KIV Community

Junk free Easter traditions?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Junk free Easter traditions?

Postby maxell on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:24 pm

What traditions do you have that avoid the Easter junk food or little toy contraptions that never get played with for more than a few minutes and end up as clutter?
maxell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Re: Junk free Easter traditions?

Postby kattnipp on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Lip balm, hair clips, new rain boots, craft stuff. This isn't what she gets each year just stuff we have done over the years. This year she needs new rain boots so she will get those plus hair clips and lip balm.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby maxell on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks. I think I'll use the rainboots idea.
maxell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby StitchedUp on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:20 pm

We've always done a small amount of candy plus a good toy, art supplies, or books.
StitchedUp
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby midnightly on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm

growing up i always got a new spring/summer toy.. it might be a ball, bubbles, beach chair,skipping rope, towel(this can also be bike accessories, roller blades, garden/yard games)basically stuff that encourages play outside...a book then a bit of chocolate/candy... last year i hid change (quarters, dimes, nickels) inside plastic eggs instead of just candy
midnightly
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Blacken on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 pm

We do a fresh bouquet of flowers in each child's room from the ebunny and the best dye-free goodies we can find (usually the day or two before easter bc I procrastinate haha) for a small treasure hunt. No gifts, crafts, etc.
"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad." ~unknown
Blacken
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Samandemma on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Home and garden Easter Egg hunts using plastic eggs (reuse them year after year) and fill them with things other than candy such as, Annie's chedder bunny crackers or bunny graham crackers, hair elastics, stickers, small cookies etc.
Decorate hard boiled eggs with crayons, dye, stickers and place in a special basket or bowl. Find a small branch of a tree in the yard and place it in a small vase or glass and decorate it with home-made Easter decorations such as small pieces of colourful wool or ribbons in spring colours or little mini-eggs with hanging ties (from Dollar Store) which can be used year after year.
When I was a child I would often get one new piece of clothing to enjoy at Easter such as a new shirt or dress or new shoes.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby 2plus2 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 pm

We have some treats but mostly fill plastic eggs with a combo of dried fruit or stickers.
2plus2
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby maxell on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas. I got organized last minute and wasn't as junk free as I hoped. Next year I'm thinking about scavenger hunt with compasses.
maxell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent