to spend much time worrying about this unless its a case of an obvious left lane hog who has a line of cars 20 deep behind them.

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 2roses on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:44 pm

I have to drive the Pat Bay Highway several times per day. Trying to "keep right except to pass" is virtually impossible and unsafe. There are so many left turns, merges, lights, etc. not to mention how busy it is if we all drove in the right lane, we wouldn't get anywhere... They recently put up a shiny new "keep right" sign a few hundred feet from where hundreds of people need to turn left onto Keating. If my exit is coming up and I'm already above the speed limit in the left lane, I am not about to move over for an aggresive tailgater. I don't know what the answer is but ticketing people because they aren't flying out of the way for some jerk who wants to drive 140km isn't a very good solution.
2roses
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:35 pm

quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:03 pm

I also don't know if how many places left that there are left turns on a highway or freeway Vancouver island is one but overpasses are the norm .
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I am glad they have the signs because it is SO needed as slow people in the left lane cause accidents. The fines though can't see that working especially in rush hour. The Pat Bay is the WORST. So many times I have sat behind a left lane hog doing 70 for 20 miles in order to turn left.

I think it should be like in Montreal - allowed to honk to move people over. Signs are a good start. People learning how to drive and merge on a highway would be a better solution than fines. No fine but mandatory driving lessons on proper lane merging.

I have driven in Thailand, Panama, Costa Rica Montreal and a lot of other countries and BC is kind of a unique place where people actually accommodate and put up with pansy scared drivers. In Montreal if you don't know how to properly manage traffic speed and lane merging you take the bus.
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Benjorsam on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Steve Wallace, who writes a driving column in the TC every Friday, did an article on this yesterday and touches on some of the points that some of you have mentioned.

http://www.timescolonist.com/steve-wall ... -1.1791091

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby onceinvic on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:56 pm

When arguing that this new law makes no sense in Victoria, it kind of ignores the fact that it is a BC law. Enforcement will take context into account.

I think it is a great idea. If someone is tying up traffic (long line of cars behind them as they keep pace with the car in the right lane beside them), there needs to be recourse for police.
“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
onceinvic
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby brymommy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm

brymommy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby five-seven-five on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:08 pm

Sounds like a good law to me. I don't know how many times I have had to drive 65-70 km per hour in the 80 zone because the left lane was blocked on a perfectly dry, sunny, windless ,summer day on the Pat Bay Highway.

If people can't drive according to the conditions and traffic patterns and change lanes safely as they need to exit the highway, be it on the left or right, perhaps they should consider a bus, taxi, bicycle or a driver's ed course.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby bigaboy on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm

bigaboy
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby quest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Good post bigaboy thanks
quest
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby TazDevil on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Ivy-Girl on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Image Image
Quincy 1998 ~ 2010 | TUCKER - Aug.8/94~Mar. 5/07 |
~*~* IVY-GIRL~ Sept 9, 1994 ~ June 25, 2011 *~*~
\:D/ We're LIVING in the good old days!! \:D/
Ivy-Girl
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby TazDevil on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Steve Jobs
TazDevil
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Next

Return to Café Island Parent