KIV Community

Brand new driver areas?

Welcome to Café Island Parent, a place to meet with other parents and post comments on any topic you wish. Discuss movies you've seen, places you've been, or even your best method of taking time from the kids.

Note: Unless you are paid advertiser, business advertising is not permitted in this forum. For business advertising click

Moderators: Brenda N, Sue, Glowingtouch, kattnipp

Brand new driver areas?

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Wed May 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Any recommendations on quiet areas in the Westshore to start with a brand new driver? I started out in a mall parking lot but they are open all the time now and busy and scary for a brand new driver. TIA
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Re: Brand new driver areas?

Postby Samandemma on Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm

The straight portion of the road alongside the Esquimalt Lagoon would likely be a good spot in the non-rush hour traffic. Some parts of Metchosin Road would also be good (such as the area starting at the sign that says "Welcome to Colwood" (just before the gravel pit area) and along Metchosin Rd until Wishart Rd and back may be a good area for practice.
Samandemma
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Wed May 06, 2015 7:31 pm

This is a good question. I've been trying to find unfinished subdivisions which is where I learned to drive as I find these are the best places. No traffic but turns, stops and easy places to parallel park. There just doesn't seem to be too many of these. I'm thinking Belmont Park might a be a good place because its big an the speed limit is 30. Can you believe our baby girls are ready to drive now? I remember the day they started kindergarten and now they are almost done high school. My dd actually has no interest in getting her license but I do not want her to be like me who didn't get it until I was 31 or my dh who has never gotten his. I don't think she realizes how important it is to have it. But it still scares me to death to think of her driving at highway speeds in this city. :eek:

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby CR&D'S Mum on Wed May 06, 2015 8:52 pm

I know!! How are they 16??!!! Driving is scary but it does give you a lot of freedom and I think it is easier to learn when you are younger. Here R is a bit jealous because she has 3 years to go.

We drove around Metchosin she is actually pretty good for a new driver. Driving the tractor has paid off lol. We are planning to do either drivewise or Wallace driving after a few months when she has the basics. I think they would be much better at teaching parallel parking and then getting her ready for the road test. Thanks for the suggestions :)
CR&D'S Mum
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby Benjorsam on Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 pm

Benjorsam
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Region:

Postby five-seven-five on Thu May 07, 2015 7:14 am

Industrial areas are slow and pretty quiet. Also, school parking lots in the evening hours are great. Up and backward on your driveway if you have a bit of length is great too. I'm really good at parallel parking and I credit that with all of the backing up practice I had at the beginning in my driveway and an empty school parking lot.
five-seven-five
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Postby maxell on Thu May 07, 2015 6:52 pm

What about the arenas?
maxell
KI(vic) Member
KI(vic) Member

Return to Café Island Parent