KIV Community

Rant - modern times

Get it off you're chest, good or bad - here's your chance to rant and rave about what's on your mind.

PS - You still need to be nice to one another!

Moderators: Brenda N, Keeper, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Rant - modern times

Postby OnceHarmony on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:53 pm

When I was a kid (I swore I would never say this and now I'm saying it all the time but anyhoo) packs of us would roam the neighbourhood. Riding our bikes, playing street hockey, skipping, walking to the corner store for candy, playing at the playground. You would step outside and there was always someone to play with.

Nowadays I try to set up playdates for my DD but can't. The other kids are either in soccer or swimming or baseball or practicing their piano or piccolo (or all of them) or they are already having a playdate and gawd forbid you have a more than 2 kids at one time playdate.

Or my favourite I've heard is "I don't know the parents" or "I'm not friends with the parents so my child can't be friends with theirs" Or they have siblings to play with. DD and I have been to the park where she has tried to join in with siblings who are playing and they ignore her.

My heart breaks for her.

Anyway, I just needed to vent. Thanks.
Your home is meant for living, not storage - Francine Jay
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Rant - modern times

Postby mamaof2yearold on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:04 am

Yes I agree, it's very difficult to set up a play date, as kids are so programmed these days or the parents are busy working, or they have to know the parents in order to have a play date!
mamaof2yearold
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby five-seven-five on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am

Aw.

I remember we always had impromptu play at the park when I was a kid. Maybe it still happens in small towns but you're right, I don't see much of it anymore in these parts.

I've said nothing helpful but I wrote this so you know that I hear you!
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby turtle on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I hear ya. Although our biggest problem setting up playdates is that all of DD's friends are single parent families so they can't have playdates on the weekend cause it cuts into daddy's time or mommy's time with them.
turtle
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby Myshkin on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:13 am

:-( I feel the loss of that unrestrained outside-play-kid-freedom for my girls too.

They do get it more often when the weather is good; the neighbourhood kids are more likely to be outside and DH and I more willing to pop in and out to check up on them.

My 7 year old seems to get her fill of socialization between school, a couple activities and occasional playdates. She doesn't feel like she's missing out. But my 5 year old is forever asking to knock on neighbours doors and ask them out to play. Sometimes it pans out but just being outside playing isn't the default anymore it seems. I wish for her that she had a big pack of neighbourhood children she could play with from afterschool till dusk. I wish for DH and I that we could just let them play outside without feeling the need to supervise so closely. That we could just "drink a tab and lock them outside":

The article doesn't totally connect but when I read it today some of the ideas synthesise with your modern times rant ;)
I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.
Sir Winston Churchill
Myshkin
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby OnceHarmony on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks everyone.

It's sad. She's given up even wanting playdates. I ask her if she wants me to call her friends but she says in such a sad voice that everyone is too busy to play.

I put her in some activities because it was just too hard setting up playdates but she just wants some play time with her friends outside of structured activities.
Your home is meant for living, not storage - Francine Jay
OnceHarmony
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby kattnipp on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:05 am

I don't let my child play inside houses of people I haven't met. I don't have to be best friends with them but I need to know where they live, parents name and phone number. Our girl is allowed to go outside and play in the neighbourhood with the kids running around. I also am not comfortable with kids playing in my house whose parents know nothing about us. I think it's important to know the name and contact info of where your child is.
Talk without offending.
Listen without defending.
kattnipp

Postby Jinxx on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:43 am

I read a very good book on this issue. Thought I would share.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/boo ... -item.html
Jinxx
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Return to Rants & Raves